Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SLIP...... Lets be HONEST!

Often here people use the term "slip" as some sort of rationale for making a decision to eat something. It is an old term that in the 12-step world is used....but is inappropriate.

By definition a "slip" is. 1.an act of sliding unintentionally for a short distance. synonyms: false step, misstep, slide, skid, fall, tumble ! a fall to a lower level or standard. OR. 2. a minor or careless mistake. synonyms: mistake, error, blunder, gaffe;

If I were to eat a meatball that was filled with bread and didn't know it, that would be a slip; if I were drink a beverage I thought was sugar free, but wasn't, that's a slip. But to make an intentional decision to eat a food or drink a product that I have a craving for, that I " miss" , that I just can't resist....that is not a slip that in an intentional decision. Now for some people, one bite may be fine...but for someone else it will be the beginning of ongoing poor choices that will unravel any hard work.

Yes....addiction is real! You have to know yourself and even if you do know yourself you have to be able to trust yourself that one bite will be okay. If not, then it is important to be honest with yourself to know that one bite will never be enough. EVER! If you go back to doing what you used to do, your going to get the same result. No, the surgery did not fail....you did! What may be okay for me, may not be okay for you. It's important to be honest with yourself if you plan to be successful.

Here's a good question, if using a food log is too hard...is it because you are afraid of being honest about what you are really eating?

Great question!!

For me I struggled with tracking on MFP for a minute. I was afraid when I ate something I knew I shouldn't I didn't want to see it face me. So yes I was afraid....in the beginning before my surgery.

Now however I love tracking what I eat. I put the candy pieces I ate last night on there and couldn't quit staring at the damn page!! In disbelief in self disgust and much more. It was my first candy in 6 months and It did taste ok but I did not get the rush I used to when eating my sweets. Tonight however I have no desire to put anything in my mouth. For me was it was a decision I made and not one I'm proud of. I was very happy with myself I didn't touch candy or sweets on Halloween or any other time. I did fail myself and I felt it. But....I'm ok today. :)

Kinda felt like a confession..

However I am not justifying my actions I know what I did. No slip here!! Just a weak moment for me after 6 months :)

Thanks for the read and making me thing lady! :D

First off, I think different people use different terms. It could be regional or cultural and most times know what they mean.

The following definition of slip is from dictionary.com

Slip:

1. move, flow, pass, or go smoothly or easily; glide; slide:
  2. to slide suddenly or involuntarily; to lose one's foothold, as on a smooth surface:
  3. to move, slide, or start gradually from a place or position:
  4. to slide out of or become disengaged from a fastening, the grasp, etc.:
  5. to pass without having been acted upon or used; be lost; get away: .

So I think slip could be appropriate when someone eats something they shouldn't because it can lead to slider foods and it could be an opportunity that was lost and slipped away.

You do need to be honest with yourself. If you aren't you are the only person you are cheating. Time after time it has been shown that when you write down or log what you are eating you tend to be much more successful. It keeps you aware, accountable and focused. It also lets you get back on track more quickly if you start to stray.

Peggy, you said , "Here's a good question, if using a food log is too hard...is it because you are afraid of being honest about what you are really eating?"

If a person does use a food log and logs the slips how would that be interpreted?

I'm slipping into a bowl of ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon right now. :P

LMFAO Beautifully put! :D

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about a slip, in terms of a slipped band! I'd rather have the occasional food slip up any day!

Endless80, watch the ice cream because it is a slider you could fall since it's frozen. I know, don't quit your day job.

Edited by ribearty

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about a slip, in terms of a slipped band! I'd rather have the occasional food slip up any day!

Sleevethefatbehind,

Love your profile name. I had a slipped band and now have the sleeve.

Oh to be pre op again with all the fortitude of a brick wall...and all the knowledge to back it up....I was even so bold as to come on here and tell others how they should do it....Naive..

Then the surgery happened and I ran as fast as I could into the wild blue wonder to get this show on the road....Nothing and I mean nothing has gone the way I expected it to...

I have slipped, hit walls, fallen off ledges and cried for mercy over this decision I made and every other emotion I can think of I am sure I felt it or worse..will!!!!

What was I thinking? I too had it all figured out and was on my way to capture the castle and take no prisoners...

What I have learned is that it is a good idea to have a plan to go into this with as much strength as you can muster..Because there is one thing to read about it and another thing to live it.....

Everyone is human and we do things every day that we thought we would never do...We make mistakes! We chose poorly and pay for our mistakes by either beating ourselves up over it or denying the entire incident..

Every day brings new challenges and things learned about ourselves and this life long change we are all making...Every day!!! Every single day!!!!

So worth it though, because you may just learn somethings about yourself that can change your life for the better and help that inner you to shine true.....

Ode to WLS....

I prefer the word "accident" as in "I accidentally slept with my boss" or "my first born was an accident" it's much more universal like "I ate a whole chocolate cake accidentally thinking it was sugar free"

RJ, as you know sometimes even when you plan, it just doesn't happen that way. I agree planning is a big part of success. You have to have the right foods in place, plan menus, exercise. If you don't plan you can easily get waylaid and fall into old habits.

Love your post.

Everyone is human and we do things every day that we thought we would never do...We make mistakes! We chose poorly and pay for our mistakes by either beating ourselves up over it or denying the entire incident..

Every day brings new challenges and things learned about ourselves and this life long change we are all making...Every day!!! Every single day!!!!

So worth it though, because you may just learn somethings about yourself that can change your life for the better and help that inner you to shine true.....

RJ, as you know sometimes even when you plan, it just doesn't happen that way. I agree planning is a big part of success. You have to have the right foods in place, plan menus, exercise. If you don't plan you can easily get waylaid and fall into old habits.

Love your post.

I agree with your comments..We should be prepared for what we think we know about these things...All you said is true...All I know is the " Best laid plans of mice and men: Robert Burns;

From Robert Burns' poem To a Mouse, 1786. It tells of how he, while ploughing a field, upturned a mouse's nest. The resulting poem is an apology to the mouse:

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [
you aren't alone
]

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft a-gley, [
often go awry
]

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promised joy.

That is just the way life is....we work hard very hard to keep going and work toward succeeding and we even make it..But we never follow a straight line..That is ridiculous...We zig zag every where and make it in the end hopefully!!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

LMFAO Beautifully put! :D

LOL it was true! A small measured bowl of ice cream but still ice cream none the less.

No matter what u call it I messed up. I was in a car accident 12/13 and hurt everywhere. Nothing broken. I've been fighting the other ins company. Starting physical therapy tues.y car was totaled so now I have to buy another one. SO STRESSED. I want comfort food. Gave away my candy and all other bad carbs. Tomorrow is a new day.