Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting For Approval

So, those of you who are still waiting, or newly approved. What sorta things are you doing to make sure you don't go crazy during this time of limbo? I want to call the office and see if they approved me.. Much like I would call an office to see if I got the job. :/ I haven't started yet. But I'm one tap away from it. Any advice for the anxious? -Dylan

I am driving myself crazy. I called the insurance company and I was told they have received my authorization request from the hospital. I called the hospital and I was so that they didn't verify my insurance for 2014 so they would resubmit the authorization to the insurance company on tomorrow. This is so frustrating...

Wait I'm confused. Your insurance got the green light from the hospital, but the hospital did not get the green light from the insurance? How does that work. FYI, I have group health... So my hospital I my insurance... I don't understand much about insurance...
My insurance company told me they never received any paperwork from the hospital asking for an authorization. When I called the hospital bed I was too when he tried to check to see if I had insurance coverage for 2014 they couldn't prove it so to hit call back today to find out.
Typo sorry... My insurance company told me they never received any paperwork from the hospital asking for an authorization. When I called the hospital back they said they need to see if I have insurance coverage for 2014 so they will call back today to find out and submit my paperwork.

Well, today has been very emotional. I called the dr to see if they had heard from the insurance company and they had. My insurance denied it. The waterworks started. The girl told me the doctor was going to call them at 3 to talk to them. He did and at 3:15 I got the call that I had been approved. My surgery is December 31st. What a way to bring in the new year. I am thinking about all of you. I go in Monday for my pre-opt appt with my doctor. I am excited and nervous about this new journey I am about to start.

How awesome!!! Glad your dr went to bat for you. That speaks loads!

ShayLove, I definitely understand your frustration!! My paperwork was submitted on 11/28, and I didn't get my approval until 12/18!! Meanwhile everyone else I spoke to got approvals within a week!! I was told that the faxes sent were unreadable, they got the paperwork but had not assigned it to a nurse yet, and every other excuse!! I was then told by Aetna that approvals for elective surgeries are not considered 'high priority'! Best bet is to keep calling, and be sure to call BOTH SIDES...meaning the insurance as well as the surgeon, to assure that NOTHING is delaying the process! At least if you can get a status about things, it helps you keep your sanity while you're waiting...please let me know how things go!

<p>ShayLove, I definitely understand your frustration!! My paperwork was submitted on 11/28, and I didn't get my approval until 12/18!! Meanwhile everyone else I spoke to got approvals within a week!! I was told that the faxes sent were unreadable, they got the paperwork but had not assigned it to a nurse yet, and every other excuse!! I was then told by Aetna that approvals for elective surgeries are not considered 'high priority'! Best bet is to keep calling, and be sure to call BOTH SIDES...meaning the insurance as well as the surgeon, to assure that NOTHING is delaying the process! At least if you can get a status about things, it helps you keep your sanity while you're waiting...please let me know how things go! </p>

Even though I'm happy you finally got your approval I pray that mine don't take that long. Whew... That was almost a month.

Man, that insurance and hospital dance sounds horrible. Like I said before, I have group health, and the two are the same. I have mixed feelings about the overall care that I receive from GH.. But I suppose I am lucky when it comes to the insurance dance.

I called my doctor on Monday (1week from the sent approval day) and was told that the one and ONLY nurse who could go over my paperwork was out on vacation for the holidays. And it was likely that I would not hear back until sometime next week.. This coming Monday will be the end if week two, (when I was told I would get my approval by at the latest) and now I'm looking into possibly three weeks wait total. Guh!

The part that annoys me is that up until now GH has always been very punctual in their timelines. They always have them selfs extra wiggle room, but alway made it within deadline. I'm going to call again on Friday. See if she is back yet and has done my approval... :( I want to know!!!

Submitted on Monday & APPROVED today(Thursday)! That is with Christmas in the middle!! Yay! I can't believe it went this fast! Yay Anthem!

Submitted on Monday & APPROVED today(Thursday)! That is with Christmas in the middle!! Yay! I can't believe it went this fast! Yay Anthem!

Congrats! I was told today they couldn't verify my insurance for 2014 until January 1st. The system is only showing eligible until 12/31/2013 so I won't be approved until January and looking forward to surgery close til the end of January or early February

It seems like whenever you want something bad everything tries to hold you back.

It seems like whenever you want something bad everything tries to hold you back.

All the more reason I fight for it! ;)

Hmm...Do you have an annaul deductible? It seems the insurance wants to start a new year with a new deductible.

Got my denial today. All because I am not diabetic. I am on my way to the doctors now to see if I can qualify as having "early stages of diabetes" and if I do that might help with my appeal that I send in next week. Guh. Very frustrating!

Have your doctor call them. Sometimes when the doctor talks to them they are able to get it approved.

Have your doctor call them. Sometimes when the doctor talks to them they are able to get it approved.

Not usually when I don't already qualify for the two basic requirements. But my doctor is in board with me so that makes me feel a little better.

I got this message from my doctor yesterday. This might be my ticket into surgery...

post-200317-0-89412800-1388873419_thumb.jpg

I got this message from my doctor yesterday. This might be my ticket into surgery...<br><br>

I really hope that works for you. I'm still waiting on a response.