Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zone or paleo for fitness

Have been trying to eat paleo since hitting goal in February 2013. While I can do it without too much of a struggle, it does get a little boring. I have been considering transitioning into zone diet because it seems to be a solid nutritional platform for athletes and offers more choice then paleo. I still am going to focus on high lean Protein and leafy green veggies, but am also going to up carbs and fat more towards the zone ratios.

What do you think of the zone bar as a snack:

post-135281-0-40426100-1387131571_thumb.jpg

I have had these a few times last week when on a business trip and they seem to satisfy me much better then bars like pure protein (20 g protein, 1 carb). I eat one of these zone bars and do not get the nagging desire for another as low carb Protein Bars trigger. Must be the imbalance of macros in a pure Protein Bar that causes it. I try and eat real food when possible, but sometimes need to eat a bar if real food is inaccessible.

Does zone diet work for maintaining after hitting goal and, more importantly, for keeping body in a state that will maximize results from cross fit (or other exercise program like that).

The aspect I like about paleo is it keeps my insulin response in a neutral position. I am satisfied in terms of hunger throughput the day and eat 7-8 meals to total between 2000-2200 calories. My weight stays where it needs to, but does drop low if I increase exercise intensity or add a day. 4-5 days of working out now for about 20 min on average oh high intensity effort (total time daily is about 1.5 hours, but that includes warmup workout , mobility, skill work, lifting, high intensity workout, cool down workout).

What are your thoughts on paleo versus zone for an athlete?

Here is a good resource I have been studying on the differences of paleo versus zone as it applies to exercise (specifically crossfit):

http://crossfitzone.ca/paleo-vs-zone-nutrition-for-the-games/

Fiddle.... I think the second paragraph in that link says it all....what works best for one person will not be best for another. I've tried upping my carbs more than once to fuel my workouts... Only to bonk more and have less energy. So for me it's Paleo. I think my body really has responded well to being fat adapted. The zone diet would be too many carbs for me. But for someone not so insulin resistant they might thrive on it.

As for the zone bars....I used to eat them pre surgery. They were like candy bars to me. I could eat a whole box. I think they go against the principle of both of the diets....which is eating clean. But sometimes we just get caught out and about and we need some calories right? I've been keeping a shaker bottle with some Protein powder in my car. If I need some Protein quick I just buy a bottle of Water and make a shake. I do eat the Quest bars from time to time but I try to limit them. They have more protein and more Fiber than the zone bars, and don't taste quite so good....so I don't crave more.

I say if you want to try zone give it a shot. Give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

I don't think I'd recommend zone for anyone still losing.

Even the Paleoheads in my gym occasionally hit up carbs. Our head coach did a 24-hour fitness challenge that he capped off with beer and a Giordano's stuffed spinach pizza. (You're not from Chicago, so this may be meaningless to you.)

After just two months of being Protein based with almost no carbs, I am thinking that I will transition to mostly Paleo. Then again, I'm not at the exercise point that I really know what my body will like best.

As Butter said, it really is about eating clean. If you can use and not abuse the Zone or high Protein bars, then I think they're as legit a substitute as a Protein shake.

Add this to the list of sh&t you can smack me down for in another 6 months when I don't know everything anymore.

Considering how much effort you put into exercise Fiddle, I would say go for zone. I would also mention that you might want to consider your history (those who do not are doomed to repeat it). I have no idea what your situation was before surgery, what your triggers were, etc. But if you can handle yourself around carbs and not go whooshing down that slippery slope (as I would), then go for it. I ate 550 cals yesterday and am UP .8 lb today, wtf.

I do not feel like it is that much effort, but it may have the appearance of a lot of effort. I enjoy exercise every day whether it is among friends at cross fit or at home doing a run, DVD, Tabata, whatever. Exercise just feels like me. My diet right now is probably 80 % paleo. The shakes and bars I eat push it out of a disciplined paleo effort. However, I do attempt to eat cleanly all the time. I think this is the key to weight loss and maintenance success far more than exercise. That is, being able to eat clean consistently as a lifestyle. The occasional divergence (planned or unplanned) is ok, but is very much the exception. I have always found a clean diet to be far more efficient than exercise. You are going to find it difficult to out run, out jump and out swim a daily donut, cookie, scoop of ice cream or [fill in the blank]. Nutrition and hormone balance needs to come first.

Well, you and several other people have been a huge inspiration. I am hoping that I can do what you all do. I am still having a hard time believing that I am on the way. But that's another thread, I suppose.

I just want to put it out there that the supposed evolutionary basis for paleo is bollocks. I know you probably know that since you are very research-minded, Fiddle. And it is a way of eating that seems to work for a lot of people so that's fine. But if you are sticking to it because of the evolutionary biology aspect, please re-evaluate.

I just want to put it out there that the supposed evolutionary basis for paleo is bollocks. I know you probably know that since you are very research-minded, Fiddle. And it is a way of eating that seems to work for a lot of people so that's fine. But if you are sticking to it because of the evolutionary biology aspect, please re-evaluate.

actually there is a fair amount of research that suggest its an excellent way for humans to eat. try deep nutrition for example. good stuff.

actually there is a fair amount of research that suggest its an excellent way for humans to eat. try deep nutrition for example. good stuff.

I meant it's not backed up by science that we didn't evolve to eat grains, and most of the fruits and vegetables and meats we eat now are nothing like what our ancestors ate either.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-paleo-diet-isnt-necessarily-ideal-an-evolutionary-biologist-says/2013/04/22/986f3878-a2bb-11e2-be47-b44febada3a8_story.html

http://hells-ditch.com/2012/08/archaeologists-officially-declare-collective-sigh-over-paleo-diet/

To each his own mistyj. I cannot have grain, it's like feeding rice to a pidgeon, but that's me. I can't have alcochol I'm allergic. Dairy wreaks havoc on me unless it is very clean non-hormone, grass fed, etc etc raw milk and yogurt. You know how people often refer to facial tissues as Kleenex? and copiers as Xerox? Those are brands but they sub in for the item in general. It has sort of become that way with Paleo, people know the term, know what it is referring to, but aren't necessarily referring to a belief system regarding the eating habits of ancient humans. It's just easier and more quickly understood than saying Nourishing Traditions or something.

To each his own mistyj. I cannot have grain, it's like feeding rice to a pidgeon, but that's me. I can't have alcochol I'm allergic. Dairy wreaks havoc on me unless it is very clean non-hormone, grass fed, etc etc raw milk and yogurt. You know how people often refer to facial tissues as Kleenex? and copiers as Xerox? Those are brands but they sub in for the item in general. It has sort of become that way with Paleo, people know the term, know what it is referring to, but aren't necessarily referring to a belief system regarding the eating habits of ancient humans. It's just easier and more quickly understood than saying Nourishing Traditions or something.

I never said people couldn't have intolerances. I said that paleo's reasoning behind it is unscientific. It's not because grains are so "new" and vegetables are so "old." I am only talking about the science of evolutionary biology. Check out the links if you want to know more.