Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have the restaurant card?

I was just wondering how many of you were given a card to present at restaurants asking them to allow you to order off the kids menu, or get a half-portion. It explains that you have had a surgery that has permanently altered your stomach to only allow you to eat 2-3 ounces of food at a time(which is a bit of a stretch, if you ask me--I can eat more than that). If you do have the card, how often do you use it? I used mine for the first time the other day, and I felt a little uncomfortable. We were at IHOP, and they have a Jr. Cod dinner--one piece of cod(pan-seared, not breaded and deep fried!), and steamed broccoli. I really wanted that, so I pulled the card out for the first time, and the waitress kind of looked at me weird, but said that since I had the card, they would let me order off the kids menu. I know I shouldn't feel so weird about it, but I did. Everyone tells you to order off the appetizer menu, but everything on most appetizer menus is a.) expensive, and b.) not healthy!! Deep fried everything! And most kid's menus aren't much better, but IHOP has a whole healthy menu portion, and they cod was very good! They do have the same thing in adult portions, but I just figured, why waste my money?

My DH tried that at IHOP, and they refused to let him order off the kids menu even with the card. I think it depends on the server maybe?

I was out the other morning, and the place had 1/2 servings of Breakfast on their senior/kids menu. Anyone else could order from that, but there was a $1.00 charge. Seemed like a good thing to me.

I have the card, but have never used it. I still order the regular sized portion and what I don't, my hubby takes for lunch the next day. It works out good for us.

I have the card as well. Only one time did I have a restaurant say they wouldn't honor it. I get funny looks when I use sometimes but I figure they are saving food by me not eating as much so I might as well save money.

I have a card, and tried to use it once. I just didn't like telling a stranger my business. So now we go to places where I can order off the kids menu no questions asked:

Olive Garden

Cracker Barrel

Bob Evans (senior menu)

Applebees

But I think it does depend on the server as well! :)

UG. I spent a week in Vegas a month after being banded, and we found NO place that would honor the card. Most of them just don't have Kid's menus, or Senior Citizen discounts or anything. I just ended up wasting an awful lot of expensive food. The days of cheap buffets in Vegas are GONE, GONE, GONE. There was no refrigerator in our hotel room, so I couldn't even TRY to save it for later. :(

I did get the go-ahead from my surgeon to start on solid foods prior to going, so that was good. At least I didn't have to lug around baby food with me....Although I might have saved a small fortune, had I done that.:noidea:

Have the card but have never used it. I just order regular Entrees and get a few meals out of it. Or more specifically, DH eats it later in the day. :(

I have ordered from the kids' menu on the rare occasion that they've had quality choices, and I've never had a problem. I just tell them I'm not that hungry, and ask if it would be OK.

I've used my card a couple of times - my doctor has a list of restraunts in our area that take the card. But one of them I tried to use it at told me they no longer accepted it.

My in-laws do not know that I have the Lap-band, so on Friday nights we go out to eat with them, I am not able to use it since it would create a scene. I usually just split a meal with my DH and tell everyone that since my "hernia repair" surgery, I havent been able to eat much.

Obesity Help has a list of restraunts that accept the card - but they also say that some of them are individually owned and may not. I think it would be best to call ahead and explain it to them, ask to speak to the manger. http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/RestaurantCard.html

Olive Garden does not accept the card here. My waitress let me order a kids meal, my daughter ordered a kids meal and my husband ordered a regular meal. The manager came over and said that she would allow me to order the items al a cart (it was way more expensive that way, I was cheaper ordering an adult portion and splitting it with my dd) but the company policy is that the kids menu is for kids 10 and under only.

Another one to be aware of is that Bakers Square will allow you to order off the kids menu and then sticks a $3 service charge on the bill. My whole family refuses to go there anymore, if they had said there is a service charge I would have ordered something else and had leftovers or shared with my daughter. It was just poor business in my opinion. ~Mandy

This thread is making me aware of some really problematic issues with our restaurant industry. You just can't seem to win. If you want a "Pepsi", half the time a waitress says, "Diet?" (no, you nasty little snot, if I wanted diet, I would have ordered diet...), or they just assume and bring a diet instead of a "regular" Pepsi (I've had this happen plenty of times).

If you order a big meal, they look at you sideways or with a "tsk-tsk" look. If you want to order something small or get a to-go container, they hassle you.

Sheesh! It's ridiculous!

I agree faithmd, it is ridiculous! I have a friend who has struggled with his weight for years and is a very large man. One time a few of us decided to eat at one of those all you can eat buffets (pre-band). I'll never forget the girl behind the counter turning to a co-worker and commenting on how they would have to really fill the bar up. They both then proceeded to turn to him with disgusted looks on their faces. I was so glad he didn't hear or see them because I know it would have killed him. I don't know if anyone else noticed but I did and it hurt. I know that I tend to be more sensitive to things like this because I am overweight but that is completely uncalled for!

Thanks for the info on the WLS Card. It will be some time before I can use it but it was helpful. Pray for me, I still have 2 more weeks of liquid diet to go. Then 2 weeks of soft foods. I have somehow survived the last 2 weeks on liquid diet and I feel so weak. I am miserable. I want FOOD!!!

Restaurants are partly what make people over-weight! They give portions that aren't needed when we all really should be eating the portions that children get, its just sad that they won't let people order off of them half the time. Theres a restaurant I used to go to a lot and I always order off the kids menu, and its jsut as satifying as what you can get on the adult menu. I haven't been banded, but that card thing sounds cool, and places should accept it like the bladder card thing where they have to let you use the bathroom it is a medical condition so they really should honor it! :(

Hi, In America and Australia the portion sizes are ridiculous. In France and many other countries they eat much smaller portions as a rule. Don't the French love to rub it in the French women don't get fat, and laugh at us! Meanwhile they have a much higher rate of people who smoke.

I believe it is our responsibility about how much we eat though. We can't blame the restaurants. We put the food in our mouths. Boycott em, if they will not allow you to select smaller portions! Susannah

Al my favorite places to eat know I have a lap band because I feasted there prior to surgery. If the server deosn't know me, I ask for a manager. I'm not ashamed of my band and am willing to tell the worls. I have found that people are very interested and often want it for themselves or have a friend who needs help. In the long run, I get the kid's menu and everyone is happy.

If you have issue with telling people about your band, the kid's menu may be harder to explain. Some folks suggest ordering a to go box at the same time you place your order so you can box your meal once it arrives so help prevent you from over eating.