Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet starts tomorrow

Tomorrow I start my 2 week pre-op diet. It has been interesting reading all the different requirements from different doctors. I can have 5 small meals a day - Soup, yogurt, pudding, Meal Replacement shakes and skim milk.(I am allowed to have a small amount of lean Protein, veggies and a small fruit for the first week if I need it) I think the first 3 days ail be the hardest as my body adjusts to the changes, but I am ready for the challenge!! My biggest concern is switching to Decaf coffee. I have been doing one cup regular and one cup decaf for the past week. Tomorrow starts only decaf. Again, I think I will be fine, but just have a bit of nervous energy.

My biggest concern is not getting sick. There are so many germs floating around and I am terrified of catching a cold!!

Consider yourself lucky LI Lady. That's a pretty good pre-op diet. Lot's of banders were on all liquids. I was able to have a small salad and some veggies every day along with the broth and Protein drinks. These two weeks will be challenging but just remember to follow the doctor's orders and you'll do great!

I started my one week preop diet today. The only solids I'm allowed are raw veggies and 2 servings of fruit. I am allowed a limited amount of yogurt, pudding, and cottage cheese. Does your surgeon want you to give up caffeine? I'm allowed to have diet tea and coffee. That would be really hard to give up. Keep some advil nearby. Caffeine headaches are a bitch!

My pre op diet went three weeks and was two Protein shakes into which I could blend frozen fruit, if I wished and one lean and green meal of plenty of salad greens, a cup of green veg and six to eight ounces of lean Protein of my choice. Not too horrid, really. I kept on drinking my usual buckets of fully leaded coffee and favorite sugar free Creamer. No one told me I couldn't and it didn't muck up the works. :D

I don't get why some surgeons forbid caffeine pre surgery or post band. I have never had difficulty with it when having surgery and my band doesn’t seem to mind it and my surgeon doesn't forbid it... Lucky for him... 3:)

I agree, it is a great pre-op diet. I was allowed shakes, only shakes and they were the prescribed by the surgeon's office kind. They were not bad,it gets pretty boring!!! Best wishes, you ae on your way!kll724

Congratulations! You are getting there......sounds like a pretty sweet pre-op diet to me. I was in shake works for two weeks. As for caffeine I think you will be fine on Decaf which still has caffeine -- and your chattering brain if it's anything like mine may be happier without the extra stimulation. I'm really happy I forced myself to kick up the exercise prior to surgery so I could step right back into that after. All the walking post-surgery is so helpful for every reason. Best wishes to you -- and what a way to usher in the New Year!

I started my pre op diet today also. It's not nearly as lenient as your though. I can have Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids. That's it. No cream in my coffee even and no sf Jello or popsicles. Have had a killer headache all day. Hope it gets easier from here.

Tomorrow I start my 2 week pre-op diet. It has been interesting reading all the different requirements from different doctors. I can have 5 small meals a day - Soup, yogurt, pudding, meal replacement shakes and skim milk.(I am allowed to have a small amount of lean Protein, veggies and a small fruit for the first week if I need it) I think the first 3 days ail be the hardest as my body adjusts to the changes, but I am ready for the challenge!! My biggest concern is switching to Decaf coffee. I have been doing one cup regular and one cup decaf for the past week. Tomorrow starts only decaf. Again, I think I will be fine, but just have a bit of nervous energy.

My biggest concern is not getting sick. There are so many germs floating around and I am terrified of catching a cold!!

Hi I was not told to drink decaf neither , I drink my regular coffe but little clear and no cream one time at day in the morning with raw black sugar I got tired of splenda and my coffe did not taste the same , so far my stomach is okay with it no issues , for my 2 weeks liquid pre op I was allowed shakes, sf jelly, sf pudding, Tomato juice, raw vegetables, sf popsicles, it was hard but I lost 15 pounds pre op with that diet . Good luck!!

Today is the day. Be good to yourself and stick to the preop diet. In the end, you will be glad and proud that you do! Best wishes. Karen...aka..kll724