Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After care & Support

I am so excited. I thought my PCP would drop me as a patient if I told her about having WLS (nevermind having it in Mexico). She was so supportive and promised to do my aftercare. She was up on what the sleeve is and what I should expect from it. She was more than happy to give me a referral to a Nutritionist and to a therapist for my food addiction.

Things are starting to fall into place. I am 90% sure of my surgeon choice (Illan). As far as money goes, I have been unexpectedly been offered overtime at my job. While the overtime is very short term, It will pay for 1/4 of my surgery cost and my tax return should cover the rest.

I have also discussed it with my adult children and spouse, my daughter still living at home, my parents and my grandmother. I am shocked that they are supportive. Particularly that I am going to Mexico. Of course, no one is willing to go with me (to be fair each has a newborn and my parents and grandmother are elderly) but at least they are supportive.

It is starting to happen and I feel good about it. Last year when I was considering it, I had recurring nightmares about it. I guess now is the time. I am almost ready!

As mentioned above, I am going alone. I would love to meet someone who is going on 4/14/14 or around that time.

That is great that your doctor is on board, I haven't chosen a doctor yet and I am saving up and hopeful for possibly this spring/summer having the surgery. (Dr. Illan is on my short list as well as a few others)

I am going to Mexico with a loved one in a couple of weeks so she can have surgery with Dr. Illan, but I will keep an ear peeled for another person going around tax day :).

There is no lack of great reviews for Dr. Illan on here, but I thought I would also take this opportunity to endorse his work/practice. I am a very choosey consumer and did a lot of research on Mexican surgeons. I was ready to go with one of the super-established ones and pay nearly twice as much if I could not research and conclude myself that Dr. Illan was excellent. I called the public hospital where he is an ER surgeon, I talked to many of his patients (including Mexican ones who said he has an excellent reputation locally and regionally) and I got comfortable. He is younger than many of the surgeons with long resumes so it takes more effort to research him. (He is currently a "candidate" rather than a "Fellow" in the American College of Surgeons -- I would not be surprised if his prices went up when his status changes to "Fellow" fairly soon.) I would say the hospital he uses is fine/good (be prepared for it to feel like a small town US hospital with a dated decor in certain wings). Nurses/staff very attentive and conscientious. I felt gratified when I was walking the halls after surgery to hear some medical staff discussing in impressed voices how fast & precise he is in the E.R. and I felt like every member of his team that I met was thorough, organized, professional and kind.

Last -- the personal/ tourist/ companion attention you get from his Mexico-based coordinator Omar is famous and (in my opinion) super valuable if you are looking at going alone. I had a companion and Omar fussed over me, and from what I saw he will take the role of stand-in family friend and camp counselor if you come alone.

Best wishes -- 3 months seems like a great amount of time to get perfectly prepped!

Phatkat, that's awesome! Sounds like everything is working out great. It really helps to have such a broad support group. So much less emotional stress for you. Congrats and good luck with everything.

That is awesome that you are getting such great support. It makes me happy to see more and more US doctors willing to provide aftercare to patients who choose to have bariatric surgery in Mexico. I have a couple of patients who will be going in within a day or so of when you are, I will see if I can get them to contact you here. I know I am still in close contact with my "sleeve sister" that I met when I had my surgery done, it is amazing the bond you form with someone going through the same thing at the same time as you, and wonderful how after several years, we still remain close.