Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills Tight And Soreness Whats Wrong Need Advice

So hello everyone. I wanted to tell my story quickly and get some advice. So I have had band for about four years. Lost a lot of weight right away and was doing fairly well up to about a year ago. I got overfilled and had some taken out and the. Filled again. Though this time when I got tight I could eat a lot before really feeling any restriction. I thought my pouch had stretched but I mean I could eat a lot and started to gain weight. So I went to my doc and they took all my Fluid out. I was left open for six weeks and then started getting fills again. I am tighter now, though not horribly tight though I feel a bit uncomfortable where band would be. Kind of achy, which is new to ne, though I am not sure if its be sues I was just filled and had to get a little out because if slight o refill and now its just sore. I still don't Ave great restriction. Though I can feel it at least and though I am trying not to eat through the retrtciion its almost to easy. Also I gained forty pounds while off fluid out. Yep I said forty pounds. Holy he'll in like three months. Anyone have any suggestions what I might be going through? What's his pain from anyone get achy after a fill?

It is not unusual to be sore immediately after a fill. Hang in there and give the area time to heal again.

try and remember that your band isn't there to tell you that you are full. you should be eating a restricted amount of food and than stop eating. keep in mind no more than a cup full of food primarily Protein 3 times a day. by doing this you will feel satisfied at meal times and satisfied between meals. if you are not, than a fill is needed. but to not learn how to eat with a band means a unsuccessful outcome. you will always be hungry or you will always be over filled. good luck with your band.

What kind of pain are you talking about? Is it at the site of teh port, or is it other pain? If it is at the site of the port, it could be just reaction from teh fill. If you are having general pain, you should check with you physican or surgeon. Best wishes, karen

Are you saying you band is sore??? You can feel it ?????

Without actually in the act of swallowing something ???

I have experienced pain if I swallow something a little too large, or too much at one time....(learned the hard way)

I have experienced pain when my pouch stretches a little, again from over filling it too fast with too much....even gulping Water will stretch my pouch somewhat...

But I have never felt anything while just sitting at rest.....if you are, then I would call your Dr. . ASAP.....pain is the body's way of signaling that something is not normal....and if you cannot identify what the cause is, then it is a cause to inform your Dr.

Edited by B-52

HI all, thanks for responding. Yeah, I can feel it, kind of like a dull pain, its not so bad today, so I am wondering if its just from the fill. I like the comment about overfilled or always hungry. I think when I first got the band I used it as a restriction or measurement, because if I ate to much, it really really hurt, now if I eat to m uch, I puke. Which isn't probably a good thing. So I am thinking I probably have a good fill but just have to relearn to eat less and ..... Oh crap that's why I got the band,lol. I am starting therapy to see if I can find my underlying issues with food, I remember when I first went to the doc I had to go for a therapy session, It was kind of a joke, I am sure I made most of the stuff we talked about up, just to pass. So I am going to be honest with myself and therapist and see if there is a underlying issue that needs to be worked on and then hey, maybe I can get control of this monster.

I would also guess that maybe you are still adjusting from your fill Pablo, and GOOD FOR YOU for taking the initiative to see a therapist! I really think everyone with a band or any WLS should also see a therapist. We all got this way for a reason, and it's not usually just because we like to eat!

Good on you for trying to sort out your demons!

Hi Pablo, I started seeing a therapist this summer for the same reason -- to really examine those food issues once and for all. It's not like I hadn't done that before on my own -- I'm 52 so I've read a lot of books, journaled, etc. But this time it felt different because I'd made this big decision to be banded and get healthy no matter what it takes. I feel sure I can do it now because of the band and that makes all the difference. I'm not suffering from the low self esteem associated with all those failed attempts dieting because I have admitted that I could not do it. And that's okay. And now I know there are lots and lots of others who are the same way -- this forum has really helped me with that.

I think anxiety played a big part in my eating. I would use food to quell an underlying current of nervous worry running throughout my day. The same mindfulness techniques I'm using now to listen to my body and my band help me identify what is stressing me out and causing me to want to eat. Some is habit or reward, but the root is anxiety and stress. I'm working to be calmer -- using hypnotherapy and mindfulness techniques for that, breathing, etc. Mainly it's just noticing. I notice and the feeling dissipates immediately. The stuff that was worrying me -- work, money, etc. isn't even that big of a deal. I was letting the small stuff rattle me and then contributing my own stress in the form of bad food choices, caffeine, sugar, etc.

It sounds like you're in a great place right now -- the fills and now the behavior modification issues. You're doing beautifully. So glad you posted. It really helps me to keep on this. Best wishes!

Hi Pablo and everyone

I'm new to the forum but had my surgery in 2008. I had 1cc defill in August last yr due to too tight a band, usual probs associated and all has been well. Gall bladder and blood tests good, now on lanzoprazole on recommendation from my BN. Had .5cc put back in last Wednesday and now I'm experiencing the same ache and tenderness Pablo describes, am I just settling still? I don't want to go back to pre august symptoms or ruin my band. Part of me thinks I'm being over panicky!

Any advice please?

HI all, thanks for responding. Yeah, I can feel it, kind of like a dull pain, its not so bad today, so I am wondering if its just from the fill. I like the comment about overfilled or always hungry. I think when I first got the band I used it as a restriction or measurement, because if I ate to much, it really really hurt, now if I eat to m uch, I puke. Which isn't probably a good thing. So I am thinking I probably have a good fill but just have to relearn to eat less and ..... Oh crap that's why I got the band,lol. I am starting therapy to see if I can find my underlying issues with food, I remember when I first went to the doc I had to go for a therapy session, It was kind of a joke, I am sure I made most of the stuff we talked about up, just to pass. So I am going to be honest with myself and therapist and see if there is a underlying issue that needs to be worked on and then hey, maybe I can get control of this monster.

I'm over a month post op and I on occasion feel the band at my belly, not the port. I can't associate it with overeating, fullness, or fills (as I'll get my first fill tomorrow). It's not painful as in needing meds but that I can feel the band.

My guess is after 6 weeks of open and now Fluid in the band, it may put pressure on your stomach of some sort.

I'd at least call and tell them and see what the doctor says.