Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honest Answers Only!

You know, that's a good question, Amanda. I don't know that *every* self-proclaimed food addict needs therapy.

This is goofy, but one of the things I have learned in the last 6 weeks is the difference between addiction and a really bad habit. I was regularly drinking 2-3 glasses of wine per night before surgery prep started. Once that started, the wine drinking stopped completely. And I never missed it. But I tossed around the question in my mind a bit ahead of time.

I think in my case therapy for my wine "addiction" wouldn't have accomplished very much. What had to change was the habit of pouring a glass at 6, and then another...

Now, there are all sorts of behaviors that I continue to address. Maybe it would be helpful to have a guide with some of them. Maybe not. I will note that I have had enough therapy over the course of my life to know that I need to stop and listen to what is really going on in my head when I am tempted by avoidance and denial. So maybe my previous work with a therapist helped me, and maybe I may want to work with one eventually. But I would hesitate to make a generalization about what someone else needs.

<p>You know, that's a good question, Amanda. I don't know that *every* self-proclaimed food addict needs therapy. </p> <p> </p> <p>This is goofy, but one of the things I have learned in the last 6 weeks is the difference between addiction and a really bad habit. I was regularly drinking 2-3 glasses of wine per night before surgery prep started. Once that started, the wine drinking stopped completely. And I never missed it. But I tossed around the question in my mind a bit ahead of time.</p> <p> </p> <p>I think in my case therapy for my wine "addiction" wouldn't have accomplished very much. What had to change was the habit of pouring a glass at 6, and then another...</p> <p> </p> <p>Now, there are all sorts of behaviors that I continue to address. Maybe it would be helpful to have a guide with some of them. Maybe not. I will note that I have had enough therapy over the course of my life to know that I need to stop and listen to what is really going on in my head when I am tempted by avoidance and denial. So maybe my previous work with a therapist helped me, and maybe I may want to work with one eventually. But I would hesitate to make a generalization about what someone else needs.</p>

I agree that is not productive to generalize people. And there is huge difference between "addict" and bad habits. I had a similar wine habit and I saw its potential for becoming more. Scary feeling.

Earlier in the thread the OP said they *couldn't* control it, or something to that effect. The OP then agreed they were an addict. Then, as soon as someone said "it's okay you cheated" they latched onto that post like a lifeline.

I'm not saying they do or don't need therapy. I guess I'm saying therapy shouldn't be suggested or dismissed flippantly or offhandedly.

People are wont to do just that...

Thanks for all ur wisdom and advice guys, I'm on the 12th December so from today on I'm ready :)

Good news! You can do this.

It is hard that's for sure. But just know this "diet" is different you are doing this for a surgery, a surgery that offers REAL help in losing weight.

I know this sounds corny but I truly feel "blessed"

That I was able to do this.

I walk around today and see sad, miserable people that would truly benefit from this surgery and for one reason or another can't have it..

We are the lucky ones :)

And to the others on this thread, the ones that are TRYING to stir things up, saying things with a challenge thrown in, just playing devils advocate...

Truly annoying.

"I'm not saying they do or don't need therapy. I guess I'm saying therapy shouldn't be suggested or dismissed flippantly or offhandedly."

Fair enough. Then I am picking up what you are throwing down. :D

Do ya hear me clucking, big chicken? ;-)

Wow, I'm really glad that I read this thread. I'm hoping to get sleeved in February and I've been DREADING the pre-op diet my surgeon requires. Right now my eating is so out of control with last meals and food funerals, that I've been having serious doubts about ever being able to succeed. Your comments have been so motivational. I can choose to see this as a punishment, or I can instead see this as the gateway for a happier, healthier life. It's all up to me.

To be brutally honest, I've been making myself so sick lately by binging on carbs and sugar that the liquid diet should bring me some sort of relief. I think my body is finally telling me that it can't take anymore.

This "last meal" thing is so self destructive. I mean, there's no way I can eat every last thing that I want to taste before the surgery. But I'm doing a great job of trying. It's only going to put more weight on me and make things harder for my surgeon in the long run.

I can succeed at this. I must.

Thanks for all ur wisdom and advice guys, I'm on the 12th December so from today on I'm ready :)

Good for you! We're here when you need a place to vent :D

I can't relate I was not put on a Pre Op diet and it was no big deal. I tried to follow recommendations of attempting to lose some weight but it didn't happen as the more insulin I took the more I wanted to ate and craved foods. No One was specific about a pre Op diet they suggested losing 6-8 LBS before surgery date and a 2 day bowel prep. My surgery was Tuesday the 19th on Saturday I woke up intending to fast until surgery but failed as Saturday night ate like a horse. Sunday and Monday I pushed it and took gas pills etc a little Protein Sunday as it said but Monday stayed all clear. In the end it make no difference. My Sleeve is a miraculous lost 28 LBs since surgery as of today. I read where some Pre Op Diets are drastic I admire those who accomplish the task. But it's not a huge deal not too either in my opinion. Godspeeed

You are right.. YOU CAN SUCCEED :)

food funerals..

When I knew I had a date I went to the store before my pre op diet. I picked up a pint of some kind of ice cream (can't even remember the flavor how sad) went home and ate..

After I ate it?? Nothing, it was just gone it didn't feel special it didn't make me feel better, in fact it did nothing for me except make me feel crappier about myself and add more weight to lose!

So yes,

don't sabotage yourself with thoughts of "I need to eat this now because I can never have it again"

Wow, I'm really glad that I read this thread. I'm hoping to get sleeved in February and I've been DREADING the pre-op diet my surgeon requires. Right now my eating is so out of control with last meals and food funerals, that I've been having serious doubts about ever being able to succeed. Your comments have been so motivational. I can choose to see this as a punishment, or I can instead see this as the gateway for a happier, healthier life. It's all up to me. To be brutally honest, I've been making myself so sick lately by binging on carbs and sugar that the liquid diet should bring me some sort of relief. I think my body is finally telling me that it can't take anymore. This "last meal" thing is so self destructive. I mean, there's no way I can eat every last thing that I want to taste before the surgery. But I'm doing a great job of trying. It's only going to put more weight on me and make things harder for my surgeon in the long run. I can succeed at this. I must.

Hey! I am also going in on 12/12. I start my pre-op diet today. My bmi is 33 but I am starting a few days early. I am terrified of a liver complications, or wasting money only to be sent home. I figure better safe than sorry, but each of us has our own tolerance for risk. Wishing you a safe surgery and healthy recovery!

Wow, I'm really glad that I read this thread. I'm hoping to get sleeved in February and I've been DREADING the pre-op diet my surgeon requires. Right now my eating is so out of control with last meals and food funerals, that I've been having serious doubts about ever being able to succeed. Your comments have been so motivational. I can choose to see this as a punishment, or I can instead see this as the gateway for a happier, healthier life. It's all up to me.

To be brutally honest, I've been making myself so sick lately by binging on carbs and sugar that the liquid diet should bring me some sort of relief. I think my body is finally telling me that it can't take anymore.

This "last meal" thing is so self destructive. I mean, there's no way I can eat every last thing that I want to taste before the surgery. But I'm doing a great job of trying. It's only going to put more weight on me and make things harder for my surgeon in the long run.

I can succeed at this. I must.

I got so sick of the "last meal syndrome" I ended up starting my pre-op diet a day early. I was over mourning food - I mourned a lot!

A couple of days prior to surgery and a couple of days after surgery, I had a major pity party. We would drive down the road and I would think, "I can't have that" or "I'll never eat that again". I also had some serious 2nd thoughts about the surgery. At about Day 3 post-op though, I had more positive thoughts and feelings. Now, I'm looking forward to making meals that are sleeve and family friendly. My focus is on trying to get in my Protein and Water and daily exercise. It's a new/different focus; it's not about deprivation.

I have no mourning of food or what it is. Long ago I knew giving up romancing food was the key. I'm gonna be a dead man and leave 2 young children behind if I did not do surgery now we all can "live". I'm happy camper waking up daily having the power I need to defeat this crazy obsession of food. My 17 year old cried in the Hospital I said it's for you bring on your family we are going to enjoy life!

My pre-op diet was a little bit different. All I had to do was lose 10% of my body weight before the surgery, and so I did. For two months I pushed myself and lost 34 pounds, which was much more than i needed to lose. Then they scheduled my surgery and I ate well for the next few weeks and lost much slower but still it came off. Then a week before i had to start liquids I ate whatever I wanted. and Im glad I did. It was my goodbye to food. For a little while anyway. I felt like I needed it and for me it worked. I got it out of my system. Then I started liquids and was committed. However I had a much easier time of it than most because mine was only three days!

This is goofy, but one of the things I have learned in the last 6 weeks is the difference between addiction and a really bad habit.

Actually I think this is very insightful and has helped me understand my own behavior a lot. I've been thinking about this since you posted it this morning.

Addiction for me was my body craving sugar after I ate sugar. That was an uncontrollable, physical reaction and I craved it with a hunger that was not natural. I used that phrase several times with my husband and said "There's something wrong inside my body. This hunger is not natural." I didn't understand what was causing it until much later.

Habit was me buying Snacks to munch on as soon as I walked into the airport. Habit for my husband was grabbing a handful of nuts each time he walked by the jar. These latter were easy to just stop doing once we became aware of them.

The former, the sugar addiction? We had to undergo a physical de-tox when we stopped the sugar and that was hell.

By the time I decided on the surgery, we had very few bad habits left. We did have a wicked addiction though, and it was the pre-op that helped us kick that one.

We had to go cold turkey, go through the headaches, chills, fatigue, nausea, exhaustion, raging hunger, etc. before we got over the sugar addiction.

I like that distinction, it's very handy. Thank you!