Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Keep Accidentally Over-Eating!

It's weird, I'll be eating normally, and I'll feel fine, and then all of a sudden *BAM*, full to the point of pain.

It doesn't help that I haven't quite worked out how much I should eat yet, and tend to put more food on my plate than I should. I don't try to finish the plate, I just try to eat till I feel full. But the problem is I don't feel full, I'll just be eating and then all of a sudden ohgodpain.

I'll admit I sometimes eat a little faster than I should when I'm not paying attention, but it happens even when I chew till my jaw hurts. What can I dooooo?

Measure out your food. I started at 3oz on a scale. Once you know your body a little better you can add more food. Slow down when you eat don't drink while eating you'll be ok

When I was at your stage I ate 1/4 a cup for a meal. Later I moved to 1/2 cup. If you have a NUT ask them to advise you on the amount you should eat.

I agree with the above! I measure everything even 6.5 months out. Use a baby spoon and cocktail fork to force smaller bites and take a walk around the room between bites. Allow your body to register the full feeling by taking 30 minutes to eat your 1/4 cup. You'll learn.

As a fattie, I was used to hovering my food. Learning to go slow was a long painful process and I still suck at it at times, but my body quickly reminds me. Eat consciously.

I found little cups from the dollar tree that are exactly 1/2 cup portions. I will use that for yogurts or cottage cheese...per my nut. For 2 oz portions of Protein I use a small weight scale. I've portioned meat out in baggies so I just grab it and move on.

If I don't do these few things, I run into the same thing.

Oh and I also have the Eat Slower app to slow me down too. It's available on both apple apple and android for free.

Edited by gomekast

I am 9 days out, I measure my Protein in 1/4 cup and then add any mash vegg or cottage cheese to make it moist...which adds about a TBLS extra of food. I hardly ever finish it all, as soon as I think my limit is getting close I give it 5 minutes and decide from there. If I get a bit hungry in between meals I sneak a bit of yogurt or a quick drink from my Protein shake I have in the fridge to take a drink with my Vitamins.

Hope this helps. Measuring is key...start small add what you need.

I guess I didn't realize that with the sleeve you still have to eat slow and watch the portions.....

I was suppose to have the by-pass but the Dr. couldn't do it and ended up with the sleeve....so thought I could still eat my normal bites and I'm not really a fast eater, but I haven't really slowed down.

I have been having trouble with nausea since my surgery Sept 27th....on every stage....was eating smaller bites and not much so just figured it is a part of the journey....

I don't eat much during the day because I still get so nauseated. Will have to make sure I'm watching more portions and eating slower....

Kathy

Reflux can make you feel "hungry" (or pain), and is more common with sleeve than bypass, so dr may not have mentioned it to you (?). Might be worth checking out if it could be related to that.

And definitely small bites, slow eating - teaspoon and cocktail fork, half or quarter cup bowl and small plate really help. Also, drink before but not during or after meal for a good while. I find dense foods the easiest to "overeat" on - I've only once had real pain and that was a couple of days ago (in over 7 months). That was baked Beans that I was gobbling down while walking around, in a hurry to get out and with one eye on the evening news. Recipe for disaster!

Yes on the smaller fork, spoon, scale all yes. But don't forget to put down the fork. I downloaded an app for my I phone call eat slow pro. It makes you wait 1 minute between bites. I started doing this and I always can tell when I get full. It was the key to my weight loss success. I will be 5 months out on the 24th of December and I have lost 86 pounds. Believe me all they said is true but try this app also. Remember to turn off the TV and sit at the table and eat also. Good Luck.

All great advice. You probably never need to attempt to eat more than 1/2 cup at a sitting, even quite a way out. Some people can manage more but not many women, apparently. When in doubt, under-estimate. Remember to measure for volume, not just weight. It takes a lot of popcorn to be 3 ounces, but you still shouldn't have 3 cups or so of popcorn.

Edited by mistysj