Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is broth important?

Today is my first day at home I'm mainly concentrating in taking my Protein and liquid in. Is it important to have my broth as well? Or can I build up to it? I know it might sound silly but I'm just curious.

You can build up to it. Start with what the doctors suggested and what you're comfortable with

broth is just a liquid alternative--no real nutrients to speak of. I have found vegetable broth a lot easier than chicken broth. Welcome home! I got home on Saturday, and it does get better every day.

Right now at your stage the most important thing is to stay hydrated. For some people, warm liquids work better than cold or room temperature. I was fortunate that I could do everything from the beginning.

Congratulations on your surgery, and hope your recovery goes well.

Is it important to have my broth as well?.

nesa83

newbie - welcome home from the hospital :)

you are officially on the road to a heathier, happier, longer life!!!

as OP, "broth IS just a liquid alternative"

as long as you are getting in your liquids - you are good to go :)

popsicles are considered a liquid too - and they are yummy

take care (you too Teachamy)

plenty of rest et al

speedy recovery

kathy

Thank you all for your replies. I added strawberries to my Protein because it's disgusting w/o and helped me drink it. I've been drinking a ounce of Water every 15 min and walking every hour for 5-10min all of sudden I get gas pain but nothing I can't handle I am taking my pain meds. I have not took the nausea ones because I've been ok w/o it. I'm just trying to stay hydrated and I'll just have some broth when my family has Christmas eve dinner. What there eating I love but I'm not craving it right now I'm just worried about getting better. Thank you all again.

Ack!!! No strawberries!!! The seeds! The healing stomach! The staple line no bueno :( Sorry girlie...

Oh no!!! I had no idea now I'm scared I ruined it or caused damaged. I blended 3 strawberries in there with my 4 ounces of protein!! Do you think I caused severe damaged? What about mango pieces blended do you think that will be better? I'm scared now.

Oh no!!! I had no idea now I'm scared I ruined it or caused damaged. I blended 3 strawberries in there with my 4 ounces of protein!! Do you think I caused severe damaged? What about mango pieces blended do you think that will be better? I'm scared now.

The odds are you did no damage.Don't panic.

You just don't want to get anything caught in that staple line and cause infection.

I would steer clear of any fruit just now though seeds or no seeds it is very fibrous and your stomach just can't and shouldn't be doing that kind of work just yet.

Most programs say no fruits for at least a month or two some as long as six months..

Edited by laura-ven

The odds are you did no damage.Don't panic. You just don't want to get anything caught in that staple line and cause infection. I would steer clear of any fruit just now though seeds or no seeds it is very fibrous and your stomach just can't and shouldn't be doing that kind of work just yet. Most programs say no fruits for at least a month or two some as long as six months..

Oh ok thank you. I was having trouble pre op with my Protein and my nut said I could add fruit when I'm post op but did not specify. What your telling me makes sense though. I'll just stay away.

Get some strawberry flavored Syrup instead. Strawberries were one thing I couldn't have until several months into solids.

Thank you all for your replies. I added strawberries to my Protein because it's disgusting w/o and helped me drink it. I've been drinking a ounce of Water every 15 min and walking every hour for 5-10min all of sudden I get gas pain but nothing I can't handle I am taking my pain meds. I have not took the nausea ones because I've been ok w/o it. I'm just trying to stay hydrated and I'll just have some broth when my family has Christmas eve dinner. What there eating I love but I'm not craving it right now I'm just worried about getting better. Thank you all again.

I looked in my spice cupboard to my array of baking extracts. . . . . . . .I had maple,vanilla, orange, lemon, strawberry, mint, licorice, coconut, anise & etc. and I just added a few drops to my Protein Drinks made in the blender. ( I think I bought some of them when I was on a diet center weight loss program. Anyway. . . Schilling has a large variety of flavors, and there should be no calories in those tiny drops! The strawberries you added had seeds and were not the best choice but I'm just sending this thread to give you other ideas. . . I really liked the mint. . . . one drop & add ice cubes in your blender. . yummy!

Edited by JOANNE M HOLL