Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help...I'm Falling Off The Wagon

I need help to STOP eating sweets and carbs..they have always been a weakness....it's been a year this month and I've lost 65 lbs. I don't know why these cravings have returned with a vengeance! I don't want to gains this weight back!!!!

Also, anybody else out there experience these lion like stomach rumbling noises!!!!!

Hi Kitydon. I'm 19 months post op and yes...the sweet tooth for me has come back hard. I've been doing alot of soul searching trying to figure out why. If there is some emotional trigger. For me I think it's stress. Stress over the holidays. Over the fear of failure and relapse. Over family. Work....everything. Whenever I get stressed, I'm reaching for something sweet.

I do not want to slip back to where I was, and it most certainly is possible. Anyone who's a year or more out knows it can all come back if you let it.

I suggest you look for reasons why you might be slipping. Triggers that might be pushing you to have those cravings. Whats more, understand that the more you give in, the harder it is to resist the next time....both mentally but also physiologically. Sugars produce cravings for more sugars. So while you're looking for your triggers, dig down deep and find your inner strength. The same strength you used to decide to have surgery to begin with. Double down on your committment until you get back on the right path.

Good luck.

To Butterthebean

Thank you for your response! You're absolutely right....I've just relocated and find myself alone during the holidays...the Stress is overwhelming!!!! I just went out and bought salads and veggies hoping that I will substitute those midnight snack cravings with something other than Cookies.

Thans again for your post!!!!

I'm only five months post op and a sugar addict. Up until the day before my surgery I had to have something sweet before bed, I. E. Cookies, ice cream, sweet Cereal. I also am a soda junkie. I am just now starting to crave sweets again but I find that if I have a few bites of fresh fruit it satisfied my sweet tooth.

Hang in there and keep plenty of fresh fruit on hand.

I am three weeks post op. I never thought before that I was a sugar addict, but I do now. All I think about is sweets.

I'm a sugar addict and started my diet eliminating sugar over 6 mos pre sleeve. What helped me was when I had a craving to eat a couple of really strong pickles instead ( I like claussen or dill). Once you get that taste in your mouth it pretty much kills the urge and you couldn't taste the sugary treat even if you ate it at that point, so it would be a disappointment.

Such a good idea about the pickles! Although I spent most of my life being addicted to pickles! When I was younger 8-15 my dad wouldn't buy pickles anymore because i would sit and eat a whole jar and even drink the juice. Yuck! Now I can't even eat a whole pickle. But i could see how that would curb your cravings. When I crave sweets I brush my teeth, the sort of sweet minty toothpaste leaves my mouth refreshing and I never want to eat after I brush my teeth!

I can totally relate! I can eat dill pickle sandwiches! I don't eat pickles with my burger. I eat a burger with my pickles!

Cold turkey is the only thing that works for me when I find myself back in the sugar/carb hamster wheel. Just cut it all out, suffer for three days and then I am back on an even keel.

I am convinced that sweets make me want more sweets and carbs make me want more carbs. I know there is science behind this but can't kick my brain into gear enough to articulate it. Once I start it is really like a hamster wheel for me, and I am running on it going nowhere fast!

The holidays are killer! After a few too many mistakes, I've realized you really have to make a plan of attack. If you know you will be home alone, what are ten things you can do besides pick up something sweet? I've always baked a ton during the holidays and loved it. I did it once this year and ate way too much of my sweets, so now I've been crafting new projects. Keeps me out of the kitchen to avoid a taste of this and a taste of that.

Maybe one day I can make it back to the kitchen but definitely not this year!

I'm still trying to decide if I do the Christmas baking or not. The thing is, there is not a single person in my household who *should* have it, and I know that unless I'm very careful about hiding it, it will get looted during the night. I may just make my cakes for the families I usually make them for, and call it a day.

I am finding it interesting how many of these seemingly innocuous traditions work their ways back into being issues for our weight loss.

I'm also very glad that so far the bariatric puddings aren't setting off cravings for more when I have them. It's just enough to help me feel like I get a little something without going overboard. And bonus…my family thinks that they must taste horrible (I have not told them otherwise) so they stay away from them.

As a former sugar addict I can totally relate! But I have been soo good since my RNY 9months ago.. I have not had a cookie, pie, sweet etc. unless you count s.f. Pudding!!! I think my success has come from total abstinence!!!! If I had given in and cheated I would have likely wanted more and more! I don't really get cravings for sweets, but yes sometimes especially right now during the holidays I feel left out. If I want a treat I eat fat free sugar free pudding!

Thank you all for your considerate suggestions! I have picked up two tips that I believe will help me:

1. Abstinence

2. Go back to sugar free (puddings, Desserts, etc) when I just have to have something!

I need to remember how much my stomach used to hurt when I ate too much sugar. I am only 10 pounds from my goal weight, and I know for sure that unhealthy snacking is holding me back. And No, the holidays haven't helped any since I did ALL the cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I ate more sweets than anyone else in the house!!

So thanks again for your support...and hopefully New Year 2014 will find me 10 lbs lighter!

Merry Christmas to All!

I'm a sugar addict and started my diet eliminating sugar over 6 mos pre sleeve. What helped me was when I had a craving to eat a couple of really strong pickles instead ( I like claussen or dill). Once you get that taste in your mouth it pretty much kills the urge and you couldn't taste the sugary treat even if you ate it at that point, so it would be a disappointment.

Smart tip!

Thanks for being honest!!!

I can totally relate!!!

I am 1 yr post-op, and my appetite has increased, and my sweet craving too! Plus it doesn't help that its the holidays, and food is everywhere!

Personally my weight goes up, and down 5 pounds or so. My Dr. wants me at 145, so if I go up past 150 I freak out ,and put myself in check!

The good thing is that you realize your cravings... Acknowledging this is key. We are human... we will make mistakes!

Put yourself in check! An occasional treat is ok! I like sugar-free popsicles, Jello & S/F pudding.

Weigh yourself, and set a weight gain limit. It's normal to go up & down a few pounds... know your bodys norm.

PS... Drink plenty of water!!!

Good Luck!!!