Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate a piece of pizza last night..... And I liked it!

I must be in the minority here but I certainly plan on having a piece of pizza at some point. I'm only a week post-op so it won't be for a while but I don't see anything wrong with eating a piece of pizza now and again. I just won't eat 6 or 8 pieces like I used to.

You are not in the minority here. I'm guessing 90% of the folks who enjoyed pizza pre-op will enjoy it at some point post op. There was a ruckus on this thread because having a piece less than 3 weeks post is COMPLETELY different than having a piece 1 year post.

Not following the guidelines early out can cause serious complications and we have a lot of passionate members here. Nothing wrong with that, and the OP, from what I have read, can see that.

I believe the bottom line is if you ever have to question yourself as to whether you did something questionable, then there is a VERY good chance it wasn't a good choice. If you find yourself asking, "Hmmm ... maybe I should post on the forum and find out if it is OK ..." Then I am here to tell you that it probably isn't. Deep down you know the right thing to do, but our demons sometimes yell so loud in our ears, it is difficult to think straight.

My surgeon has said bread can be dangerous...be careful!

I think I had a small slice of pizza at 5 weeks post op (Just over 8 weeks now). I know I could not have handled it 3 weeks post. I remember seeing my family eat pizza at that time and thinking, "OMG! How can they eat THAT!" LOL. I was still feeling quite bloated and nauseated then. When I did have pizza I enjoyed it, but haven't felt the need to have it since. When I smell it, I want it but then I eat something else and I'm fine. I think it is a completely normal reaction to hunger in general. I'm still figuring out what this new "hunger" sensation feels like, since it's not the same as before surgery. Anyway, don't beat yourself up about it. I don't think one slice of pizza is the end of the world. Just consider it part of the learning curve and move forward! Best to you :)

Well I was really enjoying all the wonderful and informative information in the beginning of this. It all made me really think if I have been eating wrong. I had my surgery on 11/8/13. No I have not had any pizza but I feel like I snack around because I really do not know what a meal is suppose to be! Could someone please tell me what a meal is??

2-3 oz of lean Protein (when you are approved for that stage)

then, cooked vegetables (1-2 tablespoons) and carbs as will fit.

I don't usually get much past the Protein.< /p>

I'm 9 weeks out. Don't know what your guidelines were but mine were pretty strict for the first 6 weeks, loosened from 6-8 and I'm supposedly allowed to do pretty much what my sleeve will tolerate now.

Well I was really enjoying all the wonderful and informative information in the beginning of this. It all made me really think if I have been eating wrong. I had my surgery on 11/8/13. No I have not had any pizza but I feel like I snack around because I really do not know what a meal is suppose to be! Could someone please tell me what a meal is??

I think I pretty much abandoned what my previous definition of what a meal is. I just had 85% of my stomach removed ... how could a meal possibly be the same pre-op as post-op. And if I tried to define it the same way, well, isn't that what got me in trouble in the first place? I had to change everything including what my definition of a meal.

So, instead of feeling the need to eat a 'meal', I realized what I really needed was to meet the nutritional needs of my body. Whatever way I can. If this means I eat a piece of turkey Jerky every 10 minutes for 2 hours, then that is OK. If I nibble on edamame for 2 hours, that is OK, too. I tracked everything in MyFitnessPal and then looked at my daily totals ensuring I was hitting my nutritional goals. The bottom line, for me early out, was to be as compliant as possible to the guidelines my team set for me. I do not need to finish any 'meal' in 30 minutes. I just need to meet my body's nutritional requirements. Now, what does 'nutritional requirements' mean? That is highly individual as everyone's activity level and basic needs are going to be different. My surgeon told me my body would tell me what it needed, if I paid attention. I agree with that advice. It is difficult to filter out the noise the demons of my food addiction, but down deep, I believe each of us knows when we are not doing things the right way.

"Really, my body NEEDS those Cheetos!!"

Yeah ... right.

So, to answer your question ... what is a meal. For me, it is when I meet my body's nutritional needs for what I have done and what I intend to do. There are no time constraints on meeting this need.

I eat three meals and 1-2 Snacks a day. the thing is, there's not much difference in a meal and a snack anymore so really I eat 4-5 mini meals.

At each meal/snack, I try to get in some Protein. the exception is a snack of popcorn which I have every night (don't try this until your stomach heals).

Other than that, it's 1 Breakfast shake, some kind of meat (2-3 oz), and veg for lunch and for dinner, and either another shake or a Protein pudding at night, along with another snack of popcorn with some coconut oil or butter. Sometimes I have a cottage cheese instead of a shake. This gives me at least 60 gms of protein, less than 50 gms of carbs, and I stay under 700-800 calories.