Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can keep down solids but throw up liquids... Bizarre?

I had my third fill 3 weeks ago. I thought i was in the green zone. I ate about a cup of food per meal and felt full till the next meal. However this week i have been throwing up a lot of what i eat. But the weird thing is, for the past week I have almost always thrown up when i drink liquids or eat something thats almost a liquid but I don't seem to be throwing up as much with the solid food. If i eat a piece of chicken I'm fine, but if i sip on a glass of juice i run to throw it up. Sometimes the solid food comes up with it from what i have previously eaten but its always the liquid that causes me to throw up. Shouldn't this be opposite? I have never seen this before on here, I've see people who can only take liquids and throw up solids but never the other way around. My first thought was maybe the band is too tight but wouldn't it be the most tight right after the fill not 3 weeks later? It was fine the first week. Then I thought the worst, maybe i have a band slip but i don't really have the symptoms other that the throwing up not to mention the solids are fine, its more the liquids... so basically I've hit a wall and don't know what might be up... Im going to try to go into my surgeon office ASAP but until then any help would be great!

Bradley

I am pre-surgery, so I am definitely not an expert! But I did talk to the nutritionist about liquids. My concern is that I drink A LOT of Water and I love to chug it - can't help it! In the booklet they give us prior to surgery, it says to SIP liquids very slowly. Like only 2 oz every 15 minutes. Basically it should take an hour to drink 8 oz.

So I asked about this because I was concerned. She said that everyone is different but this is a guideline until you know how your body will react. Some people can drink a little more or a little faster but it is mostly important to slow down and take small sips.

Is it possible that you are swallowing too much at once or not waiting long enough between drinks? With the stomach being so small now, it can only hold so much liquid before it trickles through and too much may be forcing it back up?
Definitely talk to the nutritionist or dr about it though.

There are a few different types of throwing up.

Are you throwing up food from your stomach, your pouch or esophagus?

The stomach type is true hurling and should be avoided at all costs as it can cause your band to slip.

The pouch and esophagus types are usually a PB(productive burp).

Which type are you experiencing?

And, are you drinking while eating or is the Fluid rejection happening all the time?

tmf

I sometimes spit up liquids...even straight Water without eating before or during.

Generally, I forget myself and take large gulps of water....especially if I am working out...

Think of the band as a funnel...wider at the top, then a narrow passage...you can pour Water through the funnel at a slow to moderate rate...pour it fast and the rate will be greater than can pass through the band...

Also, the presence of food would compound the issue...that's why I CANNOT drink while eating.

I also believe we are not as aware of consuming water, as we are consuming something solid....so we are more careful with solids as to chewing, bite and swallow size, etc.....water we forget and take too large swallows...

First thing in the morning I am the tightest...I have to drink my coffee very slowly, and always get that gurgling sound.....

And I have not eaten anything solid for Breakfast in well over 2 years now.

Just my thoughts....

Edited by B-52

What it sounds like to me is you are a little swollen from throwing up. So when you eat the piece of chicken it is setting on top of your band and not going through it. So when you drink the fluids it can't get through the opening because the chicken is blocking it and that is what is making you throw up. Do a couple of days of liquids and let the swelling go down.

Fluids can be just as troublesome as solid food. i once drank just as i was getting up in the morning. and it was a gulp. it caused me to get stuck and i swelled shut for the day. i mean i was on my way to the er to have Fluid removed from my band it was getting that serious. but finally i was able to take in some fluids and i was okay. so yes fluids can cause problems. try taking a sip or bite of something and let it go completely through before taking another sip or bite. this gets your gi ready for what you want to introduce to it. the first place digestion takes place is your mouth and the saliva in it. we need to prime our esphagus and pouch in the same manner.

I'm doing the same thing. Most time it's the liquid that comes up. My band felt extremely tight when I got my fill last Friday. After about three days I felt much better. I'm having trouble keeping liquids and feeling week and dehydrated. Will it loosen up anytime soon without having to have any removed!