Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More Input On Dr. Jalil Illan Fraijo , Tijuana

I keep meaning to write my own account of Dr. Illan and Baja Bariatrics in Tijuana (points and areas that others haven't necessarily covered, that is). I will probably come back and edit, but here is a quick subjective account just to get something online:

I had a rough reservation with the very excellent Dr. Aceves for $8750 and a firmer reservation with Dr. Ilan for earlier this month. I promised myself that--with my own research--I would drop the booking with Dr. Illan and just go with Aceves if I could not honestly get comfortable with Illan (after researching him). Some of these things I learned beforehand (and some while I was in Mexico), but these are some points that I discovered about him (and used to make myself and my spouse comfortable):

* FACS -- he is very close to becoming a full Fellow in the American Academy of Surgeons. He should soon be listed there as a "candidate" and soon again as a "Fellow." To be only 35/36 years old and to nearly have this accomplished is impressive. (A certain amount of signatures from surgeons who have supervised or trained a candidate surgeon are required.)

* His main position in life is as Chief of Surgery at Mexico's national/Social Security type hospital (Numer Uno) in Tijuana.

* My driver (from a Medical Tourism company) as I went back over the border is acquainted with many of the bariatric physicians in Baja and he was sleeved by Illan several months ago. He chose Illan after a medical writer (or someone else working in a professional/review capacity) recommended him. This driver had taken her to visit several of the surgeons' OR's in the greater Tijuana area. He was in the OR with her a few times and --while none of the surgeons were terrible or anything-- she told him that (hands down) she would be sleeved by Dr. Illan if she had to choose. The writer told him that Illan was confident, speedy, polite and kept an immaculate OR... she was impressed with how in- command he was and how well his team worked together. She was impressed that the SECOND there might be a bit of blood or mess of any kind in the OR, it was IMMEDIATELY taken care of & cleaned up by the team. Patients have to enter the OR naked under their gowns and she was impressed that he was so respectful of the anesthetized patient at all times, always keeping privates covered with drapes (not that other surgeons were deliberately disrespectful, but she just thought he was affirmatively careful).

* When I was in Florence Hospital after surgery by Dr. Illan, I met the families of a couple of Mexican patients and they told me that he had an EXCELLENT reputation locally (I had explained that many Americans struggle to distill the qualifications of Mexican health professionals and that other more senior surgeons are easier to feel secure with, etc.). This woman's husband was a physician and she told me they would not go with anyone else--they KNEW him to be excellent , precise, intelligent, top of his game, etc.

All of that is still obviously subjective, but it is information that I took in while home researching and away in Mexico just a few weeks ago. I don't believe the driver or the patient's family I chatted with had any reason to exaggerate or pull my leg.

PERSONALITY OF DR. ILLAN -- I dont mind if a surgeon I have selected is less-than-polite or even a jerk if I am satisfied with his credentials and reputation. But I know some people are highly concerned with doctors' bedside manners, so here is my quick description of Dr. Illan's personality/ aura: He is 35 and very quiet in a dignified, gentlemanly way. He radiates a kind of quiet confidence and sincerity and (I believe) shakes hands firmly and looks most people right in the eye when speaking. My mother is a fussy about men's appearance/grooming and she would say he is "immaculate" (clean, perfectly well-fitting, pressed clothes, etc.). He makes the effort to tell people he is so glad to meet them, thank you for placing confidence in him, etc. I guess the shortest description would be kind, classy, quietly-dignified and confident "gentleman."

Many things have been written about his amazingly helpful and knowedgeable practice-manager/coordinator Omar Acosta and florence Hospital (both excellent!), but I thought I would post these other subjective-but-detailed points for the benefit of folks who are shopping and researching!

Great post! I am thrilled with Dr. Illan and his team. I was 11 weeks post op yesterday and down from 326lbs to 251lbs :)

Great post! I am thrilled with Dr. Illan and his team. I was 11 weeks post op yesterday and down from 326lbs to 251lbs :)

Well done Sherry !! - I've been out of the loop for awhile but I'm back and so glad to hear you're doing great !!

Hello to you - it's so good to be back on here. Well I have yet to get to Mexico for my surgery. I was hoping to go this month but it seems fate stepped in again. I need a pet/housesitter (my husband works out of state and I have no kids so I don't have as many options as others) my friend who would normally do this for me is now tending to her son who was involved in a terrible ATV accident last week. This is now the second time I have had to rethink dates again. Very frustrating !!

Kay-you will get there when it's meant to be :) Love my sleeve and I know you will too! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas :) Can't believe it's December.......time if flying. I'll email you a picture....

Sherry - yes definitely email me a photo would love to hear about how you're getting on - I'm so darn frustrated wanting to get this over and done with !!

Hello to you - it's so good to be back on here. Well I have yet to get to Mexico for my surgery. I was hoping to go this month but it seems fate stepped in again. I need a pet/housesitter (my husband works out of state and I have no kids so I don't have as many options as others) my friend who would normally do this for me is now tending to her son who was involved in a terrible ATV accident last week. This is now the second time I have had to rethink dates again. Very frustrating !!

Leslie, I understand how frustrated you are, I'm like you in that I have pets and no children. My husband was however able to stay at home and I went by myself. Don't worry, I know you anxious to get this done, I was too and it took a while to get everything worked out, but it will come and you will be so Happy with Dr Illan, he's the best! I promise!