Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Weeks Out, Feeling Restricted On What I Can Eat

Well it's been over two weeks since the surgery, and I didn't want to be jumping the gun on this topic. I was moved to regular (non pureed) foods this past Monday as I have been able to get my Protein amount to the NUT satisfaction and keep liquids and food down. I am now feeling like any kind of food I try to eat that isn't protein, does not settle well. For example, the past few nights I have tried different things for dinner, several slices of turkey. I got heartburn almost immediately after eating it and of course my stomach starts to go into instant symphonic mode of noises. Last night, I thought I would try a little of the Special K Protein Cereal with some skim milk. By bite two I felt my stomach gurgling again as if to say stop eating that, and then the heartburn. I start to feel a little queasy from the instant fullness, and it's becoming annoying because it is keeping me from being able to eat a sufficient amount of non dairy protein (meat). I was able to successfully eat some condensed Lentil Soup Friday, very slowly as to not cause heartburn, yet days before I had vegetable beef and I was sick the entire night. I know it's only been two weeks, but why would my stomach go from being able to handle this stuff earlier in the week to me being afraid to try anything of the sort later on just a few days later? I was able to eat cut up boiled chicken fine Monday night, but the next day tried to make a small amount of grits to eat with sliced turkey, and I just couldn't handle it. Anything you might recommend that will help me get through the dinner meal without having to go back and rely on cottage cheese and cheese sticks???

You might be eating to fast. I would go back to full liquids give it a few days than mushy food. Every surgeon has different guidelines as to when to eat solids but I would listen to your body. Better to take a step back then to be in pain or have nausea.

I agree with mckally. Also, keep in mind you have a baby stomach. Lentils may be too rough right now. I'm 10 months out and although I can tolerate anything, if I eat cereal, grits, cream of wheat, whatever, my stomach still makes all kinds of gurgling noise. Take it slow. Best of luck.

its best to allow the insides to heal (and adhering to your dr's diet instructions) to be on the safe side...

just because one can eat something, doesnt mean they should.

eat slow, small bites..

It's sometimes best to backtrack to a previous stage like purée or full liquids rather than push yourself too far.

Go back a stage or two for a week. Then maybe test the waters...

Edited by AmandaRaeLeo

Thanks for the advice all!

Well it's been over two weeks since the surgery, and I didn't want to be jumping the gun on this topic. I was moved to regular (non pureed) foods this past Monday as I have been able to get my Protein amount to the NUT satisfaction and keep liquids and food down. I am now feeling like any kind of food I try to eat that isn't protein, does not settle well. For example, the past few nights I have tried different things for dinner, several slices of turkey. I got heartburn almost immediately after eating it and of course my stomach starts to go into instant symphonic mode of noises. Last night, I thought I would try a little of the Special K Protein cereal with some skim milk. By bite two I felt my stomach gurgling again as if to say stop eating that, and then the heartburn. I start to feel a little queasy from the instant fullness, and it's becoming annoying because it is keeping me from being able to eat a sufficient amount of non dairy protein (meat). I was able to successfully eat some condensed Lentil Soup Friday, very slowly as to not cause heartburn, yet days before I had vegetable beef and I was sick the entire night. I know it's only been two weeks, but why would my stomach go from being able to handle this stuff earlier in the week to me being afraid to try anything of the sort later on just a few days later? I was able to eat cut up boiled chicken fine Monday night, but the next day tried to make a small amount of grits to eat with sliced turkey, and I just couldn't handle it. Anything you might recommend that will help me get through the dinner meal without having to go back and rely on cottage cheese and cheese sticks???

Try making sure your protein is juicy and not dry. Also, instead of cereal and grits try having protein and then a couple of bites or so of soft veggies like zucchini, squash, broccoli, asparagus. You can add 2% shredded cheeses to the veggies and cook them in chicken or vegetable broth.

Keep in mind at 2 weeks I was not yet eating! My progression was full liquids for 3 weeks, then very thin puréed food for a week, then 1 week of purée, then very soft for 2 weeks etc. I did not attempt to eat what you are eating until 6 weeks out. I did not experience any problems. I would say take it easy on your new stomach. Discomfort is a signal that you need to ease up! The eating will come, believe me!

OK, one more hint. At this stage go slow. Add ONE new thing at a meal, and if it does not feel good, put that aside for a month before you try it again. If it DOES work, just use that new food for 2 or 3 days before you add the next new thing.

Trust me, time WILL fly on by, and when your stomach is FULLY healed (by 6 months) you will possibly be able to eat most foods.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT: This is the time to teach yourself that food is just fuel. That it is NOT important to your success or your happiness. Try to not make your food cravings important, if you can. Remember, the real work will begin when you can eat anything BUT MUST CHOOSE NOT TOO! Control your head!

Keep in mind at 2 weeks I was not yet eating! My progression was full liquids for 3 weeks, then very thin puréed food for a week, then 1 week of purée, then very soft for 2 weeks etc. I did not attempt to eat what you are eating until 6 weeks out. I did not experience any problems. I would say take it easy on your new stomach. Discomfort is a signal that you need to ease up! The eating will come, believe me!

Although I am pre-op, this is what I was told about my post-op progression too. I think you're moving a bit too fast too.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT: This is the time to teach yourself that food is just fuel. That it is NOT important to your success or your happiness. Try to not make your food cravings important, if you can. Remember, the real work will begin when you can eat anything BUT MUST CHOOSE NOT TOO! Control your head!

Absolutely!! This is very true. Take this time to learn about yourself and fix whatever you need to. It's the beginning of your new life.