Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Uncomfortable Truth....

I hate to say it, GG, but 'potentially'?

I know people can be anatomically different, but as you know, the likelihood of a stomach being 'born' huge, is quite remote.

A stomach won't get to gargantuan proportions unless it is 'encouraged' to... and if it were to happen along the genetic line through continuous repetition, there would surely be a long family history of obesity...

To have two people 'naturally' 'gifted' with big stomachs in the one house? I'm thinking the odds on that are preeeetty long...

Back to the nature (over centuries/medical anomalies) /nurture argument...

It is interesting as to what this thread has gone to show... That no matter whether it was your parents, your childhood, your peers, your siblings, your location, your marriage/relationship, an event(s), because your pet died or you just detested the way your nose looks... We are all the same. SOMETHING triggered our desire to eat... and none of us are impervious to that fact. I started the thread because I wondered whether people on here had actually given it that much thought outside of the calorie counting and Protein measurements. Because I was realising there was this 'other side' appearing in me and it definitely needed dealing with. Clearly some of you have, too - and I am warmed and encouraged by that. Its a very good thing. Evolving inside as well as outside is a very good thing. I was not expecting people to be so explicit in their posts, but I truly appreciate your candor and your inclusivity. Although undoubtedly very painful, it sets an example and encourages deeper debate and healthy analysis as to our evolution as whole people - not just focussing on the cursory effects and remedial behaviour modifications that wls engenders. It is the ultimate 'ground truth'. You are all fabulous x

You seem to start threads that make me think and bring to light issues that need to be dealt with...at times I love it, other times wish I could just bury it all, but I do know that issues do need to be dealt with instead of being ignored.

Btw. You're pretty fabulous yourself :)

i believe I went to far and this being my pet part of healing I have stoked a fire in others and myself...I did not sleep last night because of what I wrote on here..I have always been a private person and kept it all to myself...For some reason a tilde wave has erupted for me... I have had so much therapy and it was useless except on area....I learned it was not my fault.. When I went to them it was over another issue and turned out as I spoke to them that it was a completely different issue that plagued me.....I am just encouraging to explore all the areas ...You may be surprised like me that it was not the thing I thought it was that made me who I am today... Sorry for taking up so much of this thread...I had no intention of being so dam honest...

Sometimes "airing" your feelings is all a part of the healing process. And please don't apologize, we all need to talk things out at times. :)

GG, don't think u r the delusional type...

I wonder if those of us who had less than ideal early lives could exert control over food in a way we couldn't do with other aspects of our lives?

I spent a lifetime rewarding myself by eating and I question whether I was doing it because it was the only thing my mum couldn't control? Would certainly explain the secret eating....I have always felt I ate to fill an indescribable hole in me but no matter how much I stuffed in, it was never filled.

Still much to understand but great to be saying it people who understand. Have spent many years keeping secrets out if misguided loyalty. Don't feel the need to do that as the new me

At the risk of sounding like an assholED..

Yes. I found this thread really cathartic and have felt a bond that I had with some grow stronger because we opened ourselves up a bit to each other. Thank you!

Will I regret writing this?

Edit: I'm done

I don't know...

i believe I went to far and this being my pet part of healing I have stoked a fire in others and myself...I did not sleep last night because of what I wrote on here..I have always been a private person and kept it all to myself...For some reason a tilde wave has erupted for me... I have had so much therapy and it was useless except on area....I learned it was not my fault.. When I went to them it was over another issue and turned out as I spoke to them that it was a completely different issue that plagued me.....I am just encouraging to explore all the areas ...You may be surprised like me that it was not the thing I thought it was that made me who I am today... Sorry for taking up so much of this thread...I had no intention of being so dam honest...

You are not the one that went to far...

Thank you for sharing, it helped me to know that I am not alone...

Sometimes "airing" your feelings is all a part of the healing process. And please don't apologize, we all need to talk things out at times. :)

Talking it out was not my reason for posting..i am in the process of dealing with all my head issues...I just thought it might be helpful to express that no one is alone on here..It is a like time fight to deal with all the reasons we are who we were or are today......Like I said in a past post...I have had the therapy and the insight and worked my ass off for years learning what makes me tick.....I wanted to be there for others like they have been there for me..I put it out there for everyone..I took a chance that all would understand why......The last issue I had to work on was taking the protective walls down...all the rest is just bad memories and locked in the past where they cannot harm me anymore....

I am a painting a work in progress..like everyone else on this forum...I just chose to put it all out there for you to seethe underbelly of what I have worked on for so long and hard....I really hope you all understand that this was for me a gift to all of you......trying to encourage and help some who want it...

Talking it out was not my reason for posting..i am in the process of dealing with all my head issues...I just thought it might be helpful to express that no one is alone on here..It is a like time fight to deal with all the reasons we are who we were or are today......Like I said in a past post...I have had the therapy and the insight and worked my ass off for years learning what makes me tick.....I wanted to be there for others like they have been there for me..I put it out there for everyone..I took a chance that all would understand why......The last issue I had to work on was taking the protective walls down...all the rest is just bad memories and locked in the past where they cannot harm me anymore....

I am a painting a work in progress..like everyone else on this forum...I just chose to put it all out there for you to seethe underbelly of what I have worked on for so long and hard....I really hope you all understand that this was for me a gift to all of you......trying to encourage and help some who want it...

I understand, and I think it has helped some of us. I know it has me…I may not have shared, but I can honestly say it is nice to know i'm not alone…so, Thank you

I understand, and I think it has helped some of us. I know it has me…I may not have shared, but I can honestly say it is nice to know i'm not alone…so, Thank you

I think I found a new talent..I can stop a thread almost in its track..This is the second time I have done this..I am so sorry everyone...it is not my intention to be so firm and insensitive to anyone......I guess I zigged when I should have zagged..I appreciate all of you and your kindness toward me and especially your thoughts..Through those we are supposed to help and encourage one another..That is my aim..Even if it was not done on this thread I will try harder on the next one I reply to....K all!

Apparently I'm the one who needs to apologize and so please do accept my sincere apologies. No harm was intended. Peace out.

I'm confused. Why is everyone apologizing?

Because people are worried they may have offended people and those people are worried they may have offended those other people and everyone is worried we may have offended the people we don't yet know.

It's like the known unknowns and the unknown knowns..

Clear as mud? Yes, I went to the same school as George Dubblya Bush..

Except, I can read a book the right way up and know that the origin of the word 'Entrepreneurialism' is, actually, French..

:D

Ok. I read through the entire thread, and must say a few things.

1) thank you to ALL the contributors. I saw myself in each and every post. I can say that I was able to reflect on EACH piece that you all shared and they REALLY helped me to recognize something's about and within myself that I need to get some "light" to, for fear of the darkness overwhelming.

2) when such highly personal and emotional things are shared, I think it makes us EXTREMELY sensitive (emotional cheese grater?) and some of you thought others took offense, which I believe they didn't. Nor did the original apologizers offend. It makes me sad that the thread came to that because you all REALLY REALLY were on an AMAZING roll, and it was incredibly helpful. Until it stopped.

To get a glimpse into the soul of another, to feel for just a moment like all is not lost, and a fleeting sense that I am not alone....That, my fellow sleevers, I truly appreciate.

I NEEDED this thread Revs...with tears streaming....THANK YOU!!!

Because people are worried they may have offended people and those people are worried they may have offended those other people and everyone is worried we may have offended the people we don't yet know.

It's like the known unknowns and the unknown knowns..

Clear as mud? Yes, I went to the same school as George Dubblya Bush..

Except, I can read a book the right way up and know that the origin of the word 'Entrepreneurialism' is, actually, French..

:D

Oh, I thought I overlooked a post or something. Looks like we're all confused!

Group hug.....bring it in guys.....no? Ok.....