Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honest Answers Only!

When I quit smoking 8 years ago I every time I was tempted to smoke I reminded myself that giving into the cigarette would essentially undo all of my progress.

It helped.

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there that didn't stick to their pre-op diet and if so what was the outcome??

I will be unpopular when I say this but who cares? I was 360 pounds before my surgery. I required no pre-op diet except 2 days of liquids before the surgery day and Milk of Magnesia. I had no complications and in 10 weeks have lost 70+ pounds.

Everyone cheats on their pre-op. And why not? You're never going to be able to eat like that again after the surgery. Live it up now. Just my 2 cents.

I will be unpopular when I say this but who cares? I was 360 pounds before my surgery. I required no pre-op diet except 2 days of liquids before the surgery day and Milk of Magnesia. I had no complications and in 10 weeks have lost 70+ pounds. Everyone cheats on their pre-op. And why not? You're never going to be able to eat like that again after the surgery. Live it up now. Just my 2 cents.

Actually I don't think everyone cheats on their pre-op. Many of us didn't.

i am a band/plication patient so excuse my intrusion on this forum but i wanted to respond..

i didnt cheat because i was to afraid of waking up and the dr saying my liver wasnt small enough..how embarrassing that would have been....and by me not cheating actually gave me more strength mentally than i ever thought possible......and id only be cheating myself.....and i think that now....all the best to you

^^^ Let me clarify above. If you're

I will be unpopular when I say this but who cares? I was 360 pounds before my surgery. I required no pre-op diet except 2 days of liquids before the surgery day and Milk of Magnesia. I had no complications and in 10 weeks have lost 70+ pounds. Everyone cheats on their pre-op. And why not? You're never going to be able to eat like that again after the surgery. Live it up now. Just my 2 cents.

Actually I don't think everyone cheats on their pre-op. Many of us didn't.

My point is, some of us never had a pre-op diet and we turned out just fine. However, if you're on a pre-op diet because you need to shrink your liver down or stabilize blood sugar that's a different ballgame. Every surgeon is different. I wouldn't stress myself out over it if you cheat and jump back on track (that's really what I ment to say above). There are no real set of rules to follow when it comes to this because everyone has different experiences. All we can do is share our experiences and let you make up your mind what is best for you personally.

Honest answer: yes, I cheated. 3 times (about once a week) during a 3 week pre op. My surgeon made it my choice when to start, and of course I was excited to get started. Yeah, I knew the risks, I read the research, I took the chance. A lot of ppl said, 'well if you can't stick to a pre op diet, how are you going to stick to the post surgery diet??' well, luckily after the surgery, it would be physically impossible to cheat for a long time. I am not saying you should do as I did. Am I proud that I cheated? No. Do I think the pre op diet is essential? NO, simply because there are so many variations, no research supporting them and the doctors cannot even agree if it should be required. Im sure this will stir up the food nazis and cause all sorts of uproar. Can't wait.

Well I never cheated but I wasn't required to have a pre op. my instructions were to stop eating and drinking from 00.00 the night before my surgery. However in the last week leading up to my surgery my appetite decreased somewhat.. Maybe due to nerves!! That said, I'm sure your dr has a very good reason for asking you to go on a pre op.. Good Luck!

i am a band/plication patient so excuse my intrusion on this forum but i wanted to respond.. i didnt cheat because i was to afraid of waking up and the dr saying my liver wasnt small enough..how embarrassing that would have been....and by me not cheating actually gave me more strength mentally than i ever thought possible......and id only be cheating myself.....and i think that now....all the best to you

This is a real possibility! I have read here, on this very forum, more than one person this has happened too.

Can you imagine waking up to that news?? It's devastating I'm sure.

I see that different doctors are calling for different things here. But I'd never give anyone the advice to do what I did if their doctor told them to do something different.. I am not a surgeon or swamy the fortune teller and I have absolutely no authority to speak upon what will and will not be your outcome because it worked a certain way for me..

You know I met a girl in the hospital that my doctor did the same surgery on the same day, and a couple of days later we were talking on the phone and found out her pre and post op instructions were slightly different than mine??

Wtf??? Well my surgeon told us ummm you are two different people with different health issues...

Umm... Being fat doesn't make us all the same..

Go figure :P

My husband and I got sleeved by the same doctor same day. Same BMI. Different pre-ops. His was 2 weeks mine was 1. I did the two with him but we asked why the difference.

The doctor said that even though we had the same BMI, that he weighed more than I did. Also when men weigh as much as he did, they tend to carry the weight on their stomachs (this was true of him). That means my husband was much more likely than me to have fatty liver and thus needed a longer pre-op.

As Laura says, we may all be fat but even in that we differ. So second guessing ones doctor is roulette.

Funny thing is, I have NO health issues at all!! My BMI is bearly 40! The diet my surgeon gives out is general! I'm 255 pounds and 5"8" so I'm a rarity for WLS. I think one week is quite sufficient, my argument is, "if I was able to so 3weeks high Protein I wouldn't be here in the first place :(.

Funny thing is, I have NO health issues at all!! My BMI is bearly 40! The diet my surgeon gives out is general! I'm 255 pounds and 5"8" so I'm a rarity for WLS. I think one week is quite sufficient, my argument is, "if I was able to so 3weeks high Protein I wouldn't be here in the first place :(.

That sounds like you're trying to justify it. You're an adult and not one person here can give or deny you permission.

You asked for honesty and you have it.

And I may be one of the few who reject the excuse that they "cannot stick to a diet". What we eat and how much is a choice. We choose to "cheat".

In no way am I saying that choosing to stay committed to a food lifestyle change is easy. I am a woman who has damn near cried when my sleeve restriction kicked in. It's hard. Extremely hard. But it's still a choice.