Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Exercise Is Everyone Doing?

My surgeon says I need to be walking 3 miles a day within a 45 minute time period. Sometimes, just doing laundry exhausts me. I have no idea how I'm able to do that much exercise so soon (I'm 43 days post surgery). People are posting about all the energy they have so soon after surgery, I'm still waiting on mine to kick in! Maybe doing MORE exercise would help with that?

What types of exercise are you doing and how much per week?

I'm a little over three weeks, and my recovery has been a little slow.

Last week, a dog jumped on me, and hit me near my main incision, so that took a few days to recover from.

Currently, I'm just doing the basic walking that comes with everyday life.

I've been meaning to walk on my treadmill, but by the end of the day, I'm worn out and hurting.

Lately, I've also been having problems with energy levels and not been feeling too well.

At my two week check up, my surgeon said not to worry about exercising, but instead focus on getting in my Water and Protein. He said I needed to heal first, before doing anything other than walking.

I am trying to figure this out too. I know I need more exercise, but right now I am not super energetic. I was sleeved 10/21. I did heal a little slower. (thank blood thinners!) My energy levels are not as I hoped. Once I started getting in my Vitamins daily it helped a lot, but I still need work on Protein and liquids. I have also been on the lower end of calories. All things I am working on, trust me. The next things is exercise. I took my five year old to the local mall to do some shopping last Friday night. I forget the actual distance if you walk the whole mall ( interior) but it is well over a mile, and that does not include going into any stores. We were there for three hours and I was very tired and worn out when we left. It has been years since I have walked that whole mall, so I was pleased about that. It is just a gradual thing for me I guess. I am not giving up or giving in. I am just going with "slow and steady wins the race"!!!

I was sleeved on August 12, and I have found that over time as the pounds fall away I am able to do more and more, so I try to do just that. I'll admit though, since the cold air has settled in over the northeastern US, I don't make it to the gym as often as I should. When I'm there though, starting out, the best piece of equipment was the recumbent bikes. After that, I moved up to the treadmill and now I'm hitting the ellipticals and feeling the pain in the morning.

I was sleeved 13 months ago, approximately. At one month I was walking around the block perhaps twice, five days a week. Really three miles in 45 minutes? Wow! I was still very tired at the end of each day. You should just be in the phase where you are starting to get more "food" nutrition versus just shakes, soft foods, et cetera so it stands to reason that you will be more tired, plus the amount of calories you can eat is very low.

To be honest I only walked (up to 3 or 4 times around my block) until I was 5 months out. At 5 months I had lost about 75 pounds and then I joined the gym. I went to the gym 3 days a week for about an hour. I started out with walking 30 minutes on the treadmill, a zumba class.

Now at 13 months I go 4 days per week, one hour - body combat, body pump, yogalates and strength training. It took me 8 months to get to where I am fitness wise.

I am at maintenance (with perhaps losing another 5) and now concentrating on fitness.

I probably should have started my more diligent exercise before five months, but to be honest at 200 pounds I felt that I could just then begin to manage a more strenuous exercise regime. So listen to your body, get out and walk and do something physical most days and keep upping it as your body gets stronger.

Also when I started the gym I definitely had to up my calories. I was doing a strenuous class and would totally lose steam, so I went from 600 calories a day to 800 up to now about 1000 - 1200 per day.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up! You are on the right track.