Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 11 days out and i feel hungry. My wifes swears its in my head but my stomach physically feels hungry. Makes me think the dr did it wrong and also makes me want to eat real food. I even dreamed about food. Im also tired of Protein Shakes. I can never make them taste good enough and becauae im christmas shopping im too broke to buy new flavors or anything else to mix in it to make it taste better. Sorry to complain to everyone its just extra sucking today.

Make sure you are taking a ppi. In those first weeks acid will feel just like real hunger.

Head hungry is a powerful thing and in the first weeks we are in the grips of that too.

It will get better this is only a stage (a sucky one yes) and will pass.

As for your shakes try some sugar free syrups like Torani :)

I'm 8 days out and I'm hungry too! My guess is also that we are not getting enough Protein. That's what I am going to focus on!

I'm 4 days out and I'm hungry too. Everytime I see a commercial about food, my mouth waters. Bacon thick cheeseburgers, KFC, steaks and potatoes, Chilli hotdogs with colesaw, the new taco melt....you name it. I want it!

Lol but with that said, I know I can't have it, so I just have a Protein Shake instead. Matter-of-fact, I think 90% of my day is spent thinking about these foods. My stomach even growls a little. Smh.

Your new tummy only holds so much. I was hungry every 4 hours. That's normal. Before surgery we would eat so much that we wouldn't be hungry for 6 to 8 hours. Healthy people eat small meals every 2 hours. :-)

I was hungry every 2.5 hours. I still am. It wasn't head hunger - it was real hunger.

I make sure that in between my 'meals', I have stuff available which is Protein rich and calorie rich. Generally nuts and a bit of dried fruit. Failing that, a yoghurt.

I was worried this might be classified as 'grazing' - but I was informed by my nutritionist, it isn't.

When I was early out and in between my Protein shakes/drinks, I'd have a mouthful of ambrosia custard. It went in nicely, stayed down nicely and gave me the little boost of energy I needed.

Don't fret about it. Find something that is in the house that works for you at this juncture. As long as the texture is right and in line with your plan, you will not be doing yourself any long-term damage. If the kids yoghurts are there? I suggest you eat them. 11 days out, a kids yoghurt will do you for three 'snacking' sessions anyway :)

6oz yoghurt is a good size, for 11 days out. What stage are you at? Mushies?

Maybe you should consider getting some very lean minced up Protein with some veggies boiled to smithereens in it.

I betcha anything, your ability to eat 6oz of yoghurt will NOT be representative of when you hit mushies with some real Protein in it. You'll be maxing out on 3oz - if you're lucky.

Have you considered a PPI for excess acid? And drinking a bit more Water?

Im not on mushies yet ill start that the day after christmas. I do take a prescription for acide i forget what its called. I just want to make sure im doing things right. I think the worst i tried to eat was when i had Soup i didnt want to strain it so i just poured a can into a bowl and heated it up. I swooshed a few small peices of carrot in my teeth and they were super soft while i was eating the broth. I still dont know how many calories i should be doing in a day at this stage.

if it was me, I'd be going on mushies now.

I ate prawn cocktail in marie-rose sauce 11 days out. Chewed it like anything and it felt good - really good. The real Protein made me feel like a new human being.

Before anyone flails me, I got approval for it from the surgeon and the bariatric nurse. Whatever you eat, take it really slowly and chew like a mofo... Mushies should be the consistency of runny custard.

Don't worry about calories too much at this stage. You physically won't be able to get down so many that it'll detrimentally impact upon your weight loss. Unless, of course, you start sucking down chocolate and ice cream. That way lies grave danger.

Jim, I wouldn't worry too much. You got a food plan from your doctor, didn't you? If not, stick to the basics. Very lean meat, nothing too spicy/seasoned, vegetables well boiled and the whole lot blitzed beyond recognition in a blender. Stay away from crap like processed burgers/fried foods. They will make you sick.

Think healthy baby-food. Once you get on them, you'll feel very different and the nutrients will do you good.

The thing is too im only 2 days from mushies so im going to try and hang it in there. The only thing is once im there i really have no idea what to eat. Putting my food in a blender just doesnt seem appetizing. My wife had a DS surgery a few months ago but she cheated big time and was eating straight solid food in a month she has no self control. So the problem there is she skipped the puree phase and i dont really cook well so neither of us know how to make good tasting mushy food except for mashed potatoes.

I bought things like roasted chicken (or just boiled a chicken) and did a quick blend on that (no skin) with watery instant mashed potatoes and gravy. Same thing with meatloaf. You can also buy canned chicken or tuna and make chicken or tuna salad. Chili blended is good, refried Beans with a bit of cheese. Even had some canned "underwoods" deviled ham.

The thing is too im only 2 days from mushies so im going to try and hang it in there. The only thing is once im there i really have no idea what to eat. Putting my food in a blender just doesnt seem appetizing. My wife had a DS surgery a few months ago but she cheated big time and was eating straight solid food in a month she has no self control. So the problem there is she skipped the puree phase and i dont really cook well so neither of us know how to make good tasting mushy food except for mashed potatoes.

Edited by laura-ven

Jim, Laura is absolutely right.

Do you have children? If so, when they were wee little babies, what did you feed them?

To add to what Laura has told you, go on google, search 'baby food recipes' and go from there. Or search 'recipe's' or 'pureed stage' in the forum topics and there are a plethora of food ideas on there.

If you're on a tight budget and have to cook for the whole family - or even just the two of you - as Laura said; boil a chicken, shred it, make instant mash and a bit of gravy. Cant go wrong with that and it'll taste heavenly. It'll also last you for quite a few days....

if it's cooking techniques you're both unsure of - let us know what you'd like to eat (within reason, of course!) and we might be able to give you step-by-step instructions on what to do when you get the raw ingredients to the kitchen.