Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill misery

Since I've been getting ravenously hungry every two hours, I was really looking forward to my first fill today.

I went in and the fill nurse and I talked for quite awhile, and she was concerned with the number of times that I've PB'd and vomited in the past week. I explained to her that I'm starving when it's time to eat and that I keep having to fight the urge to eat quickly and with too large of a bite. She told me that she really didn't think I should have a fill yet, but she'd go ahead and give me one, if I promised to work on those issues. I promised, and she whipped out the hypodermic and gave me a 1.2cc fill.

I went to take my drink of Water and it was quickly apparent that I was too tight. We went back to the room where she proceeded to poke me a second time, and removed .3cc.

Back to the Water fountain and this time when I took a drink, I felt like I was in huge trouble. The nurse gave me the option of having the fill removed, or going over to the surgery center and having an x-ray because she was beginning to feel like I had slipped, with all the PBs and vomiting.

They got me into the xray room and gave me my barium, and said the band was fine - no slippage (hey, some good news), but the nurse once again came over with her handy dandy hypo and after poking me for the third time, took out the rest of my fill.

She said that until I learn to get PBs and vomiting under control - no fills for me, but that I can try again in two weeks, if I have the issues under control.

I am totally bummed. I could really use some encouraging words, because I'm feeling like such a failure today.

:think

I have not had any pbs yet. I am very grateful. I am having problems eating too much. I dont eat to much at one time but I feel like I am eating all day. I guess my point is hang in there. I think that a lot of us feel like failures some days and I think that is really only human. I know I do anyway so if it is not normal than call me weird. I hope you get those pbs worked out and to get your fill in 2 weeks. I know I cant wait to get my first so I can just about imagine how bummed you were. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank God you were not slipped! Try eating small frequent meals and drinking a lot between meals and see if that helps with the ravenous feeling and urge to eat quickly. You CAN do this!

Good luck and keep us posted!

one thing that worked for me when i got super hungry before my first fill was drinking flavored water. plain Water made me want to gag but putting some crystal light or something like that really helps or even chewing gum works. i kind of am able to trick myself into thinking i am eating something since the gum is flavored. i know how frustrating it is as well, i was supposed to have my 1st fill but the dr couldn't get ahold of the port so i had to schedule ANOTHER appt. try it w/ xray. just hang in there, as previously stated we are all only human :0)

OH Helen...so sorry about today's experience for you. It could be any of

us. Don't feel bad. This is a hard thing to do. We're trying to eat in a completely different way than we've done for years...and HOW??? There's nothing to restrict us. I'm having trouble eating too much also.

Don't be discouraged, just try to look at it as another chance to work on those small portions. The bites I take are too big and I know I'm not eating all the right things...This is definetely not the easy way out. I feel your pain.

Keep your chin up....it's not your fault...we're all in this together...we're all learning to eat these little "pencil eraser" size bites.......it's very hard.

Good Luck and let me know how you're doing.

Michele

Thanks all, for the support. I'm trying not to stay too down, but it's hard. How frigging hard is it to look at a bit of food and say "no, this is too big"?? The good news though is that I did manage to keep my lunch (tuna salad) down with no problems, and have managed to drink a whole bottle of Water...which I suddenly prefer COLD, instead of the room temp I've drank it at for years. Weird!

Tomorrow is another day though!

Ok, the cold Water may be what is locking up your band. If I drink anything cold before eating I PB. If I have a cup of warm or hot tea I can eat with no problems. Also consider eating off of kid sized spoons and forks. I did this for several months and really relearned how to eat. ~Mandy

I had bought a baby spoon and fork a few weeks ago, and tonight, used the fork for the first time - no PB! Other than the PB at the fill center, I haven't PBd ONCE today!

As far as the cold Water, I just started doing that yesterday, so I'm thinking its not related.

Just be aware that the cold can cause the band to tighten down. The baby spoon was a lifesaver when I was first banded. ~Mandy

Don't be down on yourself, Trial and error sooner or later you will figure it all out.. I've had my band for 9 months and still can't get it right.. For a month I was PB'ing almost everyday, I found that drinking before I ate was a big no no I wont have a drink 45 minutes b4 or after I eat and something like that really helped me out. I still get the occasional stuck even when I have tried my hardest to follow all the rules..

Good luck matey hope you can figure all this out

Another think I had to learn was not allowing myself to get to hungry. If I would then I would either eat to fast or to big of bites and would PB everytime. Now I eat smaller amounts but more frequent.

Don't bee too hard on yourself. We all feel we've failed somewhere, sometime, every now and then. Learning how to eat properly once you're banded is really an art. Do a bit of research through different post here and you'll find lots of helpful tricks such as using a small dessert plate for your meals, little baby fork, not drinking during meals, etc. Most of all, don't let yourself get to that stage of feeling so ravenous hungry that when you get to your food you'll gulp it down at once. And remember, most important of all: chew, chew and chew! trust me, it makes all the difference.

Believe it or not, you'll have to work along with your band, not against it. The band is there to help you out.

niki

Helen, I learned something yesterday about being hungry. I too thought I needed a fill because I was hungry every 2 hours. I called the surgeon's office and spoke to him. Apparently my diet is too soft. She he told me to eat more lean meats and take out the foods like tuna salad, cheese sticks and yogurt. I am hoping it helps me stay full longer. You may want to monitor your diet. Julie

Hello

My name is Diddi and Im comming from Europe, State Croatia (near Italy). my english is not very good because I'll never had that language in scool, evereting I know I learn myself.

End so, I have lap band since 12. february 2007. First fill must have at 26. march but it was cancelled because my doctor was on operation and he is only doctor in our state that do this procedure.

Im very happy because I have found this forum and can get information.

At 12. february I had 126 kg, today, 29. march 2007. I have 116,50 kg.

Helen, well I may NOT be getting my first fill on 4/10 as scheduled after reading your post.....I'm 5 weeks post op and am the PB & vomit queen. I actually made my self throw up (which didn't take too much effort) 3 times in the last 2 weeks because I did something wrong and that was the only way to get immediate relief from what felt like spikes in my chest. I may do the baby silverware thing, I have some from my toddler son. This whole thing isn't as easy as I thought......