Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Got Stuck For Thanksgiving?

tmf - something as small as a cherry pit would get stuck? I'm trying to figure out where I am in the scheme of things. I can still swallow a Vitamin tablet without issue. Maybe I need a fill? I'm struggling to hear the band signals, as I did early on. But I've already got 7.5cc's in a 10cc band. I guess I should be glad that I haven't had any stuck issues, but I wonder sometimes……is that normal? Believe me, I'm not a perfect eater all the time. Meaning, I might eat a bit faster, or take a bite bigger than I should. I know everyone is different, but?? I'm going to see my doc this month. I need to address these things with him.

I'm thinking yes but I don't want to find out. Cherry pits seem to be bigger than most Vitamins I take. I picture the stoma to be about the size of the hole in a straw. Sometimes even less. If you've ever seen Catfish's video on his fluoroscopy you'll see the hole is not very big.

You've done very well with the band and I'd only recommend a fill if you start to plateau for a few months and begin to get hungry 23 hours after a meal? If you're losing slowly now don't rock the boat. jmo

tmf

Hmmm…… I think mine must be the size of a peach pit! - LOL

I didn't get stuck but I did feel restriction so had to wait while after taking some bites.

I actually felt most uncomfortable about not being able to try everything. My family fixed so much food even with just a small sample of each thing I couldn't try everything and felt guilty about "snubbing" my family's efforts to contribute. It really just reminded me that a lot of psychology goes into how we got to be fluffy in the first place.

I didn't get stuck but I did feel restriction so had to wait while after taking some bites.

I actually felt most uncomfortable about not being able to try everything. My family fixed so much food even with just a small sample of each thing I couldn't try everything and felt guilty about "snubbing" my family's efforts to contribute. It really just reminded me that a lot of psychology goes into how we got to be fluffy in the first place.

Man, I sure enjoyed the food but it was an ugly reminder of the old me and I don't want to be that guy again. All Holiday food is now out of the house but some Hutterites dropped off a care package for us complete with pies, candy, Cookies, canned peaches, eggs and more. Ugh! Need to put up a high fence around the house to keep all the gifters away :blink:

I did not get stuck on anything Thanksgiving day. I had a Protein shake for Breakfast about 4am, then we had the big spread at work....smoked turkey/dressing/mashed potato/green bean casserole/gravy, pumpkin pie/snicker pie....whipped cream....

I had some of most of it around noon. Went home and did a little run, then for "dinner", some wine at home.

This is terrible to say…but my first bite of Turkey, my sister in law screeched across the room for her son to move and as her voice cut through me like a knife, I swallowed too fast and yup I was stuck! That pretty much put a fork in Thanksgiving dinner for me!

I pushed the rest around on my dish after, so no one was offended.

Had a slice of pumpkin and Coconut Custard Pie later and called it Thanksgiving!

This is terrible to say…but my first bite of Turkey, my sister in law screeched across the room for her son to move and as her voice cut through me like a knife, I swallowed too fast and yup I was stuck! That pretty much put a fork in Thanksgiving dinner for me!

I pushed the rest around on my dish after, so no one was offended.

Had a slice of pumpkin and Coconut Custard Pie later and called it Thanksgiving!

Distraction is one of the worst for we bandsters. Lifelong habits are so difficult to break. I've had the same happen over the phone ringing or a knock at the door.

I didn't get stuck on Thanksgiving day and ate very little however a peice of dry turkey got me on Saturday. It was bad....

I didn't get stuck on Thanksgiving day and ate very little however a peice of dry turkey got me on Saturday. It was bad....

I have all but sworn off turkey. I got stuck the day after and I don't think I could have chewed any better or eaten any slower.

I chewed pretty good and ate slow with small bites. Still the turkey got me. Now I know why people with problems revert to slider foods. I did the same for the rest of the day. But I'm back now. I have to say that my stuck episodes have hurt like ------!

Why can't we eat and drink at the sametime?

I am 8 days post operative. I am really struggling with this I want to chug ice Water but I can't. Any suggestions?

Why can't we eat and drink at the sametime?<br> I am 8 days post operative. I am really struggling with this I want to chug ice Water but I can't. Any suggestions?

My advice is for people to practice the post op diet before surgery so their easier to manage afterwards but that advice is too late for you I'm afraid. The reasoning is twofold

A)you don't want to take up space in your stomach that you need to absorb nutrition

B) fluids make it easier for food to pass through the hole created by the band so it's less effective

Eventually your surgeon may okay you to drink fluids more frequently but this early in your journey I'd encourage you to follow your physician's instructions as closely as possible so it's easier to identify how your body is responding to the band.

No problem just drinking Water. It's washing food through the band with Water that's not advisable. A phrase you may not be familiar with is "Slider Foods"? Slider foods are foods like ice cream, margaritas, mac and cheese. Foods that slide through the band without the esophagus going through peristalsis 5 to 6 times.

Peristalsis is when the esophagus massages food through the sphincter at the top of the stomach. Foods like egg nog just flow right through without giving the vagus nerve at the top of your stomach the signal that you're eating, thereby not giving you that feeling of satiety.

Water will take most food and lubricate it right through the band.

Well it was the most painful thing ever. I felt like I was suffocating. Omg worse thing ever. .....

No stuck episodes but I did eat more than I should grazing throughout the long visit with family and friends

http://www.debbieposton.com/happy-thanksgiving-pass-the-pie/

However, that was a week ago now and even though I had gained 3 lbs, I have now lost that back plus an extra .6 lbs.

I'm glad it's over :)

Well it was the most painful thing ever. I felt like I was suffocating. Omg worse thing ever. .....

I get that stuck feeling often. This a.m. took an excedrin just one and it feels stuck. I know it's not but the pressure is there a little. Yesterday was my 45th wedding anniversary and we went out to dinner...I couldn't get anything down had to slime what I had already tried. But I had this problem with Breakfast too. I can go several days in a row no problems and some days can't keep down the same foods I ate the day before. It happens maybe twice a week or so. But I sent the salmon back yesterday twice then finally order the parmesain crusted tilapia and when I got home was able to eat half of it. Then had a little strawberry frozen yogurt almost got that pressure feeling with that. Don't know what's going on. Need to maybe slow down even more.