Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting The "before" Pictures Ready

Slow day at the office - hope everyone is having a wonderful week -

After hearing many folks say - "I really don't have many before pictures because I hated getting mine taken" I realized that WOW - I don't either, because I dodge and also I am usually the one taking the pictures at many gatherings.

What is really even more upsetting is that when I was younger I have one photo of me before I had my daughter where I was healthy and fit and worked out all the time. I was this way for nearly 2 years and literally have one photo and one Christmas Video on VHS to remember that I can do this, because I did it before.

I will also be SMILING in my "before" pictures that I am taking now, because I look much better when I smile - so no solemn look on my before pictures - I am smiling because I can hardly contain myself that I am 19 days out until my surgery. I'm ready to stop dodging the camera and step out from behind it more often to join in the group shot!

So I took one yesterday at 20 days before - should I wait to do the next at 1 week before or 1 day before? After surgery I will probably make sure to AT least take pictures on the monthly date, along with those weekly weigh-in's where I have a milestone weight loss to go along with it.

Any other tips from those that have been there - wished they had done (fill in the blank) before they started their WLS journey?

Definitely take your measurements. I didn't start taking measurements until about 1 month post-op and SO wish I would have started pre-op. Seeing the inches go away will help motivate you when the scale stays the same. :-)

I also did pictures, I made it a point to set up regular sessions with a professional photographer. I've been taking them about once a month/every ten pounds. I didn't look at any of the pictures until I was 6 months out. WOW! What a difference this surgery makes! I look back at my pictures, and hardly recognize myself. Parts I didn't know could shrink have...my hands, wrists, neck...WOW! Definately take the pictures, and revel in the transformation, because you deserve it!!

Definitely take your measurements. I didn't start taking measurements until about 1 month post-op and SO wish I would have started pre-op. Seeing the inches go away will help motivate you when the scale stays the same. :-)

You are so right! I have that on my list now! I do have a journal from way back when with my measurements from 98-2005 when I would do weight watchers on and off again and it helped when the scale didn't move to see the inches go away! I will try to get that journal out to keep track! Thanks!!!!

I also did pictures, I made it a point to set up regular sessions with a professional photographer. I've been taking them about once a month/every ten pounds. I didn't look at any of the pictures until I was 6 months out. WOW! What a difference this surgery makes! I look back at my pictures, and hardly recognize myself. Parts I didn't know could shrink have...my hands, wrists, neck...WOW! Definately take the pictures, and revel in the transformation, because you deserve it!!

What a great idea, being a photographer myself, I have many friends that I do photo walks with. I may have to book one of them after I'm halfway to goal and again at goal! In the meantime I think I will do the self timer since I usually have sessions I squeeze in for clients out side my regular job where I'm behind the camera then the editing takes time.

Listen to me... Haha ducking behind again ;)

Thank you for the idea for sure... Never would have booked a session for myself, but will defiantly do that in 2014.