Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon won't operate because I complained

Yep I've had the same thing with Sentara Comprehensive Weight Loss Center, but the issue was more on not recognizing complications, nutrition not being followed nor worked with, records were a problem. The attitude there, someone once stated (in a nutshell) that if you were "easy pickings" then it was fine, but if there were problems, they would dump you.

I am starting to post my records excerpts online at bariatrichelp.wordpress.com and getting together hints/tips so people can look through and make decisions before they get into a program. I'll be adding more.

Once people see the records, its quite an eye opener. If you want to see a tough case, and how things are handled, I'm a poster child for that. I don't want people to suffer the same things I did, and maybe giving them my experiences and what doctors have helped me would help others have an easier time.

One of the examples is that in November 2012 my urgent care PCP believed I had neuropathies by malnutrition (which I was diagnosed with after the surgery). The plastic surgeon said the same thing in Jan. The bariatric surgeon didn't. However, things have grown progressively worse and they're all saying nutrition. The medical literature indicates that this can be an issue of bariatric surgery, but the surgeon never picked up on it but an urgent care FP was the first one to figure it out.

I've gotten flak for pointing it out but the facts are there in my records and medical literature.

Vic

Edited by swimbikerun

I'm in the hospital now, had surgery yesterday. I'm so glad I switched!

Glad you were able to switch and get your procedure. Did you file a formal complaint about the surgeon's office? I would blast the unprofessionalism of his staff and personally send him an email of your ordeal. From a business standpoint-if that surgeon is unaware of the rudeness of his office staff, they could be destroying his business/reputation without him knowing. I can't imagine any reputable doctor putting up with that.

The group doesn't want to hear it. I put in additions to my medical records and the admin didn't put them in there, as far as I can tell. When I first went thru the Privacy Office, they're allowed 60 days by law to get the stuff wrapped up and didn't. Eventually they added them any way. So I finally said stop sending anything to the office and I'll just add the issues as they're getting worse and the medical research/literature behind what is going on. Thankfully the hospital/admin group allowed that. So at least a number of inconcistancies that I found in my records were able to get the data and corrections to help me get better care.

The problem is that without any care in the area, I have no way except for medical evidence to tell the current group of docs this is what is going on. They look at bloodwork, but only if it is way way skewed do they think about doing anything. I got told today by one doctors' office that the blood work is "NORMAL!".

I went hmmm CO2 high limit is 30 and mine is 32. Normal huh? Metabolic alkalosis happens when the CO2 goes high and one of the causes is hypoalbuminemia. Anion gap is lower than usual. Hypoalbuminemia causes that ... from malnutrition.

I've got other bloodwork starting to skew to levels that are technically normal but have never been normal for me. However, the computer says it is normal. Of course doctors tell you don't google stuff and don't allow the computer to judge you but the bloodwork, symptoms, medical research, all fits into malnutrition that has been causing neuropathies since 2012 and the like be a problem.

Trying to tell a doctor anything, when I've been doing this since November 2012 ... its just not working. I would rather spend the time I have trying to educate people so that they know the complications, what can happen with a doctor because you may not have any care in the area, and what their priorities might be.

Every link I have indicates a 45% profit margin. That's a great reason to keep me quiet.

The lawyer letter I should put up. One of the things claimed is that I made harrassing phone calls to the surgeon's group. I have my phone records showing the last calls came from them, not me (as the last 2-3 phone calls). I never parked at their parking lot or been on their property since ... picking up my records during office hours with permission of the office manager and got accused of being on their property. I got the police called on me several times and the cops came out saying she isn't on your property and she can walk on the public sidewalk. I have never yelled or cursed at any one going to their office. I have had 2 occasions where people were going to the wrong doors to see them and I said hey no, its this door. The people said thank you. I had one lady I wished good luck and she said thank you.

and for this the police are called on me.

Amazing ... but I say this because people should know the truth. No one deserves this. I've never sent a lawyer after them and never had any intention of doing so. I asked that they learn about complications. They don't want me telling people that but I do have the right and ability to say hey here is medical evidence here is what happens to me, if you want, examine it and try to help yourself.

Edited by swimbikerun

Call another hospital and tell them you have been approved but want to change hospitals. Leave it at that. I changed hospitals and told them if they couldn't get me in two months I would need to go elsewhere because it had to be done so my insurance would pay. I was done in a month and a half.

How did this all go Greensleeve? I have had a bad experience also, one where I asked for help and didn't get it. There are a few other things going on also but suffice it to say that they don't want me talking about my experience but then they shouldn't have dropped my care when it appears from other docs I had issues going on and they noted in my care that I was trying. Among other things ...

I want to add more so that people like you and others aren't harmed and others are aware of what goes on. I know I've been followed, have been "gang stalked" and am constantly photo'ed, watched, etc. by this doctors' office. I've been on public property and had the cops called on me several times and they've told the doctor "ignore her, leave her alone".

I meant when I called in November they said they were full.
That woman is the office manager. I have no way to talk to him and at this point I don't want anything to do with them other than letting other people know what happened to me.

I also had a problem with an office manager for a bariatric doctor I visited. She was inappropriate and rude so her and I had words. I asked to speak to the doctor but she refused to allow me to speak with him. When I said I would simply wait in the waiting room (I was there for a consultation) to talk to the doctor when he had a moment, she threatened to have me removed if I didn't leave on my own (meaning, she was willing to call the police even though I never yelled or made any threats). My husband and I were so offended at her behavior. I sent two letters to the doctor, but he refused to call or otherwise contact me regarding the unprofessional behavior of his office manager. I complained to the medical group and the health insurance as well and neither of them did anything to assist me in resolving the situation.

Because of this (and other more minor reasons), I changed medical groups and I was able to see another doctor, who, along with his staff, is far superior. This medical group operates in a Bariatric Center of Excellence while the previous doctor did not. I actually feel now that the other doctor did me a huge favor for showing what a total ass he was before I gave him a chance to operate on me.

Edited by HaddocksEyes

Let me point out that in not many areas you can do this. In my area, the main "monopoly" has written agreements/legal agreements about not seeing other doctors in the 2nd biggest group. So they can't see me. The other ones, the doctor there knew/worked with my doctor AND plays golf with another in the group. So they're not going to see me. I can't constantly go out of the area to spend a whole day with a doctor from another area because of all the other problems, cost, work, etc.

That's why I tell people to investigate the situation BEFORE they get into it. What is really wrong is that these doctors attempt to intimidate (follow, gang stalk, security guards when you are on public areas, lawyers) you into not telling the story so that others benefit. If all they care about is their jobs and the like, then they shouldn't have acted that way when you're with them or they should apologize.

In my case nothing was done at my complaints at the local level so I went higher up. Especially after the 2 days after filing a HIPAA complaint and being dropped and retaliation being illegal by law, the fact that I've never sent lawyers or anything to them but just said you make a mistake, you fix it, what does it say about this doctor?

Again, while it works you can go elsewhere, I want people to check and make sure they can. I asked for another doc and got the one I was assigned (which actually is a good thing because the doctor I wanted operated and never followed up with someone until 2 months later and that was because the patient called). This guy can do some things right - operating is one of them. Now, no care.

So really check, because my situation is not one where you want to be in.

Wow... run as fast as you can AWAY from that practice. Find a surgeon and practice that will welcome questions and concerns and has your best health and progress in mind. If that surgeon is the only game in town... research the nearest metro area or find a support group where you can talk to someone that can give you some leads for a caring physician. Don't give up!

I switched a month before my surgery after getting similar runaround a from my original surgeon. The new docs were awesome and the hospital was a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

After 6 months of getting the runaround from my first doc, they told me finally that they would submit for approval-a process they said would take a month.Then they said they didn't have openings for surgery until May ( this was in December.)

I went to my new doc on January 8 and was in the OR on Feb 11. All I ever paid for was the initial consultation at the first docs office. How much did they charge you for all the stuff they did??

I had my surgery by Dr Minkin 3-19-2014. I had severe complications after. he misdiagnosed me and referred me to dr Scott. I wanted to be referred to Dr Egan at Barnes. Dr Minkinsaid he was too busy to call or write an email to refer me. The only dr he would send me to was dr Scott. I threw up daily had nausea 24/7, didn't eat for 5 weeks and lived in bed for about 7 months. It was horrible I literally felt like I was dying. I lost 130. I'm doing good now but dr Scott wants me to have a gastric bypass done to fix the bile reflux. I don't want to have the surgery because I got so sick after the sleeve. I want a second opinion by dr Egan but dr Scott won't refer me to Barnes either. I think their practice has major problems.

I have to have a physician referral since I've already had the Sleeve procedure & need a 2nd procedure. My current surg wants me to have gastric bypass done. I won't have it done until I can get a second opinion. The doctor I want to see for the 2nd opinion requires it. Since I've already had one surg it complicates things. Usually surgeons will not take over other drs patients.

Laurie

Can you discuss the situation with him or with another doctor to get in?