Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 35 NYer Hoping to be banded soon

Hello ...my name is Morgan and I am 47 and have steadily gained weight about 40lbs. since my last pregnancy at age 38 to top off the 70lb gain from that preganancy. Prior to that I was a normal weight most of my life but always had a few extra to obessesed over and yes had a metabolism that worked well. Those days are very long gone tho and I can't lose this much weight at this age....I tried everything ...and exercised till I was in danger of injury to 112 or so new diets. I don't have much support on my own with this proceedure and sure could some:girl_hug: some wise words from all.

Hey Sooverit! Welcome to LBT! I'm sorry you don't have much support at home but just come to us, we will be your support! We are all in this together. There is a wealth of info on here (and wonderful people) so read, read, read and ask questions for what you can't find! Keep us posted on how things are going!

Hi Morgan and welcome :)

I'm sorry you don't have much support at home, but this is a good place to find it! I'm 51, and was 96 lbs overweight, so am a low BMIer like you. I can't make any promises, of course, but I've dropped 25 lbs since 2/1 and it sure is motivating! It's slowed down the past couple of weeks as I moved back into eating regular food, but I get my first fill on Thursday, so hopefully it'll kick in again!

Are you already banded?

Hello everyone and thank you from my heart for your warm welcoming and wisdom filled replies to my message. I am still navagativing this system so bear with me. The advice I am finding here is so exceptionally wise and wonderful that even if I am denied an operation as I am 35 BMI I will gratefully use all your wise advice. Honestly, I have not found better advice anywhere.

I am learning that the banding procedure is more a preventative measure to avoid the gains, which to me is the most heartbreaking factor in being genetically obese. Age too...for me plays a part I lost 70 lbs. in my early 30s and kept it off for years, now no matter what I do I can't keep up with the weight gains of hormones (I'm 48) (which my male doctor is clueless about) slowed down matabolism and lack of time....I don't have 2 hours a day to devote to the gym wihch I used to before working and when my daughter was young.

Two of my sibs died prematurely of obesity complications and I don't want to follow especially with a young child. I am finding there are mostly male doctors who specialize in this operation and wondered why? Sorry for the long ramble just had 3 cups of starbucks!

Gratefully yours,

Morgan

Hi Helen:

No I am not banded yet but have come to the conclusion that is the only way for me to stay healthy as I age. May I ask you as you are a lower BMI also, did your insurance cover you? I am guessing it is a long, painful process to get my company Cigna to pay. I have read about buyers remorse which I am afraid would happen to me if I paid out of pocket and go back into debt which I dilgently worked 5 years to get out of! :clap2: and the fact that I am a lower BMI for now at least. My question Helen is did you expereince buyers remorse and how much has this operation changed your life? Also ..sorry for all the ??....did you go through food withdrawal?

I'll stop .....

Gratefully yours,

Margo

I'm a lower BMI bandster and my insurance did NOT cover it. I don't have any obesity related illnesses either. IF you have high blood pressure or diabetes, it seems easier to get approved.

Welcome! You'll find plenty of support and a lot of information here. Feel free to jump into discussions and ask questions. I'm a fellow New Yorker.

I too am looking to be banded soon. My BMI I think in high enough to be covered. The place that is looking into my insurance said that United Healthcare usually does not have a problem covering the band. Did any of you use United Healthcare and what was your experience?

Hi Morgan, the lapband is a great tool. You will not be as hungry and when you get fills you will have good restriction. Keep in mind that for some of us, the weight loss is slower. You can lose an average of 1-2 lbs per week. Good luck.