Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody sleeved for other medical conditions besides obesity?

I was sleeved on the 20. I had about 5 different nurses during my hospital stay. Each and every one of them questioned me about how I was able to have the surgery, because I wasn't "fat". I don't know how I feel about this. Not everybody have the surgery because of extreme obesity. I have diabetes, sleep apnea, and hypertension. My BMI is 35. Obviously I did it for health reasons, but I feel extremely judged. It's one of the reasons why I haven't told anyone about the surgery (except for hubby of course). Anybody else have the surgery for their medical conditions?

My BMI was 32 the day of surgery. I had the surgery because of my health problems: diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fatty liver disease, sleep apnea and PCOS. I'm 26 years old and was on more medications than my grandparents ever were. Despite all these comorbidities, due to my low BMI, I did not qualify for any type of coverage here (in Canada), and self-paid for the procedure down in the U.S. Weight loss is a nice by-product but my main goal was to reverse my chronic health problems (particularly diabetes).

I'm in the same boat. Just over 35 BMI when I started. However, I'm 5ft 10 and do 'carry it well'. However and despite this, no one was in my body when I was tired, unfit, sweating, shaking through metformin ingestion, had crippling sciatica, gut wrenching periods, IBS, low self-esteem and a cracked kneecap. No one was sat there when I was given a shot across the bow by the doctors that if things didn't improve by the time I hit 40, I'd have a whole world of pain coming my way with a strong familial history of breast/womb/kidney/liver cancer which are ALL made more likely to occur by being obese.

I think I've lost 40lbs by now. No one knows apart from my Fiance that I was sleeved in order to achieve it. Don't want the commentary and certainly don't need the judgement.

I don't take any tablets any more apart from the Pill and a PPI. I can hike for 10 miles and not feel physically tired (my knee and back are still getting used to it!).

When I wake up, I leap out of bed and say 'c'mon world, what ya got for me'... (well, most of the time!)

As long as there are no unforeseen long term negative effects of having this surgery, I can't see my regretting it.

There's a LOT to be said for keeping your own counsel about this. As for the people that do know and make comments? Let them wash off you like Water off a ducks back. Those people have no place to comment and ultimately, do you really care?

I know I certainly don't! :D

I think if people question it, it's more about them than you. If you need surgery, maybe they are fat too? Also, people lie to us to be nice. With a BMI of 43 and 4'11" I was told I carried it well. I didn't. Here is a picture to prove it.

post-146075-0-93961500-1387875375_thumb.jpg

Edited by mistysj

I had surgery at a BMI of 36 and had the same issues-T2D, hi bp, apnea, plus others. I don't really care what others think. I will live longer, avoid dialysis and amputations, etc. when explaining it to others, I stress the hormonal aspects of the surgery for diabetes.