Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Bout New Zealand

Hi everyone, how is everyone doing in NZ? I live in Auckland and I am in the process of seeing the doc, I have lots of appointments for different doctors...very exciting!

Did any of you see 60 minutes tonight? My friend phoned me to tell me to watch it, because it was about weight loss surgery, but I wasn't home and missed it! Bummer! She said it was scary looking but is not sure what type of surgery it was that they were showing, now I'm dying to know what it was all about......So if anyone can shed some light on it, that would be great.

Thanks for that Tracy, it looks as though it was probably all about a gastric bypass....but it doesn't actually say, so I'm only guessing.

thats what i thought - how is the progress going with the doc/surgeon visits? i have my appointment to see the surgeon for the first time tmrw - a little bit nervous!

Hi Tracy,

Well, how did it go?? Was it worth worrying about?

I have my first appointment on Monday...I'm very nervous, but not too sure if I'm more that the doc might tell me that for some reason I can't have the surgery or that I'm the perfect patient!! I really want to have the surgery done, but I'm so scared of hospitals and needles, its not funny. I suppose this is where I have to look at the bigger picture and be really brave.

Looking forward to hearing all about your appointment

Tia.

Well, it went well - provisional date booked for surgery - 11 Dec - though that is still to be confirmed.

The surgeon was really nice - he explained everything very well.

I have to go have an ultrasound to check out the size of my liver and to also have a look at my gallbladder as i have a family history of gallstones. He said he might take that out while he is there depending on what he finds in the ultrasound.

I have to go see a dietician also, I have phoned, I am waiting to confirm an appointment time.

I go back to the surgeon on 27th of Nov.

So things are moving ahead - there will be no xmas lunch for me this year!!

Wow, Tracy that all sounds fantastic!!

Your right there will be no Christmas dinner for you, great isn't it. Your going to be a real slim Jim before you know it.:eek:

When do you start the pre-op diet, did the surgeon mention that?? I'd be interested to see whats involved. Did you go and see the surgeon in Auckland, Dr.Fris?

Keep in touch.

Tia.

I am in Hawke's Bay - I am using a local surgeon.

I have an appointment to see the dietician on the 7th. The surgeon said you have to diet for 2 weeks before - the dietician said it is Optifast - which sounds positively disgusting. Then that is what I have for 2 weeks afterwards also.

Good luck for Monday - I hope it all goes well.

Hi all I have not been on since 15th August! Shocking, so i have bookmarked this as a favourite again, my computer totally died and I lost everything..... sobs

I will have to go back to the beginning of the thread and catch up on all the news, then will post again tonight LOL

I am doing ok, have been staying the same the past two months to be honest and had lost restriction but not realised it.... Duh the brain takes awhile to catchup I am sure.... I had a small fill yesterday so at 8cc now. Full again LOL why did I take so long to get another fill!

Anyway just to say hi, and talk with you all this evening maybe.

Karen

Hey there everyone

I have not been on here for ages. Haven't had a lot of time to sit on here and check out how everyone is going - so time for some updates please. I thought it was time to update my Ticker Factory gauge and update it on here since I have been on the scales this morning and had another loss. Gosh how it makes you more determined when you are getting good results. It has been 8 months now since my op and now I have lost 26.7kg (58.86lbs) I am now just over half way to my goal - bring it on I say. Last week my gym instructor did my measurements and since I started at the gym 6 months ago I have lost 46cm all over, so clothes are getting too big (that would be a first) so looking forward to my holiday in Oz in December and my check out a few shops for some new clothes. I was always the one to miss out in the shopping department because nothing ever fitted my - so kids and husband got the goodies.

Well it would be really great to here how everyone else is doing these days.

Regards to All

Dale

Hi All,

My name is Sara and I went for my first appointment with Robert Fris on Thursday. I was very impressed with the set up he has there with the psychologist etc. I really want to go for the surgery but the problem is now that my boyfriend it getting a promotion and we have to move to Christchurch in a month and a half.

I have had a look at the website for the place there but they don't seem to have the same level of support and people there to help.

Could someone who has been to the ChCh surgeons reassure me that they are just as good, and if they do not have the dieticians etclike they do in Akl that you did not feel there was something missing from your experience.

I am worried I will really struggle with this liquid diet thing, as pretty much all of you have said it is horrible!

Am I right in thinking it is hardest pre-op and not as much of a struggle after?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I really want to do this, but I worried it will fail.

Thanks, :help:

Sara

Hi there Sara

Well I was number one to have the op in ChCh. I had Grant Coulter as my surgeon and he has been really great. I had my op at the beginning of March this year and being the first I guess it was very new for everyone - even down to the nurses at the hospital - but I got there. I have since lost 27kg and feeling great. They now do have a psychologist on board and also a dietician who is a lovely lady. And as for Grant's office staff - they are brilliant too and really supportive. So there is plenty of support and also there is a group of us that get together regularly for a coffee catch up and that is excellent too and if need be, we jump on the phone for a chat.

So all in all I wouldn't be getting too concerned. I know they have been extremely busy with them here and there are people coming to chch for the op from all over the South Island.

As for the Opti Fast diet prior to op - well it is what you make of it. Certainly a huge change in your life and you start loosing weight on that and thats really encouraging but at the end of the day it is only two weeks out of a life time. You do get thru it because we are all after the same thing - the end result being the success of doing this - loosing the weight and being healthy with no risk of illnesses that come with obesity. So for two weeks you just have to suck it up and get going with it.

You will only fail if you talk yourself into it. You have to really want it and then it will all fall into place.

I hope I have been of some help to you. Me personally I feel this is the best thing that I have ever in my life, done for myself and my family.

Please if you do want to know any more - do not hesitate to ask as there is always someone around to reply.

Take care and get the ball rolling - you won't regret it in the slightest.

Regards

Dale

Christchurch NZ

Hi ya all you kiwis

Its been awhile since I have been on here and there looks like there is so much to catch up on.

I am now 3 1/2 months out from surgery and I have had three fills and finally with the last couple I can really start to feel the restriction and finally my weight has started to shift.

So how is everyone going? It would be great if there was some way to organise a kiwi catch up - to share experiences,advice etc.

Hope everyone is well!!

Bex

Hi all,

Well my big day is drawing near - this time next week i will be starting my Optifast diet - for the two weeks pre-op.

Haha - i still haven't informed work i will be requiring time off - however i am sure it won't be an issue - i will make up some little fib.

i am a bit nervous about xmas etc ... i don't mind the not eating but i am more worried about what others will say to me - question me etc.

i really am so excited though, inspite of all the nervousness and worry - this will be a great new beginning - and i will be looking and feeling fabulous in no time!

:)

ps - i was one of the lucky ones - southern cross is making a nice generous donation towards my surgical costs.