Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No more high blood Pressure!

Had a follow up with my surgeon yesterday and I am officially down 52 lbs since my Nov 26 surgery. I really happy about that, but I was crazy excited when he told me to stop taking my meds because my BP has been too low. WOW!! I was hoping to be off my meds is 6 months, but 6 weeks!! It is so worth any challenges I may face. Even my primary care doctor is amazed!

Half way to my goal!

Fantastic. Way to go!

I too did the sleeve for diabetes AND super high blood pressure. I was on two max dosage BetaBlockers now only on one. My overall goal is to get off all the meds.

Thank you for posting.

i will keep on working the sleeve.

Congratulations. .. what an awesome accomplishment. . On both fronts

Had a follow up with my surgeon yesterday and I am officially down 52 lbs since my Nov 26 surgery. I really happy about that, but I was crazy excited when he told me to stop taking my meds because my BP has been too low. WOW!! I was hoping to be off my meds is 6 months, but 6 weeks!! It is so worth any challenges I may face. Even my primary care doctor is amazed!

Half way to my goal!

WARNING:

After losing 100 lbs, I also went off my 3 blood pressure pills - all at once. 6 mths later, I felt the telltale HBP headache and went to the store to take my bp (was on vacation at my in laws in Ca). It was 170/110. I decided to take a few of my MIL bp pills for 3 days. Kept an eye on my bp. 3 days later, I called my dr in Oregon and he advised me to go to the ER (especially when I mentioned that the left side of my face was tingly). By the time I went about my day and decided to go to the ER, my bp was 215/144 and I had weakness on my left side.

I'm 46 and had a TIA (a "pre stroke") from uncontrolled hypertension. I had no idea my bp was mloving up slowly. The cardiologist told me to never stop taking the meds for the rest of my life, even if I'm at goal weight and my bp is normal. I hafta take it forever.

Not trying to scare anyone, just warning u about going off bp meds cold turkey. They really should taper u off. Some people have heriditary hypertension and no matter how much weight we lose, it continues. My case.

Good luck! Congrats on the loss, btw! WTG!!!

WARNING: After losing 100 lbs, I also went off my 3 blood pressure pills - all at once. 6 mths later, I felt the telltale HBP headache and went to the store to take my bp (was on vacation at my in laws in Ca). It was 170/110. I decided to take a few of my MIL bp pills for 3 days. Kept an eye on my bp. 3 days later, I called my dr in Oregon and he advised me to go to the ER (especially when I mentioned that the left side of my face was tingly). By the time I went about my day and decided to go to the ER, my bp was 215/144 and I had weakness on my left side. I'm 46 and had a TIA (a "pre stroke") from uncontrolled hypertension. I had no idea my bp was mloving up slowly. The cardiologist told me to never stop taking the meds for the rest of my life, even if I'm at goal weight and my bp is normal. I hafta take it forever. Not trying to scare anyone, just warning u about going off bp meds cold turkey. They really should taper u off. Some people have heriditary hypertension and no matter how much weight we lose, it continues. My case. Good luck! Congrats on the loss, btw! WTG!!!

Yes they should taper you off! Some bp meds will cause "rebound hypertension" if you stop abruptly. I'm glad everything worked out for you :-)

Edited by nursekimberly89

I went off all my blood pressure meds at about three months out (it's been awhile so I don't remember exact timing). Eventually, maybe about a year out, blood pressure started going up again. I now take smaller doses of two meds.

Pre op I took three meds. So even if you go off them for awhile without a problem, keep an eye on it as time goes by. Of course, I'm nearer 60 than 50, so I'm sure that's part of it for me.

Lynda

Marfar7, thanks-they did wean me off the meds. Prior to coming off completely they had reduced the amount I was taking by half two times.

I will certainly continue to monitor my BP.

Thanks everyone!

So glad you found out at the office. I'm actually a provider myself and found out the hard way I did not need my BP meds. I was so embarrassed I actually passed out in the bathroom at work. I felt like a genius! So dah! no need for Lisinopril any more! Geesh..."we" make the worst patients.

That's spectacular, well worth the wait, even though it was a short one, congrats.