Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anybody else have gallbladder issues?

Hey all. I had surgery July 29th and the last few weeks I have felt like something is wrong. But last night after I ate I got this sharp pain under my rib cage on the right side. And I haven't been feeling goid after I eat.

I plan on making an appt with my regular dr monday because my surgeon is 2 hours away but was wanting to see if or when this happened to others what it was like.

I am terrified of another surgery but this pain has got to stop. :(

Thanks for reading or any advice!

Cindy

Hi my love, I had mine removed 11 months after my lap band surgery, 4 years ago.

It was 5 months after my surgery that I started having the extreme pains. I was getting them two three times a week at first then it stopped for a few months and started up again, I ended up in emergency one night and from there they scheduled me to have the surgery to remove it.

The best way I can describe the pain is, it was right under my chest and shots right through to my back, it almost takes your breath away. For me it would last an hour or so then go away like nothing happened.

It was unbearable, i lived alone at the time but if I was lucky enough to have someone around I would get them to rub my back.

Go see your doctor soon, this is a very common thing, very common procedure.

Fortunately it is done laposcopicly (Sp?), unfortunately they don't use the same 'hole' locations as they do for lapband so for me I have 6 more scars on my tummy. And I'm going in fora sleeving in 2 months so I will be full of scars. There are two big scars 1" long, one in/ just above my belly button and the other right smack in the middle of my tummy. There are then two more scars 1/4" on the right side of my tummy. The other ones I cant remember but they are 1/4" long. My scars have faded so much I can hardly see them after 4 years. The big ones I can still see.

I haven't had any eating issues, digestion, or pain since having it removed. I was back to work the next day.

Good luck to you, I hope I answered your questions.

Edited by jnlebean

Cindy it is not uncommon..

If you do a search here with the word gallbladder you will be kept busy for hours with all the information you need.

Many people that drop weight rapidly WLS or not end up having gallbladder issues and eventually will have it taken out. Some doctors (mine included) actually prescribe a prescription (actigal) For the first six months to prevent any problems..

Once again do a search here with the word gallbladder...

Yep just had mine out a little over two weeks ago. im so happy its gone i feel much better! Good luck to you....

I agree with what Laura said. I had my gallbladder removed the day after Thanksgiving. I'd been having attacks for a little over a year. I had my wl surgeon do the surgery and she used the Davinci robot. I never had ANY pain post op. She said it was due to the precision of the robot. So if possible, the robot is something you should consider. No gas pain, no incision pain. Easy recovery. Best wishes :)

Thanks for the replies. When I looked up gall bladder I got a bunch of error messages.. I can't seem to figure out this site. So I woll delete it and reinstall and see if that helps.

I just knew if I posted I would hopefully get some quick answers.

Thanks again!

I'm only 5 weeks post sleeve and had an ultrasound before being sleeved that showed no stones. This past week for 2 days I had the same pain under my right ribcage radiating into my back. My dr said that because I haven't lost over 50 lbs he doesn't think it's my gallbladder. He thinks I'm having muscle spasms. I've lost 39 and don't agree with him. I asked for a gallbladder function test and am scheduled for it This Friday.

I had to get mine out last month, my surgeon said usually will have to remove between 6-9 months after surgery due to the rapid weight loss. Hope this helps you out :-)

Thanks. I am making an appt with my dr. It doesn't hurt constantly but enough to make me want to get it checked out and if I have to have it out I'm hoping they can do it before the new year... already met deductible for this year.

Thanks. I am making an appt with my dr. It doesn't hurt constantly but enough to make me want to get it checked out and if I have to have it out I'm hoping they can do it before the new year... already met deductible for this year.

Yes, it's better to do it before it becomes infected and an emergent case. It's much safer and less risk of complications. Best wishes :)

Hi Cindy! Cindy here. Had my gallbladder out 12 days ago. 2 surgeries in 6 months -- my body is not happy. Surgery is a lot easier than sleeve. In and out the same day. Some foods are nauseating me (the fatty ones of course), and I am REALLY tired, but otherwise okay.

I have had intermittent pain in my right side for about 7 years, and I kept telling doctors that came from "that family". All women in my family have gall bladder problems. But ultrasounds didn't show any gall stones so gallbladder issues ruled out. My Bariatric surgeon sent me for a HIDA scan when I casually mentioned nausea 4 months after my sleeve. HIDA scan showed a gallbladder full if sludge and basically non-functional. So it had to come out. Don't let them dismiss you with an negative ultrasound -- insist on a HIDA scan!

Good luck to you. And feel better!