Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heartburn and Prilosec

I have chronic heartburn as it is, and I hear things about how you get heartburn for a while post op..

I take Prilosec once a day and it keeps it under wraps, I will still be able to take Prilosec post-op, correct?

Yep! I take Prilosec ALL the time. No Problems.

But Laura, word is - those that have reflux before they are banded - will most likely NOT have it after banding. :)

I am definitely looking forward to that, I just heard it causes heart burn in the beginning, and I swear by Prilosec as it is, so I hoped to take it afterward until I lose enough weight to get rid of it!

I take the generic prilosec and it comes in these little capsules. I just open the capsule and dump the contents into my mouth with a little Water. easy Breezy.

I'm glad to know that. I too take a capsule (Prevacid), for GERD. I didn't even think of what would be done about the meds I would have to take after. I take a couple of pills too, for cholesterol and such. Do I just crush those up and take them?

Laura-Has your heartburn gone away since you have lost so much weight? If so, how long after surgery did it go away? Were you able to take Prilosec if you needed it? I have not had it since starting my pre-op diet until yesterday and it has come back. I'm just wondering if I can take prilosec and do you take it whole, split it or crush it?

I take Prilosec everyday. (the pills are so small there should be no problem swallowing them)

I was diagnosed with GERD before surgery but never really had any heartburn issues.

During my pre-op liquid diet, all the milk in my Protein shakes started to give me indigestion and problems with my throat. It was a whole big nightmare.

I've been on Prilosec for almost 2 months now and my doctor said I could stop it and see how I feel. I'm scared - lol!

Actually.. I couldn't take prilosec for about 1 week post-op. And it took 3 days for my heartburn to come back (and normally it is literally everyday without prilosec).. and then it was very mild compared to how it use to be. So I tried taking tums first.. but then it came back full blown. And now every once in a while when I forget my Prilosec, the next day I will have horrible heartburn. So.. I'm not cured.

And Prilosec is a timed release pill, you can NOT NOT NOT chew or crush it. That'd be dangerous.

But even now I am so tight I can't take my tylenols that are about the size of a flat dime.. but prilosec goes down fine. Whew!

I just tough it out. Making myself a tough cookie :Banane35:

Due to back problems I use to pop 4 advil at a time 3x a day. No more NSAIDS, so I tried tylenol.. which does not help my muscle pains. I only take tylenol now when I have migraines.. and it's not really tylenol, I don't remember the brand it just makes me think of tylenol.

And don't be discouraged by my story of heartburn. Both parents have bad heartburn (dad is overweight, mom is not).. so it could just be bad genes :Banane10:

Not to mention though I've lose a good amount of weight so far, I AM still 99lbs overweight. So in 6 months maybe I'll have a new update!

I have had reflux for many years and take Protonix. My surgeon wants me to take for a month after surgery and then go off it to see what happens. He states that in his experience, most people do not needs meds after they have lost some weight. I can only hope.

That's what I heard too, but since my heartburn is still crazy as it always has been, I can only hope it's because I still have a ways to go ;)