Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being overfilled ruined my band

I wanted to post this so that you know that this can happen. I had my surgery done in another state, and I was having the aftercare provided by a clinic in Lewiston, Idaho. The gal there suggested a very aggressive fill amount. I was unsure, but agreed after she told me about some previous fills she'd done on other patients with similar needs. I had terrible trouble with reflux in the following days, but because of the holidays, I had trouble getting in to see a doctor. Since I could get Water down fine, I didn't feel that I needed to go to the ER. The following week, I paid over 2000 to get some help from a doctor. When he unfilled me there was a full cc more than was documented in my chart, and I'd never agreed to be filled at that level. Since then, I've been unfilled, imaged, partially filled, unfilled, imaged... and there is now no question, whasoever, that my band slipped to the extent that further surgery will be needed. When I notified the woman, she denied all responsibility. She wrote me a very angry and unprofessional letter denying any responsibility for what had happened and misrepresenting the events that took place. I am stuck with the cost of removing the band on my own unless I file a claim against her liability insurance. I just want to let people know that this can happen to you if you're banded. I hope it doesn't because it's a lot of money to have pay out for nothing but bad experiences.

You are smart, get every piece of medical records you can get your hands on from your doctors office to your visit to ER. Being filled is a guessing game and no one wants to admit that unless you are being filled by a radiologist or under a florascope. I would suggest finding another doctors office and see what your options are. If you are self pay save your self the trouble of going to the office that wont assume responsibility. Then seek legal advice too if you can.

Your next option is another type of surgery, do your research and find what the doctor and the care that works for you.

I have not been to that office since the overfill. She would not see me again once the other doctor suggested that she'd overfilled me. This was more than a careless mistake. If the additional cc took place on that date, it would have been a full 2 cc injection at one time.

You know what sucks the most? I didn't abuse my band. I don't eat compulsively. I didn't make myself barf. I got the band to help stave off the spinal arthritis that afflicts members of my family. I wasn't being foolish or greedy or lazy. I was trying to do something to help me stay healthier longer. Now I will be down 18K, with a zero net.

I wanted to post this so that you know that this can happen. I had my surgery done in another state, and I was having the aftercare provided by a clinic in Lewiston, Idaho. The gal there suggested a very aggressive fill amount. I was unsure, but agreed after she told me about some previous fills she'd done on other patients with similar needs. I had terrible trouble with reflux in the following days, but because of the holidays, I had trouble getting in to see a doctor. Since I could get Water down fine, I didn't feel that I needed to go to the ER. The following week, I paid over 2000 to get some help from a doctor. When he unfilled me there was a full cc more than was documented in my chart, and I'd never agreed to be filled at that level. Since then, I've been unfilled, imaged, partially filled, unfilled, imaged... and there is now no question, whasoever, that my band slipped to the extent that further surgery will be needed. When I notified the woman, she denied all responsibility. She wrote me a very angry and unprofessional letter denying any responsibility for what had happened and misrepresenting the events that took place. I am stuck with the cost of removing the band on my own unless I file a claim against her liability insurance. I just want to let people know that this can happen to you if you're banded. I hope it doesn't because it's a lot of money to have pay out for nothing but bad experiences.

There are many reasons why a band can slip, and a slip does not in and of itself mean that " your band is ruined". Possibly a complete unfill without any attempt to refill your band will give your tissues an opportunity to heal. This is something I would encourage you to discuss with your surgeon.

Many people have their band repositioned after a slip, though the success rates after having this done diminishes the success rate of long term sustained weight loss. My original surgeon was the one who shared this information with me.

I would encourage you to explore all the options available to you prior to choosing to have your band removed.

Also, most states have a professional license verification data base online. This site usually also has information regarding any legal procedures and state medical board censures of a physician, or other allied medical professionals.

I have used this tool successfully to choose a surgeon for a major surgery. The surgeon I had been referred to had 2 legal proceedings, major monetary judgements levied on him as a result of medical errors. Research thoroughly any medical professional who you intend to have treat you. You owe it to yourself to be completely informed.

I hope your situation turns out well...good luck.

Edited by ♥ Sojourner ♥

when i hear stories such as yours i am so very happy with my doctor who checks every fill with a withdraw first just to make sure we are where we are supposed to be at. we are so at the mercy of our medical providers. have you checked to see what legal proceedings are against this medical clinic. and what are the credentials of the girl that did the fill are. become a little sleuth. go in and get a copy of your medical records right now. you don't want them to change a thing and if they are denying responsibility a little eraser can hurt your case. you have the right to your medical records. good luck on your case. and i pray for good health for you and that everything turns out okay.

Reading the numerous posts here over the years, I am convinced that there are may people who simply do not know how much their band has in it....some people throw out figures that just do not make sense, to me anyway....

To make matters worse, there have been numerous stories where patients have gone in for a check up, and the amount of saline found to be in their band did not match up to what their chart may say....

As someone else noted...My Dr. also would do a complete un-fill, then check the amount in the syringe along with the clarity...also the amount he pulled out had to match the amount listed in my chart, or else it would indicate a possible leak......he would then discard it and replace with fresh saline, sometimes a higher amount if needed.....

I have not had a fill in over 2-1/2 years now....but the one thing my Dr always preached to me is to learn to "Listen" to your band......and something like a unexplained onset of reflux is definitely your band trying to tell you something....

You poor thing , I agree with all the above ask for copies of all your medical records , I have done that myself here in England as a letter I received from a new surgeon after a fill does not add up , and if correct would have overfilled my 10cc band , paperwork received so far does not cover one of my fill appointments at all ! I have yet to receive all my notes from the hospitals own records due to holidays but I have requested everything since my very first pre-op tests up until my last appointment in November ,[ this had to be done in writing so guess you would have to do the same ] this way I can compare original surgeons , new surgeons letters with that of hospitals own . Both my surgeons never removed previous fills before adding etc which I now believe should have been done as insurance and to check for possible leaks , I will certainly ask in future . I also was self pay so I sympathise and wish you all the best , take independent advice before rushing into anything , best wishes :)

Hello..

Sorry to hear about your band slippage, but like I tell everyone here, IT IS NOT the FILL GIVERS FAULT if your band is too tight -- PERIOD.

If your fill giver puncture a hole in your tubing and you can prove it, then you can legally go after them to fix it, but that is the ONLY thing you can do to them from a legal standpoint.

Every person who gets a lap band has to be their OWN advocate in terms of HOW THEY FEEL. Never worry about HOW MUCH saline is in your band because that is irrelevant, IT IS HOW YOU FEEL.

I put how much saline in my signature because that is the amount that got me to my sweet spot, at 7.2ccs, some people can be too tight at 7.ccs and others not enough, so IT DOES NOT MATTER how much saline is in your band, it always how you feel.

For example, if you were already feeling a little restriction, you should communicate that with your fill giver to let them know that you only need a little added to your band, and it is UP TO YOU, to determine how much saline to add or keep in your band -- NOT your fillgiver, they work for you and if your band gets too tight, regardless of how long you had the fill, it is YOUR responsibility to go back and get saline removed..

If anyone gets a fill adjustment and they can't get liquids down without vomiting, or if they start coughing frequently and having frequent night time reflux (WITH regurgitation) regardless if they ate too close to bedtime, those are SIGNS that they need to get some saline removed from their band immediately.

These warnings are in most surgeons office (YELLOW, RED AND GREEN ZONE), they are talked about here on the boards ALL the time, so if anyone ignores these warnings, sorry it's THEIR FAULT that their bands slipped.

Also I have to tell you, band slippage DOES NOT HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY -- IT TAKE SOME TIME, and MOST people have plenty of warning signs of their band being too tight, some people refuse to go back to get saline removed, if they are too far away or inconvenience, this is why I tell people it COST LESS money to go back and get a little saline removed than to WAIT and KEEP THAT FILL that is too tight and slip your band, and to fix or remove a damage band can cost over $20,000 dollars.

I am happy you shared your story and I am not saying you abused your band, but band slippage does not happen in 1-2 weeks, it takes more time for that to occur, or something was already wrong with your band and when you got overfilled that made it slip.

Good luck.

Best wishes, as others have said, just because you have a slip, doe not mean the band is ruined! I had to have a surgery for band revision, it did not need to be replaced. I am good now, 2 years ago, I was too tight, too! As others have said, you need to be your own advocate. I wish you best luck and hope that you can recover something, if you decide to sue. Karen...aka..kll724

Sorry to read about all the problems with your doctor. I do believe there is some truth to band filling. Each patient is different and all bands are not made the same, even from the same company. I'm sure there are several bands in a big lots of bands manufactured wrong and probably don't hold the advertised amount of Fluid. It is important for all of us to know what amount of fluide is in our bands. You do want to know if your band is 1/3 full or 1/2 full. We can corelate this information in how we feel after a fill has been done. Are we too tight or can we barely get the Water down? Most docotrs tell you too stay on liquids for 24 hours after a fill. I usually do this and a bit more. Since band fills from my doctor don't come often, I usually use this period as a cleaning period and stay on liquids for 5 days or so. No soild or even mushy foods. It makes me focus on eating properly if I've been bad. liquid Protein shakes actullay taste so good and some lowfat greek yogurt.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

Sorry to hear you're having these problems. Hopefully your band can be saved and the removal not even necessary. Best wishes!!

You will find there are good lapband doctors out there. Then there are some who are not. Unfortunately I had one who was not, and i too was diligent in following every single order I was givin. The problem was the doctors care which was poor at best. It took over 2 years for my port to be filled to the point of restriction. I was dilligent in keeping notes on every visit as well. I knew how big my lapband was, the amount of the last fill. I knew exactly how much was put in and how much was taken out every single time. I kept better notes then the staff and asked for copies of my medical records at each appointment.

This is why my heart goes out to thouse of us who follow the rule and still have problems with the lapband. Wheather it is a leak and twist a slippage or the port breaking either way it is heart breaking to the person who put their trust in the doctor and his staff and the lapband it self. Thank God I found a good doctor who has been in practice for many years. His review of my case reinstated what i had suspected all along. That is why I am driving out of network and paying over 3000- along with my insurance to have this lapband removed and having the sleeve done.

It was a hard road travelled I hate going under knife, no one really does. It would have been easy to give up and say oh well this is the hand I was dealt. My father died of complications to obesity at a young age so I do not take this health of mine for granted. I choose to have a good life with quality care and I look forward to having the opportuntiy to choose a better life for my self and my family. Perhaps my driving force is to be here for my child and watch her grow up and get married.

What ever you decide sweety do all the research you can on your doctor, check around on his references and get the best care that you can get. Your worth it!! Be encourage!!

Edited by BellaHugz

Thank you all for your replies, and to those of you who wished me well. I think I should have been a little bit more clear on what took place. An unprofessional decision resulted in an acute incident during which my band slipped and I ended up seeking emergency care. The band itself isn't ruined, but it cannot function as it previously did without a surgery that costs the same amount as having it removed. I have been completely unfilled, imaged, partially filled, imaged again, unfilled... over several months, unfilled imaged again... It is slipped. The images include a CT, an upper GI, several x-rays, some with fluoroscopy... The slip did occur on that date, and the slip is documented by before and after images. My medical records document the position of the band immediately before and one week after this incident. My medical records state the amount that she "thought" was in the band, and the emergency surgeon who treated me after the critical incident documented a full cc more than she recorded that she injected.

I am choosing not to sue this provider because of who I am as a person. It was her mistake, however, and I just won't accept any other explanation, especially given her comments justifying such huge jump in fill volume. She told me that I'd been wasting my time by having half cc fills, and that the only thing that could happen was that I'd lose weight. I agreed to a full cc after this statement, but she injected 2ccs. Let me be absolutely clear, and if you choose to disagree, that's fine. Overfilling a band can cause it to slip. That is all I came here to say.

Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes to you in this new year.