Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This The "full" Feeling I'm Suppose To Get?

Hi everyone. I was banded on 11/21. After taking 12 hours to come out of anesthesia (that was a huge shocker) and getting over the crazy gas pain, I started to feel human again after 2 days. I did liquids up until yesterday and started on mushies. Oh thank goodness. Anyway, so I've moved on to mushies and after I have about 5 slow bites, I have this heavy feeling at the top of my stomach/bottom of chest. I can't eat past that point. Is that the full feeling I'm suppose to be looking for? I didn't get a fill yet but the dr said I would still feel some sort of restriction with the band alone.

Jamie - down 12 pounds since surgery 11 days ago! YAY!

Hi jamie! Welcome to "the other side". I still remember my first couple of bites of mashed potato's over four YEARS ago, I had about two spoonfuls and felt exactly what you describe...but I can't remember last week! :)

Yes, very possibly you are feeling some restriction from your band or maybe a little swelling left over from surgery. Go nice and slow, following your surgical team's recommendations on the types of foods you are eating.

Congrats on your recovery and best wishes on your future!

Hi... I agree with what David said.

Take it slow... one day at a time.

I'd also recommend you keep a food journal. Also, make sure you finish what you have in your mouth before you take your second or third bite.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Fairly well since 11.20.13 banding. Down 16 pounds, no nausea, pain, or other problems. On solids for 3 days, now. 12 days and 16 pounds, not bad.

Felt full for first time last night, after 3 bites of meat and one of squash (mushy).

Will overeating a couple of times (banding 11/1 having my first fill next week) make the stomach expand? I hope not!

I was banded November 22nd and I know that feeling she is referring to, is it over eating or is that normal? Sometimes its down right painful. Im just not sure how much is to much. This surgery has thrown me completely off. I lost 50 pounds on my own before surgery but its a bigger struggle now it seems. I don't even eat much but is it to much. Please let me know how you long time banders do it. I'm a little lost with it. Do u eat an oz or 2 please explain so I don't have this horrible pain. It doesn't happen often but when it does it stinks.

Banded almost 3 years now....last fill was over 2-1/2 years ago...Green Zone ever since....

Just want to say:

I have NEVER felt "Full"

For me, it's a mental thing....the band is there, 24 hrs a day...so 24hrs a day it sends a signal to my brain that I am full, I do not need, or want to eat....even if I physically had nothing to eat in 24hrs....it's always there, just as the band is always there....

Imagine you just had the biggest thanksgiving feast...have to un buckle your pants...you cannot possible eat anothrer thing! Don't even show me another slice of pie...I cannot stand the sight of it....TAKE IT AWAY!!!!

Now seperate the menatal thoughts, from the physical feelings...THAT is what I experience, all day long....I do not want to look at food, can't get motivated nor have an interest in eating....sometimes I find it repulsive....

All without ever eating a thing!

There is no trick to it...it's not the Protein, nor the Water....it's all the Band! Simple....

As far as feedback from the band when you swallow something, I do get that with almost eveything I eat AND drink, at times....but that to me is not feeling "Full"

I was banded November 22nd and I know that feeling she is referring to, is it over eating or is that normal? Sometimes its down right painful. Im just not sure how much is to much. This surgery has thrown me completely off. I lost 50 pounds on my own before surgery but its a bigger struggle now it seems. I don't even eat much but is it to much. Please let me know how you long time banders do it. I'm a little lost with it. Do u eat an oz or 2 please explain so I don't have this horrible pain. It doesn't happen often but when it does it stinks.

You may be having pain because your taking too big of swallows, not chewing enough, OR the food you are trying to eat is not Band friendly...too harsh....try softer foods....

Also if you irritate your band, it is a never ending cycle and can only get worse, not giving the band a chance to heal, EVERYTHING you swallow will hurt.........some will go back to their Dr. complaining they can't keep anything down....or experiencing reflux....and the Dr. will get take Fluid out to give it a rest.... then the patient will complain they're not loosing weight....on and on it goes......but what one needs to do is give the band a chance to heal by going liquids for a day or 2....

If you sprain our ankle, you need to stay off it a few days.....take it easy....if you continue running, it will only get worse...

Hi everyone. I was banded on 11/21. After taking 12 hours to come out of anesthesia (that was a huge shocker) and getting over the crazy gas pain, I started to feel human again after 2 days. I did liquids up until yesterday and started on mushies. Oh thank goodness. Anyway, so I've moved on to mushies and after I have about 5 slow bites, I have this heavy feeling at the top of my stomach/bottom of chest. I can't eat past that point. Is that the full feeling I'm suppose to be looking for? I didn't get a fill yet but the dr said I would still feel some sort of restriction with the band alone.

Jamie - down 12 pounds since surgery 11 days ago! YAY!

Hi Jamie -- congratulations on getting banded! We are just a few weeks apart. That's how it was for me, too -- a few bites and that was it. Same feeling in solar plexus. This went on quite a long time but now my appetite has returned and I'm hungry again sooner. Tomorrow I meet with my surgeon for a first fill.

Fairly well since 11.20.13 banding. Down 16 pounds, no nausea, pain, or other problems. On solids for 3 days, now. 12 days and 16 pounds, not bad.

Felt full for first time last night, after 3 bites of meat and one of squash (mushy).

Hi there -- sounds like you're doing great. Congratulations on new banded life.

This first month is all about recovering from the surgery. My surgeon told me not to eat if I wasn't hungry and when I did eat in the beginning I got full very quickly. I still have to take it slowly and put the utensil down, wait, come back, etc. As soon as I get a feeling in my chest I stop. For me this means I've been reverting to eating too fast or bites too big. food has to be very mushie so needs to be chewed a long time. If you are having pain you should contact your doctor.