Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had chronic lower back and neck pain for a good solid 10+ years that has gotten more severe with time. This is the MAIN reason that I made the decision to have weight loss surgery. I have been to numerous doctors who have ruled out MS, Miosthena Gravis, Lyme Disease, neurological disorders, degenerative disc, slipped disc, etc. The condition that I was finally diagnosed with a few years ago that made some kind of sense to me was spinal nerve damage. Whose nerves wouldn't be damaged it they were carrying around 230 (give or take a few) on a 5'2" frame??? I literally live in pain. Walking is a mind over matter thing, as my legs are so weak that I must be careful of falling (if I step on a pebble, it could knock me off balance). I cannot go shopping unless I have something to hold on to (i.e. shopping cart). Sitting down and getting up from a chair is a chore at best. You get the picture? After all of these years of frustration, dealing with doctors, being diagnosed and mis-diagnosed, really with no one pinpointing what the real problem is, I came across a physical therapist online, Rick Olderman. He made the following statement and described EXACTLY what's going on with my body.

"Weight loss can help relieve back pain, especially if you carry weight in your tummy area. This is because, when the waist becomes large, it creates a drag on the spine, pulling it forward into an excessively arched position (increased spinal extension). This arching contributes to spinal compression affecting the vertebrae, disks, and nerve roots exiting the spine. Losing weight, especially when it comes off the stomach, reduces the excessive extension of the spine and unloads these tissues thereby reducing pain. Increased weight also contributes to back pain because the leg muscles, not being strong enough to carry the body, become over worked. This leads to walking with extended or locked knees instead of using leg muscles. Locked knees contribute to tilting the pelvis forward. The spine then arches backward to offset this tilt, again leading to excessive spinal compression and pain. As you lose weight, the legs are more able to carry your weight and spend more time using their muscles--not locking the knees. This allows the pelvis to resume its natural position thereby allowing the spine to also return to a normal curve with less pain."

FINALLY, I now know that I'm not going crazy. Everyone (family and friends) constantly putting their two cents in and telling me I need to do this or that, and even looking at me side eyed like there's nothing wrong with me and I'm just being dramatic. In addition to spinal issues, I also have other co-morbidities - high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, asthma and acid reflux. I am more determined than ever to see this process through because losing the excess weight is the first steps for me to get my life back - feel better and become more active.

Anyone else dealing with back or joint issues and can feel my pain (literally)?

Sandee, I had the same issue with back pain. I had the MRIs and the blood work done to rule out SLE and other autoimmune disorders. My back would "go out" frequently and I would not be able to stand up straight. my one hip would literally be higher than the other, I would get leg pain, and sometimes even have less bladder control. I definitely had some sort of disc involvement, but no one ever caught it or did anything medically for me. Ice, rest, chiropractic and acupuncture became my treatments of choice.

I was also uncoordinated. It seems like I would be catching my balance frequently. I was an apple shape woman, so much of my extra weight was in my abdominal area, but I had good size thighs and arms and when I started to lose, it went from everywhere. Be sure to measure yourself well before surgery, you will be surprised where the inches fall off.

I had surgery in August of this year and my back is much better. I just don't have the aches and pains, I can run circles around my hubbie and don't have to lean on the shopping cart to get through the store anymore. I hope the sleeve helps you as much as it has helped me. I feel very fortunate to have been able to do this for myself and my family.

Thank Seagirl! I sometimes get very depressed because I feel like I'm the only person in the world who is going through this. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone and that there is HOPE and a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone else dealing with back or joint issues

Sandee

i hear you loud and clear!!!

you are most definitely not alone w/your situation

many, many, many people also suffer with aches and pains/back et al :angry:

I was "sinking" ;) in the same boat with you

things do get better since you gradually take off lbs :)

2 years post op (goal) my joints have definitely improved

good luck w/insurance

kathy

@SandeeD....Just saw your post and also have the lower back pain that cripples me on some days. Also, my right knee has a tendency to lock up sometimes and scared me one day when it happened on the stairs. So I feel your pain. I honestly can't wait to have my surgery which is scheduled for March 4th. Good Luck to you!!

Thanks Proudgrammy and Patty. It hurts my heart to see my 70 year old mother get around better than I can, I just want to be able to keep up and give back that handicap placard.

I had back problem for yrs.... Doctor after doctor telling me nothing....... Until one day my lower half went numb...... I was taken into surgery 2 hrs after going to ER. When I woke up mind u it was Xmas eve 200am, the neuro surgeon was sitting next to me....... He knew when I woke up mylife would be change forever so he wanted to tell me himself..... He thought I was going to wake up paralyzed from waist down...... He said the jelly has been leaking out slowly out of my discs which was strangling my nerves... If ur looking for good news out of this is that I can walk but I'm 100% numbed from waist down and now I'm I self cath myself to go to washroom.... This journey has been a rough one... When the doctor suggested the sleeve... He told me less weight will help with my pain so I had the surgery 11/20/13 and it's been great.. I'm done 22lbs......... But my issue that I'm trying to deal with is that I have no feeling ever need to go to washroom and now I have no feeling of hunger either..... Don't know how to deal with this except I'm thankful I walk

Thanks Proudgrammy and Patty. It hurts my heart to see my 70 year old mother get around better than I can, I just want to be able to keep up and give back that handicap placard.

sandee,

i had so much joint pain as well. my whole body was literally just sore all the time. my hips would hurt even sitting in a chair. i had nearly 260lbs on a 5'3 frame so i can relate. i had a hard time getting up out of chairs and bed. i also had alot of pain in my left food, everytime i would get to a standing position the first few steps would be excruciating.

It WILL get better. with the 28lbs that i lost since my sleeve, my foot pain is already gone! it really makes a difference!

Yes, my knee. And the discomfort is MUCH better after losing 100 pounds. (with another 100 to go)