Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 random post-op questions

I'm going to be sleeved on the 13th of this month and I have a few random questions..

1. what exactly does the pain feel like right after surgery?

2. do they let you wear underwear during surgery?

3. were you able to use the restroom by yourself?

4. is there a trick to making it less painful when getting up or sitting?

Edited by ElliottWasHere

<p>I'm going to be sleeved on the 13th of this month and I have a few random questions..</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>1. what exactly does the pain feel like right after surgery?</p> <p> </p> <p>2. do they let you wear underwear during surgery?</p> <p> </p> <p>3. were you have to use the restroom by yourself?</p> <p> </p> <p>4. is there a trick to making it less painful when getting up or sitting?</p>

Well I'm sure that everyone could answer these questions differently but here's my take:

1. There wasn't really pain when I very first woke up but over the next couple hours just general soreness. I only asked for pain medicine twice while in the hospital for 30 hours.

2. Nope, nakey, nakey.

3. They will help you get there. Using it wasn't as hard as I expected, just lower and raise slowly.

4. Use yours ARMS!! And support your abs with a pillow. And use you back muscles more, but they get sore so I like my heating pad. And don't BEND OVER to pick things up unless you have to. If so go very slowly.

Yours may be totally different but that's mine.

HW 320

SW 313

CW 291 22 pounds in 22 days!!

<p>I'm going to be sleeved on the 13th of this month and I have a few random questions..</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>1. what exactly does the pain feel like right after surgery?</p> <p> </p> <p>2. do they let you wear underwear during surgery?</p> <p> </p> <p>3. were you have to use the restroom by yourself?</p> <p> </p> <p>4. is there a trick to making it less painful when getting up or sitting?</p>

Well I'm sure that everyone could answer these questions differently but here's my take:

1. There wasn't really pain when I very first woke up but over the next couple hours just general soreness. I only asked for pain medicine twice while in the hospital for 30 hours.

2. Nope, nakey, nakey.

3. They will help you get there. Using it wasn't as hard as I expected, just lower and raise slowly.

4. Use yours ARMS!! And support your abs with a pillow. And use you back muscles more, but they get sore so I like my heating pad. And don't BEND OVER to pick things up unless you have to. If so go very slowly.

Yours may be totally different but that's mine.

HW 320

SW 313

CW 291 22 pounds in 22 days!!

thank you so much! that was extremely helpful =D

2. I went under wearing paper knickers (sexy!) and awoke sans said item. My husband joked the surgeon probably has a collection on his office wall. Way to make a girl paranoid!

Double post

Edited by Mrs Havelock

1. I was on drugs through my IV. I felt nothing in terms of pain. The nausea was what affected me. Everyone is different, but I couldn't even sip Water without dry-heaving. It was tough for a couple days, but it's all good now!

2. No undies.

3. I had a toilet in my room. (Sorta like a jail cell. :P ) I could go on my own, just had to drag my little friend, the IV pole along with me. No problems.

4. I kinda rolled onto my side and used my arms.

Good luck!

I'm going to be sleeved on the 13th of this month and I have a few random questions..

3. were you have to use the restroom by yourself?

I likened the discomfort ( It really was not bad) to what it feels like after doing a ton of sit-ups. Tylenol and using a heating pad helped most with this for me.

Nope, no undies.

I had a cathedar until the day after surgery, but lots of folks don't... they will help you up if you need.

A small pillow helped greatly. I slept in a recliner for the first few nights. The hardest position for me to get up from initially was laying flat.

Speaking for myself of course, hope this helps.

Most of my pain was on my incisions themselves. And I wouldn't call it pain really. It was more like a tightness. Same as with any large cut. I had no internal pain at all. My larger incision was tacked down to my abdominal wall so when ever I tried to sit up or move the wrong way it would pull. But it was more annoying than anything. That eventually released and after that I didn't feel any more pain what so ever. Of course everyone has different pain tolerances, mine happens to be pretty high.

2. Do they let you wear underwear during surgery?

I was completely nude under my gown. I was extremely worried about this too. I was insecure about having so many people around me while I was completely naked. But once you put your gown on they gave me blankets that I covered up with the entire time I was awake. To answer you question, No. They told me to take them off.

I tried to go by myself about 4 hours after my surgery. Bad ideal lol. I made a mess. I recommend a spouse or family member to be there to help you the first time if you are not sure of yourself. I wish I wouldn't have been stubborn lol.

4. Is there a trick to making it less painful when getting up or sitting?

I found there was only two ways that I would not be able to feel any discomfort. One was to left my wife pull me up from the couch/recliner and or I would basically roll off the couch and lift myself with my legs and back. After a few days I could gradually get up with no to little pain though. If you take your meds like you should then I don't think the pain is going to be that severe that you will not be able to get up at all.

Edited by Bigbeaz

No real pain, maybe some discomfort. And they had GOOD drugs in the hospital. No Worries!

Nope, bare butt naked... and you'll lose any modesty within 10 minutes of your arrival at the hospital.

Yes, from the very start.

Just a little soreness for me. Did not impair my mobility much at all... My biggest deal in the acute recovery time was fatigue. I was REALLY tired and slep and napped a LOT!

Hi, not to scare you AT ALL but my situation was different. First off let me answer ur post... I had pain but I had a hernia repaired as well which led to what was called esophageal spasms. Bc of them that is the ONLY pain I had. It was enuff. Other than that, I've had no nausea, gas pains, incision pains, nothing but like I said, my trade off was the spasms:/ . As for undies, nope, they placed a catheter in me after I'd been sedated. It stayed in for 4 days bc of my spasms, they didn't want me moving around much. Once Cath removed, I was allowed tgt potty alone but bc of iv, they do help u so as not to trip, but all in all I did it by myself. When getting up, I found that raising the head completely up n legs down, and bedrail up to help hold myself steady, again, no pain but spasms. And once back in bed, same thing, head raised, sit closer to head of bed, once legs on bed, raise legs so u don't pull incisions, then scooch back until ur comfortable. Basically, take all day if need be, don't rush it. I'm finally home after a week n a day, but not due to surgical pain:) God Bless and don't stress it. We all are different, u may be a super star!!

Edited by DeezJeanz

1. what exactly does the pain feel like right after surgery? No real pain right after surgery just a little confusion and nausea

2. do they let you wear underwear during surgery? No undies

3. were you able to use the restroom by yourself? My husband helped me because of the iv pole, but I took care of business by myself

4. is there a trick to making it less painful when getting up or sitting? My husband would help me sit up. I would kind of tense my arms and he would pull me up with them. But I was able to get up with minimal discomfort in 36 hours or so.

Good luck!

3. were you able to use the restroom by yourself?

1. I had a hernia repair as well. But that wasn't my only pain. My entire stomach felt like I'd been kicked with a steel-toed boot. Only the big incision was a bit painful but that was no big deal really. They had me on dilauded and it didn't touch my pain, it just made me sleepy. I didn't get any pain relief until I got switched to liquid vicodin the next day.

2. No underwear... But I had on this weird, giant gown that was paper outside and had a thin double layer of plastic inside. It confused me until in pre-op I nearly froze to death. They hooked up this hose to a flap in the paper part of the gown and it started blowing hot air. The plastic part blew up like a hot balloon. My husband laughed at how silly it looked. But I was in heaven. I know it doesn't really apply to your question, but I'm just illustrating how low of a priority no underwear quickly becomes. Lol

3. The very first time, the nurse instructed me the best way to get out of bed, step by step. But I went alone every time problem. Just a little supervision the first time. Here's what I was told: Reach across your body with your arm. Grab the opposite rail. Pull yourself into a sitting position. Wait (for dizziness our nausea to go away). Slowly push yourself into standing. Wait again. Slowly shuffle into the bathroom. Use the handrails to lower yourself onto the toilet (or stabilize yourself in front of it). Use handrails to push self up. Slowly shuffle back to bed. Hold gown open in back like wings with one hand so you don't choke yourself when you slide back in bed. Use bed rails to lower self back into bed backwards. Slowly swing legs back into bed.

I didn't get to carry my iv around. Every time I had to go, a nurse would come in and unhook everything: electrodes, oxygen finger thingy, oxygen cannula, leg compressors, and iv. Then they'd come hook me up again after I was back in bed. For me, it was every two hours like clockwork.

4. See #3

Edited by Nevermore

Right after surgery I was so doped up on the meds life was good. I'm 10 days out and the majority of my pain was in one particular incision site of the 5. (I assume it's the one the pulled my stomach out of!!)

No underwear, one hospital gown and plenty of warm blankets! Trust me, as a healthcare provider, we've seen it all... Trust!!

Yes, you can use the bathroom by yourself. I did immediately when I got to my hospital room from post op. And from the bathroom I went and got my first few laps around the nurses station. You can do it!!

Finally, as far as avoiding the pain... It's there, you'll learn what's easiest for you and do awesome!! Stay positive and you'll do great!!

Good luck!!! ;)

I'm two days post-op now.

The pain to me feels like not-too-bad menstrual cramps, just in the upper abdominal area instead of the lower abdomen.

Nope, no underwear.

They put a Foley catheter in me at first, and they wouldn't discharge me until I urinated on my own, but I was able to get to the toilet with minimal help.

The trick to getting up is to go slowly and use your legs and arms to help lift your body. Try not to use your abs or back, because they will protest.

Everyone has answered all questions, just wanted to add. My first question to my nurse when I was brought to my room after surgery, Can I put on panties please? lol