Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sooo... Tmi But Has Anyone Ever Had An Infected Belly Button?

I never in my life have, until now.

Apparently, and please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be common among folks who lose a lot of weight quickly.

I'm actually bleeding from my belly button. The area around it is a little red but there isn't much discomfort. The discharge doesn't smell horrible so I don't think the infection is that bad. I've been cleaning it out multiple times a day. I don't have any fever or even as much discharge today that I had 2 days ago which is why I haven't been to see a doctor. Plus my doctor cannot work with my work schedule right now which is a little annoying.

Anyways, if you've ever had an infected belly button... how did you get rid of it?

I never in my life have, until now.

Apparently, and please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be common among folks who lose a lot of weight quickly.

I'm actually bleeding from my belly button. The area around it is a little red but there isn't much discomfort. The discharge doesn't smell horrible so I don't think the infection is that bad. I've been cleaning it out multiple times a day. I don't have any fever or even as much discharge today that I had 2 days ago which is why I haven't been to see a doctor. Plus my doctor cannot work with my work schedule right now which is a little annoying.

Anyways, if you've ever had an infected belly button... how did you get rid of it?

Um... I would at least go to a walk in clinic... that doesn't seem normal. Good luck

I've never had problems before surgery, but have had problems after. I'm pretty sure mine is a yeast infection. If I start cleaning it out and drying it out it gets worse for me. My solution is weird, but at the first onset I put a little monistat on it. I usually only have to use it one or two times and it clears it up. Since you've had surgery recently, I would get the doctor to look at it.

I had a infection in my belly button. Go buy hibiclens in the pharmacy and triple antibiotic+pain relief ointment and alcohol and pad. When you wash use the hibiclens on your stomache and belly button also try using antibacterial soap on your whole body like dial or safeguard. Then when you are done dry the area well and then use alcohol on a cotton swab, let that dry well and peut some ointment on. It will get better.

I had a infection in my belly button. Go buy hibiclens in the pharmacy and triple antibiotic+pain relief ointment and alcohol and pad. When you wash use the hibiclens on your stomache and belly button also try using antibacterial soap on your whole body like dial or safeguard. Then when you are done dry the area well and then use alcohol on a cotton swab, let that dry well and peut some ointment on. It will get better.

Thank you. I have some hibiclens left over from my shower the morning before surgury. I'll start using that and the rest of the stuff you mentioned. Thankful I have all that stuff now. How long does it take to clear up on average?

This is gross, but it happened to my mom after surgery. It may be fungal. After you shower with the hibicleanse, dry with a towel and even a hair dryer if you have to, to make sure it's dry. Then spray athletes foot spray or athletes foot cream. Generic is fine and inexpensive. That way you don't have to go and buy monistat, lol

Thank you. I have some hibiclens left over from my shower the morning before surgury. I'll start using that and the rest of the stuff you mentioned. Thankful I have all that stuff now. How long does it take to clear up on average?

mine took about 2 weeks and then I had a appointment with my surgeon and she also gave me bactriban, and a antibiotic to make sure it did not come back. As long as the discharge does not smell you will be ok taking care of it yourself. If it starts to smell you will need a script, and also it is true make sure you dry your belly first and then get a afresh towel. Good luck.

Per my dermatologist, vinegar is also good for fungal infections. Just once or twice a week.

I just called my surgeon and he called me in an antibiotic

I just called my surgeon and he called me in an antibiotic

I did that but both my surgeon and my PCP wouldn't call me in an antibiotic unless I came into see them. This really bugged me because I explained to them both that taking the time off work to come see them is next to impossible right now in December. It bothered me because they just let me go without offering any alternative or option. But my surgeons office sure didn't hesitate to remind me that I still owed them $112 after THOUSANDS have been paid out to them by myself and insurance. And all I needed was antibiotics.

Very annoying.

Per my dermatologist, vinegar is also good for fungal infections. Just once or twice a week.

It seems to be clearing up a bit now but I am going to start doing this. Just in case.

mine took about 2 weeks and then I had a appointment with my surgeon and she also gave me bactriban, and a antibiotic to make sure it did not come back. As long as the discharge does not smell you will be ok taking care of it yourself. If it starts to smell you will need a script, and also it is true make sure you dry your belly first and then get a afresh towel. Good luck.

No it doesn't smell hardly at all like a normal infection does. I've been cleaning it out with peroxide for the last few days a few times a day. The redness has gone down and the bleeding and discharge have just about stopped. I didn't have any issues yesterday so hopefully today will be better.

I've had belly button problems over the last month or so. Super itchy, red, smelly. Just yuck. After looking around online, fungal infection seemed to be the most likely culprit. First thing I tried was some athletes foot spray I had laying around. Ouch! The amount of alcohol in it + broken skin was not a very pleasant combo. Picked up some athletes foot cream. A little dab delivered via q-tip 2-3 times did the trick. I'm still treating it, but no longer have any symptoms. Just trying to make sure it's totally gone.

I read this post prior to my surgery which was in June 2014, Friday night just after my 7 month-iversary I noticed my belly button was itchy, after checking it out I found it was an itchy red mess. Luckily I have all of the standard yeast skin meds from before my surgery, so I was able to treat it immediately. Today it is much better. I used to get that same itchy red in skin folds prior to surgery, but I haven't had any literally since surgery, or my 10 day liquid pre-surgery diet, so I really thought I was past yeast skin issues. I thought that it was because of my drastic decrease in sugar consumption. I have recently been testing the addition of complex carbs to my diet, so I might dial that back a bit!