Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Shoulder Pain

Anyone else get pain in the left shoulder after eating?

It's not gas, and it's not my gallbladder (I don't have one) and it's only been happening since I got the band.

I was told a long time ago that the nerve into the right shoulder is the gallbladder and into the left the stomach. It hurts when I move and can't bend over. Very painful. The it goes away if i don't eat for a while.

Anyone else experience this?

I do off and on, usually if I've eaten too much, but mine isn't really that painful, more annoying.

I had that as well. also went up my left ear (nerves are connected). For me it was positional, happening when sitting upright and reducing upon reclining. I figured it was some sort of post-op diphragmatic irritation and/or CO2 gas still in my system. happened for maybe 2 weeks post-op.

Happens to me quite often. It is my signal that I've eaten too much. I'm out 8 months and it still happens. I start getting twinges sometime that tell me I'd better stop eating. Other times its just full scale pain. It's always after I eat too much. Heating pad does the trick.

Thank you for your replies. I'm thinking it's because I've either eaten too much or I've irritaed my stomach and it's swelling.

Thank you! :-)

I was told that it is caused by irritation to the diaphram. Since the diaphram is so close to the stomach it makes sense that it is often irritated after surgery and for a few people beyond. Some people experience that irritaion and shoulder pain as a signal that they have filled their pouch a little to full others because of posture, It all depends on the individual. When I breathe too deep mine will hurt a little, or if I've just eaten and then I slouch. It is not abnormal :) Just annoying ;)

You mean I have to live with this? I thought it was just the gas.

Now that I'm 8 days post-op I thought it would be gone by now.

I'm sipping everything as slowly as possible, I still get terrible pain in my shoulder. Then I hick-up and the pain shooting to my shoulder is unbearable until my hick-up is gone. I'm to the point that I'm feeling kinda frustrated. I'm still on full liquids.

I know I'm on the verge of dehydration, dizzy and lightheaded when trying to pick-up the house etc... My muscles are weak too.

Any suggestions?

I hate it!!! It only happens when I eat...it is so annoying. Yesterday I was feeling it up to my ear also!

Be Blessed!

It is called Kehr's Sign

http://en.allexperts.com/e/k/ke/kehr's_sign.htm

It will happen when you over eat... I get it from time to time. Or if you have something with carbonation... or something that makes you gasy...

You dont feel it in your stomach. It will pop up in your shoulder.

I dont have it much anymore now that i am about 3 months out. I had it more right after my surgery.

Yes I have it too, but only if I eat to much! Yes it is the signal from your brain that your diaphram is hurting. It is the nerve but it the way that your brain tells you your diaphram is hurting or irritated is up there in your shoulder. Try different things, try not to eat as much, or drink when you are eating. I know that you are not supposed to drink when you are eating but I notice that mine comes more often if I do which helps me to not drink while I am eating ;) But yes it is perfectly normal, its just your body telling you that something is hurting.

Well I know from personal experience that it doesn't just happen from eating to much or even eating at all. It depends on your physiology. Good news is that most people don't continue to experience it after they've healed from surgery. I have a very developed diaphram muscle from years of singing and playing wind instruments so mine is probably larger than most thus making it much more likely to be irritated, at least that is my theory. But seriously If I excersise on an empty stomach it happens then too, simply because my breaths are so deep.

Tracey, my surgery date has been changed. Will you change the post. It has changed from April 12 to April 16th. thanks ...Margi