Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It has been a week since I attempted to get my information submitted to the insurance company. I was under the impression that my case was submitted but the insurance coordinator mixed me up with another person. How does that happen?? Anyways, I have called the insurance company and doctors office nearly every day to check on the status. Friday it still wasn't submitted.

It is so frustrating because I started the process about 8 months ago. I did the 6 months, all of the testing, psych eval, you name it. My surgery was scheduled for November but my insurance at the time wouldn't cover it. It was rescheduled for December. At the end of November I was notified that the surgeons were leaving. Basically I was SOL. So I contacted another surgeon in my area and transferred. I told them the importance of having my surgery in December because I have a winter break from school and my husband has a week off from work. I was told that they couldn't schedule me until insurance officially approved me. How frustrating! I feel overwhelmed because I am not at 40 BMI and I only have high cholesterol and GERD. I'm expecting appeals. I'm nervous about being denied. Every thought one could have, I have had it. I'm chalking it up to my anxiety disorder but I think that many people go through this. Is anyone else going through this hell? I have BCBS IL. Has anyone dealt or is dealing with them?

Needing some encouragement and prayers would help as well :(

Good luck...hope you find out something soon. I am hoping to find out something by tomorrow's appt at the doctor's. I checked w/insurance Friday, still pending. They told me the nurse (at the insurance company) had everything they needed, but had until Monday to look over. I am getting my lapband removed and hopefully the RNY bypass done. Hang in there, we can go through together.

Thank you for the reply. Good luck to you as well. That is good that they have everything they need to make a decision. I'm searching around for the documents myself because the coordinator is never in her office. It is so frustrating but I want it and I will take the initiative to get things going. Please keep me updated. Have a good night. :)

I was waiting for two months and checked in nearly everyday. My surgery was just approved today. However I scheduled my surgery two months ago, and it is next wednesday now the surgeon is saying I may be pushing it because I need time to do the preop tests.

My advice would be to stay on them. I harassed them to make sure they stayed on their job. The insurance company almost denied me because my medical records weren't sent, then the insurance requested additional docs and testing but never communicated that to the surgeon. I found out by checking into it myself. Eventually they got tired of me checking in and got on their job.

Crossing my fingers for u andhoping my surgery will still be next week.

I finally got a hold of the insurance coordinator. She sent in my documents Saturday. I asked her about the 5 year weight documentation and she didn't even question that before submitting it. Shouldn't she know these things? Anyways, I'm tracking down my weight documentation today and hoping for the best. It is insane to me because the decision to get this type of surgery is life changing. It can be very nerve racking and some of the health professionals don't understand the urgency that we feel. Good luck with your pre-op tests! :) I'll say a little prayer for you.

I am so sorry you are going through all this drama. Insurance companies amaze me. This surgery will cost them less over the years by eliminating all the issues from obesity. You would think they would push it through faster!

I went through some issues (not add bad as you) getting approved. First off, the coordinator was out few weeks from a surgery and nothing moved while she was gone. I wanted surgery this year because deductibles are paid already this year and also next year our's is going up alot! When final sent it was denied because of 6 month but I had been to my PCP before and they didn't count it. My coordinator re submitted exact same paperwork and was approved! Ugh.

Good luck and hold you get the golden ticket!

It has been a week since I attempted to get my information submitted to the insurance company. I was under the impression that my case was submitted but the insurance coordinator mixed me up with another person. How does that happen?? Anyways, I have called the insurance company and doctors office nearly every day to check on the status. Friday it still wasn't submitted. It is so frustrating because I started the process about 8 months ago. I did the 6 months, all of the testing, psych eval, you name it. My surgery was scheduled for November but my insurance at the time wouldn't cover it. It was rescheduled for December. At the end of November I was notified that the surgeons were leaving. Basically I was SOL. So I contacted another surgeon in my area and transferred. I told them the importance of having my surgery in December because I have a winter break from school and my husband has a week off from work. I was told that they couldn't schedule me until insurance officially approved me. How frustrating! I feel overwhelmed because I am not at 40 BMI and I only have high cholesterol and GERD. I'm expecting appeals. I'm nervous about being denied. Every thought one could have, I have had it. I'm chalking it up to my anxiety disorder but I think that many people go through this. Is anyone else going through this hell? I have BCBS IL. Has anyone dealt or is dealing with them? Needing some encouragement and prayers would help as well :(

Yes, I feel your frustration! I also have a BMI of 40, arthritis, patella femoral something or other ( bad knees) and recently been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. The last dx caused a stir because I have to switch from Sleeve to Bypass due to the acid. Still waiting on insurance and need to have this done in December for financial and employment ease. I'm anxiety racked... Haven't 100% researched the bypass and I had my mind set on the sleeve.. ;(

It has been a week since I attempted to get my information submitted to the insurance company. I was under the impression that my case was submitted but the insurance coordinator mixed me up with another person. How does that happen?? Anyways, I have called the insurance company and doctors office nearly every day to check on the status. Friday it still wasn't submitted. It is so frustrating because I started the process about 8 months ago. I did the 6 months, all of the testing, psych eval, you name it. My surgery was scheduled for November but my insurance at the time wouldn't cover it. It was rescheduled for December. At the end of November I was notified that the surgeons were leaving. Basically I was SOL. So I contacted another surgeon in my area and transferred. I told them the importance of having my surgery in December because I have a winter break from school and my husband has a week off from work. I was told that they couldn't schedule me until insurance officially approved me. How frustrating! I feel overwhelmed because I am not at 40 BMI and I only have high cholesterol and GERD. I'm expecting appeals. I'm nervous about being denied. Every thought one could have, I have had it. I'm chalking it up to my anxiety disorder but I think that many people go through this. Is anyone else going through this hell? I have BCBS IL. Has anyone dealt or is dealing with them? Needing some encouragement and prayers would help as well :(

Yes, I feel your frustration! I also have a BMI of 40, arthritis, patella femoral something or other ( bad knees) and recently been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. The last dx caused a stir because I have to switch from Sleeve to Bypass due to the acid. Still waiting on insurance and need to have this done in December for financial and employment ease. I'm anxiety racked... Haven't 100% researched the bypass and I had my mind set on the sleeve.. ;(

I felt the same way-I spent so much time researching the sleeve only to find out I shouldn't have it due to gastritis that showed up during the EGD. I think drs need to add a disclaimer during the wls seminars and early discussions warning you not to get excited about any one particular procedure until all your test are completed.I feel fine about the bypass after researching the facts and not just people's perception of the surgery.

I was encouraged for gastric sleeve initially and found out that it can worsen GERD so I decided that gastric bypass would be more suitable.

So I got a call last week saying that I had an abnormality in my EKG (mind you this was done a long time ago and my prior surgeon saw nothing) and I was told that I WOULDN'T need a clearance. My doctor's office said it was urgent. I called my weight loss surgeon's office today and I asked exactly what the issue was. Apparently I DO need a clearance. She was super snide with me and told me she had already told me what I needed to do and basically told me that I should have scheduled my appointment. I'm so fed up!

I hope that everyone gets their situations cleared up. What a difficult journey!