Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your psychiatrist do this?

Yes she was a trip, she had me start at 100 and subtract 7 going backwards, now what that has to do with Bariatric surgery I don't know. She even questioned whether I would be successful with the sleeve bc 1) I haven't always been obese 2) I had Braun surgery in 2000 and became a chocolate lover following that surgery and gained all my weight following that surgery. She said the brain us an enigma and how do you know my obesity isn't in your brain.... Um WTH?

Are you sure she wasn't another patient pretending to be the psychiatrist? Saw a movie like that once. :D

I hate to voice a stereotype but it seems a lot of psychs are in dire need of their own services.

LOL. She does probably need her own services

My psych eval was weird - she kept staring at me, really deeply staring. Then when I would look away, like out the window to try to avoid the staring, she'd look out the window like she was trying to find out what i was looking at. At the end she gave me a hand out for a class she was giving and it was "only $50". I threw it away when I left the building.

My bigger issue was with the nutritionist - I had to meet with her prior as part of their peer review to see if I was ready, just like the physch eval. She wasn't particularly nice - and seemed very judgmental and you could tell she had never worn anything more than a size 2 in her life. She put a 1/4 cup measuring cup in front of me and said, "Can you stop at that amount of food because that's all you'll be able to eat for a long time after surgery." I said, "Well, not now, but perhaps I will after surgery." In the end, I opted to go with a different bariatric group at a different hospital. I couldn't imagine working with her for the next year!

What is Braun surgery? I tried Googling it but no luck.

Sorry that was a typo, brain surgery

What is Braun surgery? I tried Googling it but no luck.

I laughed at that!!! It took me a minute to realize it was a typo as well.

Wow! Mine was an hour including the ridiculous T/F test (I see dead people). Mine was very pleasant and it was almost like a chat over coffee. I distinctly felt like it was a rubber stamp procedure. My approval went in the same day...

I came right out and cleared the air with my shrink before the interview even started. I told him if he had any objections to my having bariatric surgery then we could skip the session and I'd just leave and get a different shrink that will provide what I needed for clearance. After all.....I"M the one paying for his services and I am under no obligation to use only him. Plus, I'm doing this regardless of his opinion. He agreed and said he had no problems with anyone seeking WLS and the interview went very smoothly.

My advice is if you're sure and confident of your decision to have WLS.....and you have any problems with your shrink's evaluation........dump it!! Get another one from someone else. You and your coordinator will be choosing what paperwork to submit to your insurance for approval. Don't waste your time with negative professionals.

Edited by Recycled

No, actually my psychologist works with patients that are going through the surgery process so she was very familiar. I would ask them if their practice is to discourage people from doing WLS and if they say no then you have two choices. Delay the process by finding another psychologist, or 2) Move forward with the process to get it over with.

I think you have made up your mind already. It's not her life and she should not have a say.

Good points everyone

Wow! It sounds like you got a winner. Haha. Many wls surgeons can send you to a psychiatrist that works with wls candidates. I ended up going to a psych at the office I go to for my depression. He was a weirdo. It only took him about 20 mins and he gathered the rest of the information from past records. My counselor told me not to do it too. I was told that I wasn't "heavy enough" and that I could do it with diet and exercise. Ummm,,,my BMI is over 35 and I have medical issues. If my family doctor said I should do it, I go with what he says. I understand that their can be mental complications but it's normally practitioners saying bias things because they have their own opinions. It is your choice and your health, not theirs!

My psy eval was pretty easy. My doc sent me to the guy he sends everyone to. So everything went smoothly.... except for the part where he offered me some candy and a ride :blink: I balked at the offer when I saw the white panel van we were going to get in, but he added a puppy to the deal. I couldn't pass that up!

Edited by joatsaint

So I had my psych eval yesterday and the psychiatrist kept trying to talk me out of Bariatric surgery, did yours? At the end she said she would give her approval, but I found her to be very rude. What was your experience?

That's very strange. She shouldn't have been "testing" you. It sounds like her personal opinion of bariatric surgery was getting in the way of her ability to do her job properly. Talking you out of the surgery is NOT the purpose of the psych evaluation.

Yes, she was quite a gem.... Not! Ironically she's the one my surgeon uses