Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie...stressing Out About A Couple Of Things

Hello everyone--glad to be here! :)

Well, I had my first appointment with my surgeon today and I am ready and rarin' to go to get sleeved. I'm now starting to schedule the laundry list of pre-op testing that needs to be done. I'm hoping to get a surgery date in February.

I'm feeling overwhelmingly positive that things will go well and that the operation will be a success. However, there are a couple things that I'm really worried about:

I'm going to have to take a cardiac stress test. While I can walk on a treadmill, I obviously can't walk too fast or too far. I can go about 3 miles/hour or so, but can't sustain that pace for very long. i'm really scared that I'm going to fail this test. From what I understand, they run the treadmill until you're pretty much exhausted. i don't know how long I'm going to be able to last. My surgeon has reassured me that she's had plenty of patients who were much heavier than me who passed the test and that I shouldn't be worried. But I am. I have an anxiety disorder and the idea of getting my heart pounding really frightens me. What happens if you ask them to stop the test? Does that automatically means you fail? Is there a certain heart rate (BPM) you have to reach?

So...what was the stress test like for you? Do I have a reason to be scared?

Also, my surgeon is going to install a drain. From what I've heard, removing the drain hurts like crazy. That's stressing me out too. What has your experience been like?

Funny, I'm really not afraid of the surgery itself, just these two things. Any feedback you could give me would be SO appreciated! :wub:

First off - breathe and think of the wonderful end results! Second i thought i would be doing a "treadmill" test and i ended up walking around a room - no big deal!

CONGRATS on your decision!

If it's any consolation - I haven't heard anyone say removing the drain hurts. I've heard that people say that it feels odd but doesn't hurt.

Good luck to you!

I had a stress test last year prior to a knee replacement. Because of orthopedic issues, I got to do it lying down, and just had to move my legs around enough to get my heart rate up. It was no big deal.

The drain is a weird feeling. For me I did have a some pain both times I've had them. The feeling is prolonged because of the length of the drain. You don't realize how long it is just seeing it coming out your stomach. The first time I had the drain for about a week after I got home and the surgeon took it out in his office. Most recently it was taken out right before discharge. As soon as it was out there was no pain. My pain was from the aftermath of the actual surgery. I don't say any of this to frighten you I just wanted to give you my experience. Good luck.

The stress test is more to look at how your heart responds under 'stress' (cardio). As long as your ekg looks good, you will be fine. They're really not looking at how fit you are.

I had a drain and I didn't have any pain when they took it out. it does feel a little weird, but it didn't hurt. Having a drain is good IMO - when I saw the stuff coming out in the drain, believe me, I was glad it wasn't just sloshing around in my body somewhere :wacko:

Also, usually the surgeon will have the Fluid from the drain tested to make sure that there is nothing leaking out of your stomach and into the abdominal cavity - it's an additional form of a leak test.

Didn't have a stress test so I can't provide any guidance there, but it looks like previous posters took care of it. I am sure you will do fine :)

I had a stress test. It was the treadmill type. I think I lasted like 3 minutes before I was too out of breath and told them to stop. That is what they told me to do; tell them to stop when I'm too exhausted to go on. They want your heart rate to be at a certain rate for a couple of minutes to test how your heart responds to exercise.

Even if you "do poorly" that can be one more reason to have the surgery. I'm fat. I get winded after a few minutes of exercise to the point I feel like I'm gonna pass out. This is something the surgery may possibly help me with.

There is a chemical stress test. All you have to do is sit in a chair and the put a I.V. in you to administer the chemical.It is for people that have a problems walking. That is what I had.