Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever NOT lost weight?

Just wondering if anyone has not lost weight with the lapband? This forum is a great inspiration with reading the stories of everyone inching their way down to their goal weight. I cannot find if anyone has ever failed with the surgery. I guess I am a little nervous as I am getting banded on Jan 22.

about 5 years ago there was an angry young woman, forgot her name, that had a variety of issues obvious at least on line...

she was sporadic in posting & don't know her real issues....she insisted milk shakes, chocolate milk, snack Cookies & a couple other obvious bad choices, really were necessary for some reason.

The last I heard of her posts, she actually started following some rational dietary nutritional schedule and began losing some pounds.

any WLS will have successes and failures

due to patient compliance or possible other complications

for best results with any WLS, if we do as our dr advises (and nutritionists)

the results can be whatever the person wants.........and if a person stops giving a damn, not changing

what they eat or exercising, they end up bitter and pissing and moaning about it didnt work..

any WLS can and does work

and any WLS can also not work..

Cutlass, all above mentions are true. Having said that, I hear the fear of failure in your question, and I have to say: I was so scared that I would not be successful at this that I told only my husband and one close friend that I was having the band placed. I felt it was very possible that I would be the only person who did not lose 1 pound after surgery.

I'm basically at goal (a few pounds to go), and I have loved this journey. Simply because it is NOT another diet. You will understand after surgery, and it wish you all the success in the world! You can do it!

Thank you all very much for your support. Ladybandito, you hit the nail on the head. I am also terrified that I will be the only person on the planet not to lose weight, and the whole world will know it and laugh at me. Currently, only my husband and one friend knows about this surgery. The friend that knows about it-had the band 5 years ago. He told me it was the best money he has ever spent and does not regret it for a minute. I just can`t wait until the surgery date to arrive. I keep telling myself I have made a great decision(and I know I have). Now, back to the Protein shake diet for a week and a half.

Everyone of us has had that fear of failure.. After multiple attempts to lose weight and admitting defeat each time you become afraid to believe you can be successful... however, I do not regret my decision to have lapband... the first few weeks post op you think "why in the world did I do this?" but after you start feeling better and start eating some real food you realize how good you feel and will be thrilled everytime you reach a new goal... I have lost 55 lbs and have never felt better.. I am sure you will do great...

Hey cutlass - I'm just a month post op. So I don't have any long term data for ya. I was scared too. I was scared of failing in the first place - never losing at all or failing and gaining it all back. So far so good on the first part. I like how the band is adjustable (no fill yet for me) and you'll have negative reinforcement if you eat too much. That's why I chose the band. Good luck!

When I first started out I was really scared because my insurance company didn't cover the procedure and I had to pay for it on my own. It was a lot of money, but I felt that I needed to do something because my weight was getting out of control and nothing that i was doing was working.

I get that you are nervous because like others have said, you think it's just one more thing. This is not a cure-all or anything, you still have to work at it and make good choices & sometimes deal with your internal "demons." Personally, I am very happy with my decision to have weight loss surgery & I am 1/2 way to my goal at just under 4 months. I had 98 pounds to lose at my first doctor's appointment.

Just think positive, and do everything your doctor tells you& you should be just fine! I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted :)

re: "I am also terrified that I will be the only person on the planet not to lose weight, and the whole world will know it and laugh at me."

.......this isn't going to be effective for you......I personally dithered and faunched and worried this one to death myself years ago.

It's good to admit it though.

Perhaps get photos of yourself now in a given pose at a particular place wearing as little as you feel comforable with, perhaps gym shorts or bathing suit of some kind.

Save the photo for yourself. And save those duds for later. In a matter of months you will be totally surprised.

Another helpful hobby: measure yourself arm/trunk/legs/head band/ around arch of foot.

Add up the inches in your hand written journal. In about a month take another measure, photos. Usually by about 6 months out you'll be surprised/pleased/amazed/.

Cheers on your journey.

I never heard of people never loosing weight...there are many stories where people initially lost, only to gain it back...sometimes it takes years in the process....

Sounds like me with the traditional diets I have been on, always lost, only to gain it back..plus some!

But the band is different...WLS in itself is for those who have tried and failed time after time at traditional dieting....a "Last Resort"....and it DOES WORK....and IMO, the only way it can fail is if WE get in the way and decide to not let the band do what it was designed to do....it is adjustable, and can be set to just about any degree of function you find you want to be....

My band is set right where I want it, have lost all my excess body weight and fat...have returned to a good, healthy normal weight with a very low body fat %...has been that way for over 2 years now.....all because of where and how the band is adjusted....

I can go to my Dr. and ask to have some Fluid taken out...( I have no reason to do so)...and if I did, I'm am certain I will start to gain weight back....would the gain continue to the point where I first started??? I do not want to find out.

But THIS DOES WORK!!!!!!

Edited by B-52

Of course people could have this surgery and not lose a single lb/gain everything back!

It's depressing to watch it though... they get such a useful tool and then either can't emotionally give up food, or don't understand how to properly use the band

Personally, when I got my band it was a "do or die" situation- meaning that this was IT

i told myself that if this doesnt work then I'l be trapped in an obese body forever... a horrifying thought!

Even though my band isn't properly adjusted (yet) 1.5 years later I have still lost over 65 lbs

I've never been happier although I wish my band would start working for me already :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by Lapbandster

We're all in the same boat. I have that fear everyday that I will not be successful. I'm a little over a year post op and I have lost but did have a 3 lb gain two months ago. I'm back on track now. I've lost about 80 lbs and still have a ways to go.

yes there are people who won't lose. Or more like what B52 said, they lose and then they gain back. A small number may be the result of complications, but most won't be. I have lived without a functioning band for 15 months when it was leaking and I gained. Because it is harder without the band. The flipside of that is, it's EASIER with the band.

What the band doesn't do though, is make sure you get regular aftercare to ensure you get the right fill level. It doesn't make sure you're informed and learning about how to live life with a band. It doesn't make you exercise and get more active. It DOESN'T stop you putting food in your mouth, or grazing all day long on milkshakes and chocolate, if that's your inclination.

So yes ^^ there are lots of little ways people can NOT lose weight. Assuming the band is going to do it all for you is probably the fastest way to failure. It makes it easier, it doesn't do it for you. And as long as people have free will, some will still choose not to do what it takes to lose weight, and that's ok, as long as they own their choices.

Just choose to not be one of those people. :)

Edited by lellow