Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you know the bougie size that was used in your weight loss surgery? Can any of you attribute your success or failure to that bougie size?

The bougie size used on my sleeve was a 38. I lost 100lbs very quickly but I started to lose restriction within 8 - 9 months. I am three years out and I am seeking a revision because I have regained most of the weight I lost.

A year ago I had to have a scope because if reflux disease and I was devastated to learn that stomach was large/normal. In fact, my gastroenterologist told me he would found it hard to believe that I'd had a sleeve gastrectomy if I hadn't told him.

I believe the bougie size plays a huge part in wether the sleeve will be successful long term. The sleeve will eventually stretch no matter what the initial bougie so the start size is extremely important. No matter what op you have it is the restriction that is the most important tool; if you lose that tool then it seems like your back to square one.

Xxx

I saw a bill which stated that a 45 in. stapler was used, I would imagine that constitutes the size of the bougie, even with that I can only eat roughly 2 - 3 ounces. Anything beyond that I feel as though I've eaten two cows! Very uncomfortable, so I don't even push beyond that because I've heard stories of stretching, but then again, I heard stories from people who are several years out and they have stated their restriction is the same as their initial surgery.

Have you searched for anything on VSG revision or failure.

There's not much difference from the bougie sizes. I also had a 38 (8 months ago). The larger the size, the less complication rate. When I eat carbs and slider food I can eat enormous amounts but if I stick to dense Protein like I should be doing, I feel restriction. I'm told that the entire fundus (the part that stretches) is removed no matter what size bougie is used and if your stomach stretches back it's because the surgery was done incorrectly.

I cannot attribute my success or failure to bougie size. As you know the difference between 32f and 38f is minimal..

After the first 6 to 7 months or so all of us will have a bit more room because the stomach does relax..

As for your stomach being stretched out to pre surgery proportions.. Over eating will stretch our stomachs out more.. That's why it's so important to not over stuff for life. Just to eat enough till satisfied. Even if we overstuffed I believe it's impossible to stretch our stomachs out to pre surgery size unless there was some doctor error..

These surgeons are learning as they go and I'm sure from three years ago to today there have been advancements and little changes that each surgeon does to ensure success trail and error..

For instance they used to use up to a 60f bougie!

Unheard of today, because of less than successful outcomes..

My thought? I wonder if your surgeon (bougie aside) did not get all the fundus out??

This is very interesting to me. I actually don't know. I think I will call my doctor and ask.

I know there is people that have regained and lose the restriction but I thought that it is because they started eating more than the 3-6 oz they are supposed to eat. I am worried that when I get to a year that the 3 oz or 4 oz won't make me feel full but I have heard that if you continue to weigh and measure and stay on top of the carbs then you should be fine. I am hoping that is the case.

I know several people that they eat what ever they want but they just eat a small amounts and I think this is what ends up hurting over time because they are eating the heavy carbs like Pasta and bread and when they start eating more like a cup they are getting too many unhealthy carbs.

I am going to ask my doctor about the bougie. I think that is a good idea and do some research on it. Thanks for the info and I wish you the best with the revision. :unsure:

I saw a bill which stated that a 45 in. stapler was used, I would imagine that constitutes the size of the bougie, even with that I can only eat roughly 2 - 3 ounces. Anything beyond that I feel as though I've eaten two cows! Very uncomfortable, so I don't even push beyond that because I've heard stories of stretching, but then again, I heard stories from people who are several years out and they have stated their restriction is the same as their initial surgery.

Have you searched for anything on VSG revision or failure.

Thank you for your response. I will check out the VSG revision and or failure.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the 45 in stapler refers to the bougie used. Maybe more to do with the staple line perhaps?

Good luck with your continued success.

Thanks again for responding.

Xx

just wanted to add.....when I read the title of this post, I thought you were talking about boogers.

Bougie size.

I have very strong opinions on making them a factor in a "successful" surgery outcome.

They do not do the work at losing the weight, you do

A too small a bougie (32f) MAY increase complications (leaks, strictures) . The most common used is 32-40 F

The bougie (some don't even use bougies) sizes are used as a guide A GUIDE ONLY! for the doctor when removing your stomach. As far as getting a "bigger" or "smaller" sleeve the difference between the ALL bougies sizes are really very small..

Your doctor will know what is right for you!

Everyone's stomachs are different some are small, some are long so even two people using the same size bougie can have different capacities after..

And as far as "getting one as small as you can"

If your stomach is made to small there is a greater chance of long term problems.

post-167126-0-94844000-1387140356_thumb.jpg

I cannot attribute my success or failure to bougie size. As you know the difference between 32f and 38f is minimal..

After the first 6 to 7 months or so all of us will have a bit more room because the stomach does relax..

As for your stomach being stretched out to pre surgery proportions.. Over eating will stretch our stomachs out more.. That's why it's so important to not over stuff for life. Just to eat enough till satisfied. Even if we overstuffed I believe it's impossible to stretch our stomachs out to pre surgery size unless there was some doctor error..

These surgeons are learning as they go and I'm sure from three years ago to today there have been advancements and little changes that each surgeon does to ensure success trail and error..

My thought? I wonder if your surgeon (bougie aside) did not get all the fundus out??

I am seeing a surgeon tomorrow for advice on a revision so will take it from there.

I always believed that the stomach could never return to its complete original size so that is why I was so shocked at what my gastro doc told me. He said it looked large and normal sized so that combined with my short lived restriction I would be very curious to know what's what inside.

I need to research more about the fundus...it looks like it might play a huge part too.

Thank you for your help

Xx

Can someone explain what a bougie is in "Bougie for Dummies" terms. LOL. I've seen many discussions on it and I'm still in the dark.

This is very interesting to me. I actually don't know. I think I will call my doctor and ask.

I know there is people that have regained and lose the restriction but I thought that it is because they started eating more than the 3-6 oz they are supposed to eat. I am worried that when I get to a year that the 3 oz or 4 oz won't make me feel full but I have heard that if you continue to weigh and measure and stay on top of the carbs then you should be fine. I am hoping that is the case.

I know several people that they eat what ever they want but they just eat a small amounts and I think this is what ends up hurting over time because they are eating the heavy carbs like Pasta and bread and when they start eating more like a cup they are getting too many unhealthy carbs.

I am going to ask my doctor about the bougie. I think that is a good idea and do some research on it. Thanks for the info and I wish you the best with the revision. :unsure:

That's why I have been reluctant to post the failure of my sleeve.

I believe strongly that posts of a failure can have a negative affect on some people. That said, I know that rose colored specs way of looking at things is also not very informative too.

It's true, I have lost my tool for success, but I do have to admit that once I lost that tool I did not help matters and slipped into "old ways". I loved that feeling of restriction...I welcomed it.

Xx

Can someone explain what a bougie is in "Bougie for Dummies" terms. LOL. I've seen many discussions on it and I'm still in the dark.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4517656/Bougie-Size-Infamous-Pen-Photo-Question/

It's the tool/size guide they use when making up your sleeve.

Xx

I would like to stretch mine out a little. The amount of food I can eat now is really really tiny. I went to Chipoltle today and I got some taco's. No rice, minimal Beans, meat and tomatoes. I got about halfway through the first one and I was done. I am still learning to accept that stopping point. It's tough.

I would like to stretch mine out a little. The amount of food I can eat now is really really tiny. I went to Chipoltle today and I got some taco's. No rice, minimal Beans, meat and tomatoes. I got about halfway through the first one and I was done. I am still learning to accept that stopping point. It's tough.

You don't need to stretch it out any! Trust me.

You are still newly sleeved (not even 6 months yet) there is a reason they call this the honeymoon (best losing window) period. Like over night capacity will change.. not back to pre sleeve but compared to what you got used to eating it will feel like it.

Your stomach is still not healed all they way it will relax on its own and you can eat a bit more.

I can eat a taco... I wish I couldn't but I can..

Edited by laura-ven