Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grocery bill since surgery?

Early on, not much because I was purchasing bariatric products on line. Now, I am in week 3 post-op and eating very little. My boyfriend just buys bachelor food for himself, so I would say our grocery expense has gone way down.

I have not saved a lot because the quality of food has gone up..i buy only the best of everything because I deserve it...I am also looking for different recipes that look nice and taste great so I am always buying new spices and eating things I never ate before...Good stuff..lol

Yeah I figured the grocery bill will become more expensive. It cost more to eat healthy for instance after surgery I'm going to start substituting pork and some beef( mainly pork) for turkey products like ground turkey, turkey bacon ect. and turkey is much more expensive than pork, BUT the fast food and dining out bill will definitely decrease, so I guess it will weigh itself out.

Mine hasn't changed much. Better food costs more.

I save at least $400 a month. Not so much on my grocery bill. Just eating out. $8 a day on lunch out adds up. When we dine as a family i just add a side salad or extra side and no drink for me.

I save at least $400 a month. Not so much on my grocery bill. Just eating out. $8 a day on lunch out adds up. When we dine as a family i just add a side salad or extra side and no drink for me.

Seems that when you eat out (restaurant) you eat out (girth)

I am single, so my grocery bill was a bit too high prior to surgery as I could easily stop for restaurant food every night if I wasn't careful. Since surgery I'd say I spend about half what I used to on food - because even what I get at a restaurant lasts for 2 (sometimes 3) meals now, where before I would just hoover it all down. Or, I buy half what I used to. Either way, big savings.

I take my lunch to work each day. I'm taking less food and better food than I used to, but it's still a money savings. It's all meats and cheeses in small ziplocs - some days I can't eat everything I pack, so the rest goes back in the fridge for the next day. On top of just my general meal savings, I also don't stop for Snacks anymore (sugary & fried yummies are no more!) I don't buy candy or Cookies with my groceries, and I don't buy champagne anymore. All this has really added up for me. I think I have made up for the grocery savings recently because I absolutely had to buy some new work clothes - almost nothing in my "professional" wardrobe fits and all my small clothes are for summer. So, the grocery savings went to new, smaller clothes! :)

My eating out expense's has plumited. Which helps out the bank account.

As far as the grocery store. I did spend alot of money on vitman's, stocked up on broth, Protein shakes, etc before hand. But now, the list has shorted to pretty much, liquids, fish, eggs and cheese. But when I am able to eat more like the Bocca Burgers, turkey sausage/bacon etc it'll probably go up a little bit.

I am still in purieed phase. Just shopped tonite. tuna canned shrimp canned chicken. Yogurt and a few other items. 35 bucks. Figure I am good for close to 2 weeks. Wish it was like that all the time. Lol. I personally am OK with whatever it costs as long as the food helps me and I keep losing weight. Everyone keep up the great work. I am thankful I found this site. Very very helpful.

My husband and I go out to eat during our lunch hour... N the bill went down by half.... I just eat from his meal/plate. He'll get a healthy type meal n he's happy to share.... He says I'm helping him cut down as well.... So it works out.

The grocery bill.... Not so much.... I wouldn't say it's higher either.... Im not saving for the same reasons already mentioned.

But I still think that overall in the long run there is money savings... I won't have to spend on blood pressure meds, or meds for diabetes or those extra doctor visits

My part of the grocery bill has gone down except for Vitamins, Protein, and Torani syrups. I have bought some nicer tupperware to pack my lunches and Protein shakes in but those are one-time costs. I guess some foods are more expensive, like the yogurt and the baby bel cheeses, but then things like lunch meat cost a lot less per meal than they would have before. I also used to eat out a lot, and now I do that a lot less, and tend it order smaller meals.

I used to go out for sushi and have $25 worth all on my own. Probably 5 plates at a sushi train. And I would really be wanting more, but stop myself. Now I go and have one order of edamame and one order of salmon sashimi (2 pieces) and I'm full, for maybe $8. I have to remember to take cash because the debit card minimum is $12.

I used to do a lot of expensive sneak eating (chips on the train, stopping at mcdonalds on the way home and still eating a full dinner at home, a dozen donuts on a Saturday afternoon, etc). I haven't indulged in that behavior since I started preparing for surgery and I have been very proactive about learning why I did it and how to avoid going back to those behaviors. They were expensive for my pocketbook AND my health.

Edited by mistysj

So I have looked at what I have spent since gearing up for the sleeve and after. I have spent about the same amount but on "different food". The cost to get quality Protein shakes and Vitamins was the initial expense and now when I go out for fresh items I do spend less each month. I have not purchased bread, milk or juice (or chips, popcorn, Snacks or junk food) in 8 months.

The funny thing is when family come to my house to visit. I have to tell them that they need to stop at the store for "the basics" before coming over because my diet doesn't include milk, bread or juice.< /p>