Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Sleeve A Cure For Emotional Eating?

I went to a sleeve support group this week and I was surprised by the fact that several people claimed that they no longer felt the desire to eat emotionally. I am four and half months out and for the last four weeks I have really been fighting the urge to eat emotionally (sometimes unsuccessfully). I assumed everyone had this problem but obviously not? I would be interested to know what other peoples experiences are after a few months out.

How far out of surgery are these people? Check back with them after 6 months or a year and let's see if they are singing the same tune.

I think my motto for this site should be "It's stomach surgery, not brain surgery!". The sleeve is absolutely not a cure for emotional eating or even hunger for the vast majority of people. I don't see how it could be, as stomach hormones are not solely responsible for the feeling of hunger. A lot of the hormonal process takes place in your brain too. In the beginning while you are healing and re-adjusting it's normal for cravings and hunger to be minimal. Your body withstood major trauma. But these habits and hormones return for a lot of people a few months after surgery or a little further down the line when they are in maintenance. For me the hunger isn't as voracious as it once was, but I definitely started falling back on old habits (not overeating but eating trigger foods and snacking). Trigger foods and snacking are things I will always struggle with. The sleeve helps me to keep portions small, but the rest is up to me.

How far out of surgery are these people? Check back with them after 6 months or a year and let's see if they are singing the same tune.

I think my motto for this site should be "It's stomach surgery, not brain surgery!". The sleeve is absolutely not a cure for emotional eating or even hunger for the vast majority of people. I don't see how it could be, as stomach hormones are not solely responsible for the feeling of hunger. A lot of the hormonal process takes place in your brain too. In the beginning while you are healing and re-adjusting it's normal for cravings and hunger to be minimal. Your body withstood major trauma. But these habits and hormones return for a lot of people a few months after surgery or a little further down the line when they are in maintenance. For me the hunger isn't as voracious as it once was, but I definitely started falling back on old habits (not overeating but eating trigger foods and snacking). Trigger foods and snacking are things I will always struggle with. The sleeve helps me to keep portions small, but the rest is up to me.

Well said!

The initial period after surgery when hunger is lessened gives us time to think about the priority we placed upon food. If we can see how overloaded we were with consumption to the exclusion of more important things we are on our way to solutions and permanent healthy eating.

Here is an analogy that is difficult to relate. When I was a younger man, my hormones dominated my thought processes concerning procreation. Now that I am nearly 65 and testosterone has been subdued I look back over those times and marvel at how much energy was expended both entertaining and resisting those urges. Of course, if I really worked at it and got some shots, I could jump back into the fever. Not interested, the world has quite enough people, my wife has gone through enough, and life is full of other things to think about. :huh: :D

Yeah I am now a little over 3 months out, the "evening snacking" demon has found its way back to me. I always crave a crunchy salty snack late in the evening. So no my head hunger and some emotional eating are still there. My physical hunger has disappeared. SO I am learning to hone in on that. Which has been great during the day, at work we have landmines of bad food, I have not even thought twice about them. I also make sure I bring my healthy stuff with me. But like a switch once 8pm rolls around the gears start moving in my head. I have started a later workout class a couple nights a week. By the time I get home I am working on just fluids and whooped so I am able to avoid the food ideas. I think its going to be a lifelong struggle for me :(

I am 4 1/2 mos out and the last month has been quite a challenge with emotional eating - after surg I thought I would always have a struggle eating enough - hah,, jokes on me. Now the real work begins.

I am very happy with my sleeve, but it is missing one thing... the ability to cure emotional eating! I am 6 weeks out today and have been struggling with emotional eating the past few weeks. Since I'm new, it's so easy to say no, but I do worry about down the road which is why I go to therapy now and try to make as much emotional progress now as I can, because as stated above, it's only going to get harder. I'm glad for the people in your support group, but it's definitely not a cure for everyone. Probably not even for most.

From someone who struggles, the best course is to never get off the good food choices. I know people will tell you not to deprive yourself if you want to have something - it depends on what that something is - if it is sugary and fat laden, my experience is don't do it. Yes, you can regroup and start over, but that is the hard way to go. Once you wake the simple carb demons - they are a tough bunch. I do the best when I eat my high Protein healthy carb foods.

From someone who struggles, the best course is to never get off the good food choices. I know people will tell you not to deprive yourself if you want to have something - it depends on what that something is - if it is sugary and fat laden, my experience is don't do it. Yes, you can regroup and start over, but that is the hard way to go. Once you wake the simple carb demons - they are a tough bunch. I do the best when I eat my high Protein healthy carb foods.

I think that I have to accept that I am the same. I wish I could have the occasional piece of chocolate but unfortunately I still find my self control around this type of food is really low and If eat any type of carb I spend the remainder of the day fighting off sugar cravings.

I'm almost 4 months out and have been struggling with old behaviors creeping in. Mostly late night eating and snacking. I know there are bumps in the road on this journey, but I'm doing my best to take detours. With the Holidays approaching, it's extremely difficult. Parties, Pot Lucks at work, Cookies and sweets everywhere.... Here are the steps I'm taking to stay focused. I purchased the book Small Bites, daily inspirations for weight loss surgery patients. I read it everyday. I'm reading Eat It Up, The complete mind-body-spirit guide to a full life after weight loss surgery, I'm journaling my feelings as well as my food and exercise on Myfitnesspal. It's important that I use all my tools. I'm setting what I believe are achievable goals. I hit the 50 pound weight loss mark this week. I'm hoping to be 150 on Thanksgiving Day, 135 on New Years Day, and my ultimate goal of 125 on Valentine's Day. I've learned to avoid my trigger foods.. peanuts, crackers and popcorn. I've found I get no restriction when I eat those things. I've gone back to Protein First !! Protein and Produce are my best friends. It's just not good enough for me to maintain my weight through the Holidays... I want to continue losing and reach my goals.