Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled to be sleeved on Jan 14 and I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone else gone through this, and what did you do?

Thanks

I had second thoughts..

Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to have them until they where wheeling me into the operating room :P

But I think most people have moments of second guessing going into this. And that's a good thing! It means you are really thinking about this radical move and what brought you here.

I know for me this was my last stop, radical yes but I had literally tried everything else and failed. It was try this or die an early death. So I took my chances on this. I'm happy I did.

I don't know your story..

But I will assume this is your last chance at health too? That you have tried many ways of losing weight before. And could not lose or keep the weight off long term?

Edited by laura-ven

so sleeve happy, me and my husband, 4 and 6 weeks post op. Ten years of research then the sleeve came along. Thank God. Too bad the health went further downhill until we waited for a procedure we felt comfortable but we will take it anyway we can! Best wishes, keep reading! Then decide!

I'm scheduled to be sleeved on Jan 14 and I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone else gone through this, and what did you do?

Thanks

Surgery is scary and this is a permanent change. Go back over the reasons you decided to go this route. If you can't find more positives about the surgery than negatives, then you can always put this off. Overeaters Anonymous has a saying that when the fear of where you are going is less than the pain of where you are, that's when you'll change.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

I've had second thoughts too. But at the same time, I'm at peace with it. So as long as I stay at peace with it then I'm going forward with it. I've been wanting this surgery since I had my Emergency Gallbladder surgery in March12'. I wasn't mentally ready then, now I am ready for my life to change.

I'm scheduled for the 13th and it really hit me today that in 10 days I will go under the knife for the first time in my life. it's scary but it's needed in order for me to keep the weight off. I was always able to lose weight but never able to keep it off. now my health is in decline and there is no better choice for me at this time. it's scary but we can do it =]

I had those thoughts too but being on the other side I have NO regrets!!! Praying none of you do either. Loving my Sleeve!!!!

I'm scheduled to be sleeved on Jan 14 and I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone else gone through this, and what did you do? Thanks

I didn't have second thoughts until I was in the operating room and they put the mask on me. I was scared started crying and breathing heavily. My nurse was so nice she held my hand and said everything will be fine just to relax and I closed my eyes tried to picture myself skinny and bum it was done when I opened my eyes.

It's ok to have second thoughts but why would you want to change your mind after going through all the requirements?

I had seconds thoughts after the surgery until te pain went away

I was sleeved on May 24, 2013....first 3 months had bad buyers remorse. It's a lot to figure out and total way of life change. Now, life is good. Down 82 pounds and feel wonderful. Learning everyday what works and what doesn't . I knew if I didn't do this surgery I was going to die. The reward is beyond anything I had ever envisioned. Hope it all works out best for you.

Thanks

-------

YES!!!! Lol

I was having lots of doubts especially since I was able to lose a good 23 pounds in less than 2 months prior to surgery doing what my NUT recommended and keeping my body active ...

I even had dreams that the staple gun malfunctioned inside me during surgery and woke up panicking; also my moms negativity wasn't helping either

In the end I just had to get real with my weight loss struggles for the past 18 years really -- was born chubby but really only made an effort to Try and change in my teens and its been yoyo city ever since (I'm 31 now)

From 180 to 215

From 215 to 180

From 180 to 293

From 293 to 199

From 199 to 260

Bad bad bad

I really really needed more restriction long term and I didn't want to live the rest of my life yo-yoing

My addiction to sweets and carbs was getting out of control and although surgery won't cure that for me I really don't want To have gone through all this for nothing -- it also helps that I don't feel any hunger even at 4 weeks out

Surgery is risky and drastic and permanent but at the same time if you have a reputable surgeon from a center of excellence then I believe the concerns should be far and few in between

Statistically most people (over 90%) who have lost over 50 pounds or more without WLS wont be able to keep it off on their own after a few years or so -- not to discourage anyone but those are the stats -- we can all do what we set out minds to do

Best of luck to you during this time!

Thanks

-------

YES!!!! Lol

I was having lots of doubts especially since I was able to lose a good 23 pounds in less than 2 months prior to surgery doing what my NUT recommended and keeping my body active ...

I even had dreams that the staple gun malfunctioned inside me during surgery and woke up panicking; also my moms negativity wasn't helping either

In the end I just had to get real with my weight loss struggles for the past 18 years really -- was born chubby but really only made an effort to Try and change in my teens and its been yoyo city ever since (I'm 31 now)

From 180 to 215

From 215 to 180

From 180 to 293

From 293 to 199

From 199 to 260

Bad bad bad

I really really needed more restriction long term and I didn't want to live the rest of my life yo-yoing

My addiction to sweets and carbs was getting out of control and although surgery won't cure that for me I really don't want To have gone through all this for nothing -- it also helps that I don't feel any hunger even at 4 weeks out

Surgery is risky and drastic and permanent but at the same time if you have a reputable surgeon from a center of excellence then I believe the concerns should be far and few in between

Statistically most people (over 90%) who have lost over 50 pounds or more without WLS wont be able to keep it off on their own after a few years or so -- not to discourage anyone but those are the stats -- we can all do what we set out minds to do

Best of luck to you during this time!

Hi Sandy, where are you now in your journey? What weight did u start at (and when) and where are you now? You numbers are almost identical as my history and now that I am almost 2 weeks out I still wonder if I will ever get lower than 170. Just curious to hear where you are now. ???? thanks!

Just my $0.02 but surgery is kinda like marriage; if you have doubts just postpone it until you are sure one way or the other. Sleeve surgery isn't going away, so wait until you are sure and ready.

This was my first surgery too. I researched it for over two years. I had the opportunity to do rny for years but just never felt comfortable with it. I stayed on the fence for another year after my ins started covering the sleeve. I was terrified. Do I REALLY need this? Yeah.. I really do, my only regret was waiting so long to make up my mind. I lost a whole year of feeling healthy, running around with my kids, shopping in normal stores, and living my life. I'm not scared anymore... I'm healthy

Hi Sandy, where are you now in your journey? What weight did u start at (and when) and where are you now? You numbers are almost identical as my history and now that I am almost 2 weeks out I still wonder if I will ever get lower than 170. Just curious to hear where you are now. dde0a thanks!

----hi Jaime

I'm exactly 4 weeks out today; surgery was 12.12

Struggling with Hernia repair recovery and scared to really try more soft solids such as tuna and grilled fish or even eggs

I tried thinned out oatmeal at one week out and it literally sat in my chest like a bag of sand -- and that was only one tablespoon that took me 45 minutes to get through

My doc prescribed me carafate about 2 weeks ago to help with the pulsing pain and pressure so things have gotten Better but I'm still nervous. I'm going to try egg whites this weekend in the comfort of my home and see how it goes

I'm getting in more Protein shakes and Water these days which is giving me more energy --- I was super super weak for the majority of the past 4 weeks

I think I'm stalled at 210.4 now -- been here since Monday jan 6 after a streak of coming down a pound or so a day

Started losing weight on my own in oct 2013 -- from 260 to about 237

Then surgery on 12.12 and now steady at 210.4 after 4 weeks -- I'm 5'7"

My ultimate goal is to maintain 165-170 so time will tell; I think it's realistic with all the carb and sweet restrictions and of course our automatic Portion Control device ????

I plan to start spin classes in a few weeks depending on how I feel -- I loved spinning prior to vsg and miss it dearly

So where are you now? How's recovery? I was still pretty miserable at 2 weeks out; was even hospitalized for dehydration on day 11 and just came over a bout of painful Constipation (TMI but I wouldn't wish that on anyone)

Be sure to Stay hydrated!!!!