Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2014 Surgeries?

I'm scheduled for next Wednesday, the 15th. I'm not excited but nor am I nervous. For right now I feel calm & I'm keeping a positive outlook on how everything will go. I just signed up for this site so I'm still learning my way around :-). Good luck to everyone who hasnt had their surgery yet!

Edited by AuroraBorealis

I am going to have a hiatal hernia repaired when I get my RnY next Thurs, Jan 16th. I am very axnious about the hernia, fearful it will cause pain and bleeding that will frighten me.

I want to have the hiatal hernia repaired but I wish the operations weren't combined, even tho I know it makes total sense to do them together.

Anxiety.

I have a gerat case manager nurse who has been pleasant all along but in the past couple weeks, she has stood out, really greatly. I just have to say "anxiety" and she listens kindly, patiently and tells me 'everyone goes through this." Do they? Like my doc had forgotten she told me in Oct that I needed a hiatal hernia and it was not on the schedule for nxt week. I brought it up cause I have questions -- I don't quite understand what it is -- but when I described to my doc what happens to me sometimes, she rushed to her office to get the rest of my file, to see my endocoscopy results and she said "good thing you caught it, you definitely need the repair, I'll have the scheduling put it on." Then I checked with my case manager later to see that it was added. . . but I am anxious that the doc had overlooked it. If I hadn't brought it up at the pre-op, I would not have gotten the repair. So then I anxiously wonder: can I trust my surgeon who forgot my hernia? She was the one who saw it in the endoscopy -- I can't see that. I knew something was wrong cause something happens. . . .. . .it's gross so I won't describe it . . .

Nurse manager says it's normal jitters. Is it?

I had a hiatal hernia repaired...its not as bad as it sounds..the pain is really not so bad and didn't last long...you will do great..my.surgery is the 16th as well...GOOD LUCK

My surgery is Monday the 13th. I'm nervous because I have cheated here and there on my pre op diet. No judgement please! It's been hard having to feed my kids and not eat. I haven't went over bored just little stuff here and there. I was just wondering if anyone else cheated on their diet? I'm doing liquids only tomorrow and Sunday. That way I can clean my system out. I'm trying to keep myself busy and not think about it. Is anyone else nervous?

My surgery is Wednesday 1/15/14! I'm excited and nervous and scared!!!! I am having an open RNY and have been on my pre op diet since last week, Sunday I start my liquid diet. So far on the pre op diet I have lost 11 pounds. I am so ready to lose so much more. I am taking my tablet to the hospital with me so I will be on this app since they have free wi-fi! I am determined to get up and move and walk as much as I can while I am in the hospital, of course they make you anyway. I am going to try to be proactive and walk more than they tell me to though. Apparently, I will be in the hospital a minimum of 4 nights since I am having the open surgery instead of laproscopic surgery. I had a lap bad in 2006 and it had to be removed in an emergency surgery 4 days later because they perforated my stomach when it was placed, so they had to remove it and repair my stomach. So I went through all of that for nothing! Nothing meaning I didn't get to use the lap band as it was intended! So now here I am almost 8 years later, having the RNY! I had the lap band because I didn't want to get my insides rerouted! My sister had the sleeve in 11/2012 and has lost 110 pounds and I have the same surgeon. I am ready to be on the losers bench as everyone says!

Eroper6. I know all docs and hospitals do things differently but I am curious. first, sorry you are experiencing a relatively rare complication. Second, my question: do they keep you in the hospital until you can get liquids down? I sure hope so. What you describe seems painful and it would scare me. i'd want to be near nurses until things calmed down. Prayers and love rays to you.

Thank you for the prayers! I am feeling soooo much better today. I am still in the hospital and keeping down Water. Yesterday my surgeon told me he hates barium swallows for this surgery for exactly this reason. The barium couldn't get through because of the swelling and sat there and irritated my stomach. Finally, a little went down and between that and the vomiting, it seems to be all gone now! Phenergan helped a lot too! The good news is that I was never in that much pain, even with all the coughing and throwing up. My doctor told me only about 1/100 have the swelling I did so don't let this post scare you. The nurses are taking good care of me. Originally I was supposed to be in the hospital for 2 nights but last night was my 3rd. I hope to go home tonight. Good luck on your journey, you'll do awesome!

Start my pre op liquid diet on Sunday 1/12, RNY surgery is on 1/15. I am so scared!!!!!

Start my pre op liquid diet on Sunday 1/12, RNY surgery is on 1/15. I am so scared!!!!!

3 days of liquids, man, I wish I had your surgeon!!! I'm on day 12!! Good luck, my RNY is on the 16th.

Great! !!!!!! You'll be ok just pray

Tick tock . . 8:30 a.m. this Thursday my surgery begins. . .

Yesterday I went off my two week pre-op Protein Shake diet and 'binged'. I have to laugh at what is now a binge for me. I have already changed quite a lot about my eating. I've lost 100 pounds over the past ten years or so (up and down, up and down, always staying down a bit more than last time but at this rate I'll be 80 before I get to goal so I am having the surgery . . ). I eat a very careful diet.

Yesterday I ate a lot of food -- a lot for me. Nothing compared to my old standards when I weighed 330 pounds and thought nothing of eating most of a pizza or a whole jumbo San Francisco Mission burrito with the works (those puppies must have 3,000 calories!).

I ate some gluten free tortillas with some cooked, mashed and spiced pinto Beans, some healthy vegie salsa and a few slices of avocado -- all in all, a healthy meal. Post-surgery, months down the line when I can eat real food in small amounts, one of my healthy gluten-free taco-y things (not sure what to call what I made . . it wasn't a burrito, but was it a taco?) would make a perfectly reasonable meal.

I am not afraid of the surgery or of the challenges in the early recovery stage as my new stomach heals and the hiatal hernia repair hears (I guess that will add to my hurt!). I am afraid I will eat too much down the road when my new stomach is too small to handle it. I think I ate a lot -- a lot for me now a days -- because I know I won't be able to do it again. Today I am being unkind to myself, berating myself as if I had lost all control and gone crazy with food. I didn't, not really. I think I actually ate a normal amount of healthy food and it felt like a lot of food because I have been eating nothing but Protein Shakes and four ounces of Protein and a cup of greens for months.

I am not going to be going back for another surgery after losing then gaining back. I am glad folks that need to redo WLS are able to but I am 60 -- too old to let myselt get morbidly obese again once I lose the rest of my weight.

I guess I am anxious. Tick tock.

Congratulations to everyone who has had surgery so far in january. May the force with with you all in your recovery. And may you all reach your weight loss goals as soon as your bodies allow.
It's forever.

And I think there is a part of me that doesn't quite believe the surgery will help me lose.

Hello all! Had my RNY 2 days ago. Feeling pretty good. Not much pain except for the gas. I did have one small complication. Apparently my intestines are super swollen where they were sewn back together. Nothing is able to go all the way down so I continue to vomit. I'm still officially NPO. I was told this happens to 1/100 people and it just happens. Now we wait until the swelling relents so I can start on liquids. If it weren't for the vomiting I would be feeling really good. Good luck on all y'all's journeys!

Glad you are in good spirits despite the complication. Hope the swelling will calm down soon. Wishing you speedy healing and that everything from here in out goes smoothly!

I am going to have a hiatal hernia repaired when I get my RnY next Thurs, Jan 16th. I am very axnious about the hernia, fearful it will cause pain and bleeding that will frighten me.

I want to have the hiatal hernia repaired but I wish the operations weren't combined, even tho I know it makes total sense to do them together.

Anxiety.

I have a gerat case manager nurse who has been pleasant all along but in the past couple weeks, she has stood out, really greatly. I just have to say "anxiety" and she listens kindly, patiently and tells me 'everyone goes through this." Do they? Like my doc had forgotten she told me in Oct that I needed a hiatal hernia and it was not on the schedule for nxt week. I brought it up cause I have questions -- I don't quite understand what it is -- but when I described to my doc what happens to me sometimes, she rushed to her office to get the rest of my file, to see my endocoscopy results and she said "good thing you caught it, you definitely need the repair, I'll have the scheduling put it on." Then I checked with my case manager later to see that it was added. . . but I am anxious that the doc had overlooked it. If I hadn't brought it up at the pre-op, I would not have gotten the repair. So then I anxiously wonder: can I trust my surgeon who forgot my hernia? She was the one who saw it in the endoscopy -- I can't see that. I knew something was wrong cause something happens. . . .. . .it's gross so I won't describe it . . .

Nurse manager says it's normal jitters. Is it?

First I will say the jitters are normal, however, when I'm going through them they are magnified at least for me they are.

Surgeons are busy and even still must be reminded. I don't think your surgeon is careless, as I've met 3 on this journey and will say they always were in a hurry. Maybe it's because they have a heavy case load or (which I lean toward believing) that due to the nature of their work"time is of the essence" to them. In surgery time is calculated and accounted for, maybe it ingraines in their daily natures too.

We also need to be our own advocates and double check for our own sakes. You are being proactive in your care and always question and double check. We are all human and can overlook, miss and make mistakes, doesn't mean we are careless just perfectly imperfect humans.;-)

Wishing you well on your next segments of this journey. Just remember to take it a day at a time, write down your questions and concerns and continue to advocate for your health. You're doing great!

I'm scheduled for next Wednesday, the 15th. I'm not excited but nor am I nervous. For right now I feel calm & I'm keeping a positive outlook on how everything will go. I just signed up for this site so I'm still learning my way around :-). Good luck to everyone who hasnt had their surgery yet!

Love your profile name and pic, it explains your calm ;-) I'm 3 days out and have been using positive affirmations/mantras/prayers to get thru the nit sui great moments thus far. When I worry I turn to positivity and it has gotten me thru. Welcome and I look forward to following your journey! ;-)

My surgery is Monday the 13th. I'm nervous because I have cheated here and there on my pre op diet. No judgement please! It's been hard having to feed my kids and not eat. I haven't went over bored just little stuff here and there. I was just wondering if anyone else cheated on their diet? I'm doing liquids only tomorrow and Sunday. That way I can clean my system out. I'm trying to keep myself busy and not think about it. Is anyone else nervous?

I cheated and planned the times to be honest. I knew I would not make it thru the holidays if I didn't allow myself to participate. No judgment here that's for sure ;-) I had 4 weeks liquid diet and I cheated with small meals during the holidays. I still lost 21pounds and shrunk my liver. I'm not saying it was good for me to cheat but if I didn't I'd most likely have binged non-stop for days once I got to frustrated.

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and keeping a spot warm on the Loser's Bench for ya!

My surgery is Wednesday 1/15/14! I'm excited and nervous and scared!!!! I am having an open RNY and have been on my pre op diet since last week, Sunday I start my liquid diet. So far on the pre op diet I have lost 11 pounds. I am so ready to lose so much more. I am taking my tablet to the hospital with me so I will be on this app since they have free wi-fi! I am determined to get up and move and walk as much as I can while I am in the hospital, of course they make you anyway. I am going to try to be proactive and walk more than they tell me to though. Apparently, I will be in the hospital a minimum of 4 nights since I am having the open surgery instead of laproscopic surgery. I had a lap bad in 2006 and it had to be removed in an emergency surgery 4 days later because they perforated my stomach when it was placed, so they had to remove it and repair my stomach. So I went through all of that for nothing! Nothing meaning I didn't get to use the lap band as it was intended! So now here I am almost 8 years later, having the RNY! I had the lap band because I didn't want to get my insides rerouted! My sister had the sleeve in 11/2012 and has lost 110 pounds and I have the same surgeon. I am ready to be on the losers bench as everyone says!

I'm excited for you! You've got the right mindset and positive attitude! Your determination and desire for this are definitely signs of your future success!

Don't over do the walking as you will get exhausted faster than you expect. I'm sure you're going to do great!

Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery! You've got this!

Tick tock . . 8:30 a.m. this Thursday my surgery begins. . .

Yesterday I went off my two week pre-op Protein Shake diet and 'binged'. I have to laugh at what is now a binge for me. I have already changed quite a lot about my eating. I've lost 100 pounds over the past ten years or so (up and down, up and down, always staying down a bit more than last time but at this rate I'll be 80 before I get to goal so I am having the surgery . . ). I eat a very careful diet.

Yesterday I ate a lot of food -- a lot for me. Nothing compared to my old standards when I weighed 330 pounds and thought nothing of eating most of a pizza or a whole jumbo San Francisco Mission burrito with the works (those puppies must have 3,000 calories!).

I ate some gluten free tortillas with some cooked, mashed and spiced pinto Beans, some healthy vegie salsa and a few slices of avocado -- all in all, a healthy meal. Post-surgery, months down the line when I can eat real food in small amounts, one of my healthy gluten-free taco-y things (not sure what to call what I made . . it wasn't a burrito, but was it a taco?) would make a perfectly reasonable meal.

I am not afraid of the surgery or of the challenges in the early recovery stage as my new stomach heals and the hiatal hernia repair hears (I guess that will add to my hurt!). I am afraid I will eat too much down the road when my new stomach is too small to handle it. I think I ate a lot -- a lot for me now a days -- because I know I won't be able to do it again. Today I am being unkind to myself, berating myself as if I had lost all control and gone crazy with food. I didn't, not really. I think I actually ate a normal amount of healthy food and it felt like a lot of food because I have been eating nothing but Protein Shakes and four ounces of Protein and a cup of greens for months.

I am not going to be going back for another surgery after losing then gaining back. I am glad folks that need to redo WLS are able to but I am 60 -- too old to let myselt get morbidly obese again once I lose the rest of my weight.

I guess I am anxious. Tick tock.

Congratulations to everyone who has had surgery so far in january. May the force with with you all in your recovery. And may you all reach your weight loss goals as soon as your bodies allow.

It's forever.

And I think there is a part of me that doesn't quite believe the surgery will help me lose.

"Faith without works is dead." Dont lose faith my friend..we all fall short..I feel sorry and had a slice of pizza day 2 of my preop because it smelled sooooooo good...I best myself up a bit but got right back on track..believe me that will not hinder you chances of having surgery...you will do just fine..find some time to journal you're feelings now, so if and when you start feeling like this post op, you can go back and reference how normal those feelings are..I'm having surgery at 7:45 am on Thursday..WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!!!