Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I just a slow learner? Or did it take you guys forever to learn this, too???

Ok...I have had my band for a little over five months now, yet I cannot seem to 'figure out' that if I gulp my food down and don't chew enough, it gets stuck or hurts. I have not PB'd yet, but I have slimed on occasion.

I probably do one of these boneheaded things each day. I will be eating away ever so nicely -- not a large amount -- just too big of a bite -- and WHAM-O! I end up wolfing a few big bites down. As soon as I do it, I know it is going to be tight. Why can't I remember to take those little bites BEFORE I gulp it down?

If it's not that...about once a week I forget not to drink after I have eaten -- especially if it is something that is a little on the spicy side. As soon as I do, I start to feel like a cat must feel with a hairball.

Is it just me? Or is this a learning process that most people go through? Or were the rest of you smart enough to figure this out after the first or second time you did this?

Any tips would be great...thanks!!

I still do it after 15 months. I notice overall I eat much more slowly but the first few bites of every meal, I really have to stop and remind myself.

Even when I'm eating out and I'm triple aware of it, so that I dont have an embarrassing public incident, I still gulp the first few bites. Its really really hard not to do.

I am almost a year out and I still mess up now and then and eat too fast or a pieces gets by my tongue without being properly chewed. I used to forget and drink too soon after eating or while eating, cause I'd left my Water glass on the table. I stopped leaving my glass on the table! Now I never make that oopsy. I guess the bottom line is we all forget sometimes but it does get easier.

Same here... And the tighter we're filled, the less forgiving our bands are! Up until this las fill, I think I was ok with MOST bites. Now, I have to eat like the doctor says or it's pain for me!!!

You'll get there...

I sometimes do that too. I just completely forget about my band and that first bite is just too darn big sometimes. I usually remember quickly enough though. The other thing I still do, which shows old habits die hard, is I still load my plate up with food at dinner time. I don't know why, because I only end up eating about 1/4 of it, but I just can't seem to break that habit.

Hi Susan

Just a thought- I use a much smaller plate and bowl. My kids made them at a local ceramics studio years ago and they have been in the cupboard for a long time- they're really cute... and they work. A salad plate works too, but not as much fun.

Maybe next time I'll go with my daughter and make one with some inspirational reminders to keep me motivated.... or just laugh! I need a few more dishes (and laughs)

Everyone here is just terrific!

Happy Spring

Kim :kiss2:

223ps/217s/203t/135g

banded 1/30/07

first fill 3/07/09 1 cc

I am 9 1/2 months post op and I am still learning how to eat. I finally got down cutting my meat into very small pieces last night. I was able to actually eat 1.5 slices of tri tip which is a lot of food for me. I need to make sure I get my Protein in for sure.

I can also be forgetful aboaut some of these habits, and it's been a year and a half for me. I am much better at putting the right amount of food on my plate. However, if I am excited (like talking with friends while eating), upset, or otherwise stressed, I will tend to forget and just eat big bites, or eat too fast. This will cause the golfball feeling and pain. Having a band, no matter how much or how little restriction, does not change your thinking/attitude/behavior around food. That's why I advise people to go slow with their fills, and take the time to learn and practice all these new behaviors....even when you practice, you will still blow it sometimes.

I hope you are feeling better after reading all these responses...seriously, I don't think anyone's perfect...so don't beat yourself up over it!

Cindy

Is this a really dumb question... but, does something bad happen if you drink after you eat? I thought you weren't supposed to drink with food only because it would make the food pass through too quickly and you would be hungry again. I'm just got my band 7 days ago and need some advice.

Chrissy, I was told just today that you can sip Water while you eat, just don't drink any. A sip here and there more than likely will not wash your food through. That said, there are definitely two schools of thought about it.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I have a thread around here somewhere, where these very issues prevented me from getting my first fill today. Now I don't feel so bad!!

ChrissyB,

Nothing "bad" happens. There is a survey somewhere on LBT about who drinks with meals and who doesn't. The vast majority doesn't for the reason you stated about the food being flushed through. I find that I don't miss a drink with Breakfast (i have my coffee, take the kids to school and then have my oatmeal) or with lunch ( i have been doing the south beach diet meals and they are usually moist enough to be able to eat). At dinner, since i have 5 to cook for, it is my most healthy meal (i cook things low fat and limit the carbs) and i need to get some of that nutrition in. So i sip if i need to. I'm talking SIP. The top inch of Water in my glass would be more than enough to help swallow anything that is giving me difficulty.

Question: Being only a week after surgery, you are still on ALL liquids right? Most of us have instructions for two weeks of liquids only, then two or more weeks of mushies (food for those with no teeth) and then you can add solids.

Good luck!