Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have the restaurant card?

I disagree about a restaurant loosing the tip over someone having a card,I am more inclined to leave a tip IF I get service when a member of the wait staff looks me over with distaine and has a pre conceived notion they won't get a tip anyway...You know what they get pennies...This says volumes about the attitude they have.But I am not afraid to give a great tip if they are friendly and helpful, even if they won't except my card if they are polite to me..they have done what THEY can do. I might find a nice way to speak to the manager. But if we get angry they ALL will say NO WAY !!!! I know it's easy to get upset but I think some of them really don't understand they may think we are just cheap or want something for nothing, Prove to them you are just asking for some consideration and that they can receive the best advertising in the world...word of mouth and that can MAKE or BREAK any business out there!

I can see both sides. I've worked in food service, and I'm waiting to be banded. Having worked in food service, I'm always a generous tipper. I can understand the extra time it takes to make a special dish. After LBS, I will probably go to the same restaurants I've been to before. If a restaurant doesn't allow the smaller portion dish, I won't make a stink, I'll just get a go box. I'm not telling many people about my LBS, so I wouldnt want to make a scene. I could see possibly where a card might be a discreet way to request a smaller portion.

There is a sample card on the "Obesity Help Magazine" website.

I can't say why a specific restaurant wouldn't let you order off the kid's menu-but very few kid's menus are attractive. Ours consists of quesadillas, chicken strips, etc. Brown food, I call it.

I think it's because they price it as a loss leader. They assume families won't go out to eat as much if kids have to order from the adult menu, eating food their palette may not enjoy and paying an adult price to waste half of it and whine about how horrible it is.

However, if they don't accommodate a banded patient, it's the same thing. The family won't go out to eat as much if it's an unpleasant experience for one of the members of the family.

Or hey, we'll be happy to do a special plate for you; steamed veg, broiled fish with a light sauce, plain chicken, etc. But it will be an adult price.

But we're not asking for a special dish. We're asking you to make the same dishes you always make only at half size and give us a bit of a break on the price.

I've got to make a profit to survive, and I can't do it on demi-portions.

Then price them so you can. I don't think most of us want to pay half price for half the food. Most people know that there are fixed costs to any meal no matter how few or cheap the ingredients.

Many restaurants already make a smaller version of their dinner dishes for lunch and charge slightly less. Why can't they do that at dinner time for a few people who have a medical need? Or let people order off the kids menu or the seniors menu that they already have?

Most of the time, the reason isn't really about profit and staying in business. It's about not being flexible.

2. Olive Garden

This was the best, I was already in a bad mood, same old same old, resturaunt policy wouldn't allow me to order from the kids menu, then when I said I would just share with my wife, they said that wasn't acceptable either, I would have to order a entree even after I pulled my shirt up to show the manager my scars.

What the hell? They wouldn't let you share a plate? That's insanity!!!!

or you need anger management classes.

That is insanity that they wouldn't let you split an entree! I understand if you were at a buffet, but at Olive Garden? Unless you wanted salad or Soup, too. Even then, they could charge you for the garden salad.< /p>

What's a dadeetdadeet? Are you trying to do the Carlos Mencia dee dee dee?

And $8.95 for a scoop of chicken salad? Nuts!!! But if you think about it...what's in thier chicken salad sandwich, an ice cream scoop of chicken salad, some lettuce and two slices of bread. We should all be in an uproar that two slices of bread and a piece of lettuce is soooo expensive!

I won't use the Restaurant Card, either. I get a box to go or at a buffet, I just think of the added cost as my entertainment dollar for the evening. I also consider how many years I ate plate after plate after plate MORE than getting my $ worth at buffets, now it's payback.

However, if I am at a place that doesn't have any band friendly food (that I didn't choose to go to, that is), I will ask what they can do for me like; in the case of Einstein's chicken salad. I don't want the bread, can't eat the bread, don't want the lettuce, either, can't you just sell me the chicken salad for say, $6? (Even that's a rip off, and that stuff is full of fat.)

Folks, the kids menu is there to bring the parents in. If you're an adult I think you need to order off the adult menu. If you can't eat it all, take it home and eat it later. If a restaurant DOES accommodate you, then reward them with more visits, big tips, recommend to full ordering friends, etc. But if a resto doesn't accommodate you, just accept it and move on.

Though making a scene in a restaurant might alone qualify you for a child's meal :smile2:

I agree faithmd, it is ridiculous! I have a friend who has struggled with his weight for years and is a very large man. One time a few of us decided to eat at one of those all you can eat buffets (pre-band). I'll never forget the girl behind the counter turning to a co-worker and commenting on how they would have to really fill the bar up. They both then proceeded to turn to him with disgusted looks on their faces. I was so glad he didn't hear or see them because I know it would have killed him. I don't know if anyone else noticed but I did and it hurt. I know that I tend to be more sensitive to things like this because I am overweight but that is completely uncalled for!

Niecyrenee - this reminded me of a time in McD's that my mother tells. She had lost a lot of weight and was "normal size". A very large woman walked through the door and the two kids behind the counter said to each other, "Here comes a large order." My mother gave them an evil look, but didn't say anything.

Just makes me think what is and has been said about me. All you can eat buffets were my fav - preband, of course. :smile2:

To answer the OP - I have the card, but haven't used it. I either don't like anything on the kids menu, or can order w/out having to explain it.

Or, like others my bf will eat it later. It's gotten to the point where he won't order much and I'll say, "Aren't you hungry?" He just smiles and says, "Yes. But I plan on eating yours later." :tongue2:

And btw, I'm still new to this. But I've just been ordering Soup and then picking off my husband's plate to go with it. I really don't see the need to cause a big scene, and none of our favorite places are going to give me any trouble.

I don't have the card, but I've been very lucky. Went to a Breakfast buffet on Sunday and was able to order the child's buffet. Only ate about 3 bites so the waiter, a friend, didn't even charge me.

Monday went to a sandwich shop and ordered just a scoop of chicken salad... was charged $3 and nothing was said. Took 1/2 the scoop home. I will return often because this shop is a small family owned shop and their prices are fair.

I don't always want to order a huge meal if all I can eat is 3-4 bites. I don't want to pay a lot of money for the privilege of eating leftovers all week. However, I do try to order things I know will work with me and focus on the ala carte or Soups and sides to get me through.

I am going to a family meal at BD's Mongolian BBQ next week... I am hoping they will let me order from the children's menu rather than the adults as I'm sure I will be unable to eat even a small portion of an adult sized meal. If not, I'll be fine, but I know that I will not return to eat there often.

I don't know if I'll ever use the card.

We have a 21 month old daughter and we hardly ever order off the kids menu for her. Most of it's pretty awful and she wouldn't eat it anyway. We go a la cart for her or get a little plate and she eats off of our plates, which she prefers anyway. She always has to have what we're having {in her mind}.

In our small town we won't get any hassles b/c I already change everything I order now anyway, or go a la cart depending on my mood... and they know us. I was on WW for a good while and was constantly getting things added or removed from whatever I was ordering. I, too was a waitress for a while and I tip well if deserved. I don't have a problem asking for what I need. Most are fine to accommodate if they can.

I never understand people like the... um... gentleman... {for lack of a better term} above. I always did the best I could for people within what was allowed me as an employee. I have never understood the concept of going "off" on someone who has no control over what is happening in the first place. Kind of like shooting the messenger. And destroying the place or purposefully making a huge mess accomplishes nothing except to say, in front of everyone, that you are backwards, uncouth and an idiot.

i find this thread SO interesting! i haven't been banded yet but during some of my "dieting phases" i've ordered off the kid's menu without showing any kind of card.

if a person wants to eat smaller portions why should they be made to order a full meal?

BUT, i plan on getting a card... just in case!

I have the card, and use it once a month at a buffet place we go to---our entire extended family meets once a month for Breakfast. They charge me for a kids portion. I use it there. I do not eat more than a child of 9-12 yrs. No one is making my meal. It is on a buffet, I get up and get what I want. I do eat less than an average adult.

Most places DH and I go now, we will order some sort of appetizer, or an extra salad, and then we share. I have also been told if I am sharing a meal I have to pay for the extra plate....fine so we can share a plate this time, and next time I will go elsewhere.

I understand the restaurant business has to make a profit as well. But I make the decision on how to spend my $$$ and whether I will go back again, and what I tell people. I DO tell people! Good and bad.

Most places do not have an issue with us sharing. Like the above poster, Olive Garden did it to us. There were 7 of us, and we went in, and chose 5 Entrees, and we ordered 2 appetizers, and were all going to make a shared meal, they refused....said they had to have as many Entrees ordered as there were people per table. So we left!!!

Kat

BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!

I've used the card and I've been hassled about it so I make a big stinkin scene.

1. Einstein Bro's Bagels

I explained my surgery to the guy at one end of the line my requests, he agreed so I orderd a scoop of chicken salad and a cup of chicken Soup. The girl at the other end tried to charge me 8.95 for a chicken salad sandwich. I said no, I just got a scoop of the salad, not the entire sandwhich. After some dadeetdadeet moments and me raising my voice saying "YOUR TRYING TO RIP ME OFF, I'M NOT PAYING 8.95 FOR A ICE CREAM SCOOP OF CHICKEN SALAD" another dadeetdadeet came over and settled my bill for me.

2. Olive Garden

This was the best, I was already in a bad mood, same old same old, resturaunt policy wouldn't allow me to order from the kids menu, then when I said I would just share with my wife, they said that wasn't acceptable either, I would have to order a entree even after I pulled my shirt up to show the manager my scars. So I ate what I could then accidentially dropped the rest of my entree all over the floor. I should have gone and pee'ed all over the bathroom floor too.

I'm not takin it anymore. RISE UP AND FIGHT THE POWER! BANDSTERS UNITE, WREAK HAVOC AND CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE

People like you make us all look like idiots.

Someday someone is going to pee in your Soup and quite frankly, you'll deserve it.

I've kept my LB surgery mostly to myself adn immediate family. I would feel awkward showing a card to the waitress. It's hard enough now to convince them I "don't" want anything to drink. I have no desire to order off the kids menu, spaghetti, chix tenders and hamburgers are not my thing.

I usually order salmon or tilapia (fish..yum-o)!and get steamed veggies.

Yes, these meals usually cost around $13-$15...but I can get at least 3 meals out of it.

JMO