Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Creating New Habits

Started the Nut appointments and find myself breaking habits and creating new ones. Right now hardest one is getting in 6 small meals every 3 hours. I don't want to eat at 7:30pm then 10:30 pm!! I was trying to break my night time eating habits....

Any other new habits others are trying?

Started the Nut appointments and find myself breaking habits and creating new ones. Right now hardest one is getting in 6 small meals every 3 hours. I don't want to eat at 7:30pm then 10:30 pm!! I was trying to break my night time eating habits....

Hello! My RNY is 12/17. I am really working on my worst..ok one of my worst habits which is TV eating ? I can NOT watch TV in my living room without hitting the kitchen a few times. So I have been working on coming upstairs when it's my daughter bedtime.. doing our nightly routine but I STAY upstairs. I can work from home, watch tv, be on here..All from upstairs but I will not allow myself to go downstairs bc I know what will happen. So yes not fun and as you see I'm still awake...but I'm all so still upstairs! Lol.

I totally understand the TV and eating. I hook it to relaxing and comfort. I keep telling myself food is not comfort a good blanket is comfort.

Good luck with changing your night time routine. I think it will get easier finding new habits to replace old ones!

last night instead of eating those last meals, I drank a Protein shake. Made me feel more in control.

Hello! My RNY is 12/17. I am really working on my worst..ok one of my worst habits which is TV eating ? I can NOT watch TV in my living room without hitting the kitchen a few times. So I have been working on coming upstairs when it's my daughter bedtime.. doing our nightly routine but I STAY upstairs. I can work from home, watch tv, be on here..All from upstairs but I will not allow myself to go downstairs bc I know what will happen. So yes not fun and as you see I'm still awake...but I'm all so still upstairs! Lol.

Hello. I read your posting. I too am having surgery (RYN) on the SAME day as you...the 17th. I am doing fine staying "out of the kitchen"...but I am on a three week prep diet of high protien, low carbs and I initially lost 7 pounds in the first 4 days...now I am backwards! I woke up two pounds heavier. What is your pre-surgery diet that is required? Also, I am in Seattle, WA area.......and you?

My pre- op diet is two weeks liquids with at least 80 grams Protein. It is rough, I really never want to drink another Protein Drink again. Good luck with your surgery and recovery

I am 1 month out today....you will not be hungry for awhile so those habits of eating when bored or watching tv kinda go away quickly because you have to force yourself just to get in what you need....one thing I say work on which you have heard from the start...slow down your eating, putin your fork down between bites, be aware of your bites and try to take smaller ones. Your body will tell you after when your going to fast but save yourself the pain and practice now...good luck on your journey!!

I am looking forward to the lessons the surgery teaches. I agree learning the habits now will save myself from hopefully pain later. goals right now are learning to eat at schedule times and no drinking before, during, and after meals. I have done really good with the drinking part. smaller meals still learning...I was the kind of person who did not eat all day then ate at night without a shut off!!! I first learned to eat 3 meals for two months now learning 5-6 small meals. My Nut calls in redistribution of the food throughout the day! not more food but spreading it out! Next will be portion control!!!

The 5 to 6 meals does take some getting use to, I think a lot of us are use to eating 1 maybe 2 meals a day...family. work this and that food was the last thing on the list lol when I started this I set my alarm after each "meal" after a few months it was easier and I wasnt as hungry ...my next issue became the last meal syndrome lol

Now set my alarm to remind me to eat cause I dont feel hungry and its easy to lose track of time next thing I know day is almost over and I haven't reached my goals

Hi Ladies, everything you are saying is right. I stay out of the kitchen late at night too, but the T.V. thing while eating I have to work on. I like the tips you guys are giving out. My surgery is December 16, 7:30am

Hi Ladies, everything you are saying is right. I stay out of the kitchen late at night too, but the T.V. thing while eating I have to work on. I like the tips you guys are giving out. My surgery is December 16, 7:30am

Mine is the 17th! My pre op diet starts monday.. so trying to be positive about the next 2 weeks but it will be tough!

You will be able to do it! Keep the end goal in sight and it will help!

My new rule is if I am watching tv, I can have Water and I must be either walking on the treadmill, knitting or doing something productive. Or I can watch tv after I crawl in to bed. But absolutely no eating while watching tv. In fact I won't turn it on with food in the room.

Visited Nut and new habit is making sure to have good food with me at all times, might sound weird but I can go all day without eating and we are breaking that habit...so finding bars and things I can keep in my purse so I have no excuses..

Visited Nut and new habit is making sure to have good food with me at all times, might sound weird but I can go all day without eating and we are breaking that habit...so finding bars and things I can keep in my purse so I have no excuses..

That's a recipe for success! I keep things like meat sticks, Protein Bars, and other non-perishable Protein Snacks in my car, purse, an at work. I also carry a lunch bag with my planned meal and/or snack whenever I leave the house. There is no chance of eating something I shouldn't while on the run. I keep calcium chews in the bag, too. I was not doing well remembering to take my Calcium - I do better if I have it on me when I do remember. :-)

I am 1 month out today....you will not be hungry for awhile so those habits of eating when bored or watching tv kinda go away quickly because you have to force yourself just to get in what you need....one thing I say work on which you have heard from the start...slow down your eating, putin your fork down between bites, be aware of your bites and try to take smaller ones. Your body will tell you after when your going to fast but save yourself the pain and practice now...good luck on your journey!!

You make some very good points! I love reading ur posts! They are always so insightful!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by *Misty*Raine*