Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5'4" and I weigh 272 lbs. I have hypertension, plantar fasciitis, stress incontinence, low self esteem and I can't even toss and turn in my bed without feelin as if my spine is going to separate from my back tissue. Any hoo, I was about to schedule my surgery and I am paying out of pocket (my teacher's insurance has an exemption for weight loss surgery...so much for molding our future).

I am now reconsidering it because I am fat and already have lose skin...I can't imagine what my body is going to look like when I lose weight. I am, particularly concerned about my boobs and tummy. If I pay for the surgery then I will not be able to afford cosmetic surgery later, but if I lose the weight on my own then I can use the money for cosmetic surgery. I do not trust myself to be able to lose 100 plus lbs. on my own. Is the sleeve the "easy" way out? Should I be concerned about not being able to afford cosmetic surgery? I need overall advice.

Well you already answered your own question about doing it on your own..

" I do not trust myself to be able to lose 100 plus lbs. on my own."

So now it's all about loose skin and "easy way out"

There is nothing easy about this. Anybody that has gone through this surgery will tell you this.

This is a tool to HELP you lose weight but it will not do all the work.

Loose skin? Well what looks better smaller and a little loose or keeping the fat to keep it somewhat taut?

I had this surgery to get healthy not win any modeling contests. My hope was to get off meds and I said I'd be happy to look ok in clothes.

Yes I've got loose skin.. Meh...

I'm not on high blood pressure meds I HAD planter fasciitis not anymore :)

So you need to do what's good for your health, know that though you won't look perfect,

You will be healthier happier and mobile :)

Isn't that what's important?

I can only give you the perspective from a guy. I decided at the beginning that I'd rather have loose skin and a flappy belly hanging down that be fat and have tight skin. And I do have loose skin, but I don't have the problems with pain and sleep apnea I had a year ago.

The only regrets I have are that I didn't have this done 20 years ago and on the rare occasion, I miss not being able to eat as much as I could in the past - but that is really rare.

If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now - how much it hurt, how much I'd have to work at exercising and my eating habits - there's no question in my mind that I'd do it all over again in a second! It really has been a 2nd chance at life for me.

Well, here is another factor....the benefits good health is way more important that the issue of "loose skin".

I had plastics, first to admit I wanted that improvement for the extra skin, but i would have been "ok" without plastics too.

If I could have lost and maintained without the sleeve - I would have done it that way. If you can do it without surgery, that would be awesome, but it is really a separate subjct than loose skin.

Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow, everybody is so wound up about extra skin and it is really a minor problem compared to poor health, low self esteem and a shorter lifespan caused by obesity.

To echo one of the best Wisdom Wizards here,(yes, Laura, that means you! :) ) no. The sleeve is NOT the easy way out! And, if it were, so what! Do you wash your clothes by hand or take the easy way out and use a washer? You get my drift….thats one of the things people say that just irate the bejesus out of me….I digress……NO, this is not the easy way out!

If you could do it on your own, you would have done it. I couldn't do it on my own and keep it off. It is what it is.

Lastly, so what if you have loose skin? I had loose skin before surgery and I have it now. I have saggy boobies too. I can live with that. Victora's Secret has some awesome boobie lifters! :) Who knew?? I was self pay as well and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Even if it means no plastics later. I'll take the health, happiness and newfound active and much longer life.

Just my 2 cents.

At 6 months out, I'm starting to see the loose skin forming. I knew going in that I probably wouldn't be able to afford plastics later. As much as I know my skin will look weird, I wouldn't change a thing. I feel so much better now than I did 6 months ago. I can move and walk so much better & I'm in much less pain. I am participating in my own life much more fully than I was before. I have worked hard to make good food choices & I am able to exercise in a way that was impossible for me before. Absolutely no regrets here!

All I can say is the only thing have to lose is the pounds. The loose skin is just a battle scar of war you have fought years.

I lost 170# with diet and exercise and it was HARD! I am one week from surgery, doing pre-op diet and it is Hard!. I am sure post op and the next 6-12 months will be hard. But the hardest part for me was that after counting calories, working about 10 hrs a week, and doing the right things for about 2 years I STARTED TO PUT THE POUNDS BACK ON. I lost the 170# and was doing triathlons, ran marathons and was up for any physical challenge,..but the weight came back. It was hard to be fat again after being thin/healthy. My skin was loose but not as bad as I expected. I think the exercise helped greatly in that department. when I was at goal I convinced myself I would never be fat again. Well, I was clearly wrong. I put 150 pounds back on. Now am hopeful that the surgery, exercise, and the knowledge I got from the last time failed attempt I will keep the weight off. I am sure it will be very hard but I think the surgery is my best hope for sustained weight loss. Plus, if we all looked great naked, there would be no need for clothes.

I agree with the above statements, I would rather be healthier and happy with loose skin then unhealthy and depress with ongoing health issues .

Who's to say you can't have plastics later? Surgery is certainly not easy. But as others have said, fat with health problems with tight skin or thin and healthy with loose skin?

Well, look at my before and after photos in my profile. My "after" is actually 10# heavier than now and pre-plastics and I still look ALOT and I mean ALOT better than my "befores"

Hi Everyone:

I cannot express how much i appreciate all your wisdom. Its bad enough that my weight is the daily monkey on my back,

but to not have anyone who understands and deals with my issues of pain, fits of self hatred, etc. is so hard. I am so thankful for those that have responded to my concerns and have taken the time to guide me. Your words put things in perspective for me. I cant wait to share my journey with my new friends.