Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slipped band picture

If anyone is interested in seeing it:

http://thebanddoctor.com/messageboard_BB/viewtopic.php?p=184#184

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

How badly injured was the patient? I'm new to all this, sorry for my ignorance. IF something like that happens to you, can you function normally after????

Usually after the slipped band is removed the patient feels like they did before they had the band in previously. A patient can eat like they could before banding as well, since the anatomy wasn't changed by putting a band in. That is why alot of patients that have slipped bands tend to gain their weight back. There is no restriction anymore, or very little if any. Living with a slip can be very painful though, from what I've heard. Most people need to have it fixed right away.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/154/160

5'8''

She is perfectly fine now but obviously has no restriction. She opted for removal versus repair.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

How badly injured was the patient? I'm new to all this, sorry for my ignorance. IF something like that happens to you, can you function normally after????

What were the patient's presenting symptoms? Thank you for posting the pics.

Ok Dr C, this slip thing scares the crap out of me. How hard is it to slip or is it not hard at all?

I get nervous now even being around my kids when they are sick, I think in the end I could end up throwing up and then slipping. But my Dr is very blasie about it. She even told me about a paitent she has that throws up everytime he eat bc he has no idea what restriction is. Am I a worry wart? She makes me feel like I am. Is there any guidance with this??

Slips usually don't happen from one episode of vomiting it's usually after repeated spells. If you are vomiting, get your butt in to see your surgeon. In this case the patient presented with pain and not keeping even liquids down.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Ok Dr C, this slip thing scares the crap out of me. How hard is it to slip or is it not hard at all?

I get nervous now even being around my kids when they are sick, I think in the end I could end up throwing up and then slipping. But my Dr is very blasie about it. She even told me about a paitent she has that throws up everytime he eat bc he has no idea what restriction is. Am I a worry wart? She makes me feel like I am. Is there any guidance with this??

Thanks. Maybe when my Dr made the comment about the guy with 4 ccs who is constantly vommiting she should have mentioned that it can cause slippage. Like I said she was very non-shalant (sp) when she talked about it. She was using it to point out to me that I have nothing to worry about. Maybe she should have used something else! :(

I don't have a problem with it, but I am convienced if I vommit once it is all over for me...lol...I am a freak I guess! :P

Thanks again!

Dr. C. You mentioned that this patient opted to not have a repair. Out of curiousity, how many incisions do you make when repairing the band and is the recovery easier than the initial banding?

OK, I am five days post op, in Band It Land, and I am freaking out over those photos! I am now going to spend months wondering if every pang is the start of slippage..... It's like a really bad car accident you pass on the highway...somehow you feel DRAWN to look..then after you see the head lying ten feet from the rest of it's former owner, you wish you had just kept driving...

Can you calm these fears, Dr. C? DO most of us have the possibility of having gruesome "post slippage" photos appearing on a website in the future? I spent 8 months researching this option, and never once second guessed my decision...Maybe t's the pain... :-)

HELP!

Christine Ren, MD, FACS, is an assistant professor at NYU Medical Center, a leading LAP-BAND surgeon and a member of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. According to her and Inamed, "The LAP-BAND is a much less complicated procedure than the standard Roux-en-Y gastric bypass; it may occasionally slip farther down the stomach, however. This complication “prevents the band from working properly to allow people to continue to lose weight,” Ren explains.

“The most common symptom of band slippage is severe reflux or regurgitation, particularly in the middle of the night, and this would require the band to be loosened, and if the band is loosened, people will regain weight. Their appetite will come back. So that’s the main reason for surgical revision of the band if the band slips. It happens in 3 percent of the population. The reoperation itself can be done laparoscopically in an ASC.”

My slip rate is only 1.5% :(

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Christine Ren, MD, FACS, is an assistant professor at NYU Medical Center, a leading LAP-BAND surgeon and a member of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. According to her and Inamed, "The LAP-BAND is a much less complicated procedure than the standard Roux-en-Y gastric bypass; it may occasionally slip farther down the stomach, however. This complication “prevents the band from working properly to allow people to continue to lose weight,” Ren explains.

“The most common symptom of band slippage is severe reflux or regurgitation, particularly in the middle of the night, and this would require the band to be loosened, and if the band is loosened, people will regain weight. Their appetite will come back. So that’s the main reason for surgical revision of the band if the band slips. It happens in 3 percent of the population. The reoperation itself can be done laparoscopically in an ASC.”

Follow the bandster rules, let it be a lesson!

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

OK, I am five days post op, in Band It Land, and I am freaking out over those photos! I am now going to spend months wondering if every pang is the start of slippage..... It's like a really bad car accident you pass on the highway...somehow you feel DRAWN to look..then after you see the head lying ten feet from the rest of it's former owner, you wish you had just kept driving...

Can you calm these fears, Dr. C? DO most of us have the possibility of having gruesome "post slippage" photos appearing on a website in the future? I spent 8 months researching this option, and never once second guessed my decision...Maybe t's the pain... :-)

HELP!