Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentramine

Did anyone try Phentramine before deciding on WLS? What were your results? How long did you keep the wight off? What were the side effects?

Just Curious.

I lost about 35 lbs on it once. It worked great. It really curbed my appetite. BUT I had incredible dry mouth and heart palpitations also.

And of course I gained it all back and then some after stopping it.

Phentermine is great but once you stop taking the pills, you are going to eat everything in sight. You will gain the weight back that you lost plus more. The side affects are Constipation, dry mouth, not able to sleep...you will be taking benadryl to go to sleep. It is a great pill but it's not long term. I don't know anyone that has kept the weight off after taking phentermine.

My friend is taking it and I'm so worried about it.. She has High BP, Cholesterol, (on meds for both) she drinks like 3 Monsters a day, she takes Sudafed constantly, and smokes like a chimney....

Is is just me or doesn't that just sound bad? I have talked to her but she gets all pissy and defensive....

Just curious..

She has an addiction to (or need for) speed. I mean, really, these things all are amphetamines or have amphetamine effects. I would be very worried. And also, they're not doing her HBP any favors; they're probably exacerbating it.

Does the doctor who is prescribing HBP medicine know about the phentermine? I would bet cash money it's not the same physician authorizing both.

Your absolutely correct. We go to the same doc and he did NOT prescribe her the Phentramine, she went elsewhere for that...

Well, you've stated your concerns and I would watch her carefully. Just remember that phentermine (any speed, legal or not) can also make you short-tempered. I took it twice in the past (under close doctor supervision) and short temper was definitely one of my side effects. I was under a lot of stress the second time but I would fly off the handle at the least provocation. Usually, fortunately, only upon receiving emails from a particularly gnarly boss. But still. I look back and think about the stomping around and anger and wonder what was me and what was medication.

I did it. 2xs. And now sleeved. That's how well it worked. A temporary fix not a long term solution. Plus dry mouth mood swings. Oh yeah. Exorcist style. No sleep.

It's part of the old Phen-Fen diet program that permanently damaged my heart. Your friend has developed a drug habit and is addicted to the speed. She needs professional help. Of course she is defensive and pissy---drug addicts are like that when threatened with the loss of their drugs. She needs a 2 x 4 upside the head (metaphorically speaking) to get her to understand that she is causing permanent damage to her body and that it will make future weight loss efforts even harder.

I have tried texting her articles or showing her articles on how damaging it can be to her heart and she flips in me.. I'm at the point where I now have to just stand back an let her do her thing. Because everytime I try she comes uncorked and starts getting defensive. She also has cysts on her ovaries and has been taking meds to dissolve them and antibiotics.

So let's recap; daily decongestant, mucinex, Flonase, Phentramine, 800 mg Ibuphrophin 3x a day, meds for cysts, antibiotics, 2 types of blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, multiple tall energy drinks a day and smokes a ton! I also believe she is getting norco from a mutual friend....... And she has a HOT temper and I don't like pissing her off. She tends to over react about a lot, she's been breathing really heavy, she's about 5'7 and 230 lbs..

You've done all you can and now you just have to stand back and let her find her own way. At this point, anything you do will only aggravate her and increase her defensiveness. She's an adult and you have to respect her decisions, poor as they may be. The hot temper is most likely a result of her amphetamine addiction. It is most likely causing problems for her at work and with other friends as well. Again, her choice.

You can tell her you will be there when she crashes, because she inevitably will hit some kind of brick wall. Or not.

You have to decide whether to back away from the friendship now. It may give her the jolt she needs. Regardless, right now you need to pull back from this situation and get on with your own life. Take comfort in knowing you are a good friend and you've done all you can.

Edited by TurnThePage

<p>You've done all you can and now you just have to stand back and let her find her own way. At this point, anything you do will only aggravate her and increase her defensiveness. She's an adult and you have to respect her decisions, poor as they may be. The hot temper is most likely a result of her amphetamine addiction. It is most likely causing problems for her at work and with other friends as well. Again, her choice.</p> <p> </p> <p>You can tell her you will be there <em>when she crashes</em>, because she inevitably will hit some kind of brick wall. Or not. </p> <p> </p> <p>You have to decide whether to back away from the friendship now. It may give her the jolt she needs. Regardless, right now you need to pull back from this situation and get on with your own life. Take comfort in knowing you are a good friend and you've done all you can.</p>

Here's the twist, I work with her, she's not only my close friend but she is my boss! Everyone thinks she is a bitch. Some people are even scared to call her!! She throws fits at work too. She kind of acts like a kid throwing a temper tantrum.. We used to hang out a lot but I have pulled back a lot because she's so damn bitchy!

Thanks for your advice! It really helps me make sense of it all!

I tried it once and loved it! It wasn't a healthy love. It's legal (if prescribed) speed! I can definitely see how one could become addicted.

Her role as the boss certainly complicates matters. It must be grinding the staff right into the ground. Is she the owner or does she have a boss? Either her boss or her clients must be very unhappy. As an owner and a senior executive, I would have let go of such a disruptive person in fairly short order.

In this case, you absolutely have to back off 100%. Just shut down the friendship and do your job, then go home. This is a very good example of why not to confuse family and friends with your work group in future employment situations. It almost always goes sideways at some point.

Given what most likely lies ahead, I'd suggest you start job hunting ASAP. When everything hits the fan, anyone who had any role (even a supportive one) in her self-destruction and the downturn in the business may be let go in a clean sweep operation--or you may get her job. Decide whether a fresh start would be good for you as well. Wishing you all the best!

<p>Her role as the boss certainly complicates matters. It must be grinding the staff right into the ground. Is she the owner or does she have a boss? Either her boss or her clients must be very unhappy. As an owner and a senior executive, I would have let go of such a disruptive person in fairly short order. </p> <p> </p> <p>In this case, you absolutely have to back off 100%. Just shut down the friendship and do your job, then go home. This is a very good example of why not to confuse family and friends with your work group in future employment situations. It almost always goes sideways at some point. </p> <p> </p> <p>Given what most likely lies ahead, I'd suggest you start job hunting ASAP. When everything hits the fan, anyone who had any role (even a supportive one) in her self-destruction and the downturn in the business may be let go in a clean sweep operation--or you may get her job. Decide whether a fresh start would be good for you as well. Wishing you all the best!</p>

We work for the State and she has a boss. It's next to impossible to get fired from the state. I have been looking for another job for months now. The whole thing is crazy and she is in denial about it. Now I have quit smoking for my surgery (which she thinks is stupid) And she rolled her eyes and told me "yeah ok, good luck with that!" When I told her I quit smoking. (Have to for surgery)